What brand of synthetic do you use

Togo

seeing as mobil 1 is the "standard fill" from the factory according to sidewinder ;)

is this what everyone is using? i was going to get Royal Purple but is it really worth the extra $2-$3 a quart that i think it costs?

what about that 15,000 mile Mobil1 oil that they have now (long life or something like that?) they say it's GUARANTEED

Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Clean High Mileage, Mobil Clean 7500, and Mobil 1 Extended Performance protect critical engine parts from lubricant-related failure for 5,000/7,500/15,000 miles -- guaranteed. (Updated March 2006)

OH, and for you Die Hard Mobil1 fans.....they also have the mobil rewards program

http://mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/R..._1_Rewards.aspx

How It Works

When you enroll in the Mobil 1 Rewards program, every time you purchase an oil change or a total of six quarts (a case) of Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, or Mobil 1 motorcycle oil, you'll be earning rewards that can be redeemed for Mobil 1 merchandise or a GiftCertificates.com Super Certificate.

A SuperCertificate is redeemable at GiftCertificates.com for original gift certificates from hundreds of stores, hotels, airlines, restaurants, theaters and more.

When You Purchase an Oil Change

When You Purchase Six Quarts

When You Purchase an Oil Change

It's easy to get started in Mobil 1 Rewards. If you are already a Registered User of www.mobiloil.com, all you need to do is "Opt In" for Mobil 1 Rewards in the profile section of your account.

If you have not registered with the site, you can do so now. You can also register at a participating service facility when you buy your next Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Mobil 1 motorcycle oil oil change. In that case, you will receive your username and password via e-mail, and you will then have the option to modify your username and password when you first log in to www.mobiloil.com

Once you are registered, complete a Proof-of-Purchase form and mail it with the purchase receipt to the address on the form each time you have an oil change. Alternatively, your service facility can send in the form and the receipt, you will just need to provide them with your membership ID (which is your www.mobiloil.com username). 

As you earn Rewards, you can either redeem your Mobil 1 Rewards immediately, or save them and build towards a bigger reward. You will earn $5 in Rewards for each oil change or purchase during your Reward Accrual Period (see the Terms and Conditions for complete details.

When You Purchase Six Quarts

To participate, you must be registered user of www.mobiloil.com and "Opt In" for Mobil 1 Rewards when completing Registration. Users previously registered with the site may also "Opt In" by editing their profile, and accepting the Mobil 1 Rewards Terms and Conditions.

Whenever you purchase a total of six quarts (a case) of Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance or any of the Mobil 1 motorcycle oils, print out a Proof of Purchase form and fill in your membership ID, which is the same as your www.mobiloil.com username.

Mail the "Proof Of Purchase" form and your purchase receipt(s) to the address on the form.

You will earn $5 in Rewards for each purchase of 6 quarts during your Reward Accrual Period (see the Terms and Conditions for complete details).

You can redeem your Mobil 1 Rewards immediately, or save them and build towards a bigger reward.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Togo

• 92ZR1Wannabe

• knkayotte

• r40734

92ZR1Wannabe

I use mobil 1, although Royal Purple is a good oil also.

Mobile 1 is standard fill by GM. I use Royal Purple in the motor, trans and diff. However, Amsoil is a better choice beleive it or not.

The only reason I don't use Amsoil synthetic anymore is that is it only sold by a private dealer and they can be hard to find sometimes and unreliable. Amsoil was actually the first company way back in the early 70s to come up with and market synthetic oil...not Mobil or Royal or anyone else. Just my .02 :D

http://www.amsoil.com/

I know somebody who used to work at royal purple as a technical advisor or something like that anyway he swears by their products not that that makes any difference but I know using thier two stoke oil in my cr 250 made a difference. There was no visible signs of wear and looked almost brand new and that was after a couple of riding seasons :thumbs

I've been using Mobil 1 for years in several cars, and really trust it, but have recently decided that Mobil is making too much money now-a-days. Going to try out Royal Purple for awhile.

I've been using Mobil 1 for years in several cars, and really trust it, but have recently decided that Mobil is making too much money now-a-days. Going to try out Royal Purple for awhile.

not sure i understand that logic - royal purple costs MORE than mobil1

Guest intmd8r
I've been using Mobil 1 for years in several cars, and really trust it, but have recently decided that Mobil is making too much money now-a-days.  Going to try out Royal Purple for awhile.

Yeah, but Mobil probably makes more than Royal Purple overall. ;)

I'm sure there are better oils out there, but Mobil 1 has always suited me just fine. :thumbs

Guest Sidewinder

Alright, you aked for it. These are my opinions and not meant to bust anyones chops about the oil they use. I have done many hours of research on all brands of synthetic oil. Don't ask me "Why do you think that blank oil is better than blank oil", to be honest I have compiled alot of data in my beer soaked brain and would have to do some research to post all of the oil tests from blackstone and bobistheoilguy.com that I read and make me come to the conclusions that I made. My opinion again is that if you run synthetics with a quality filter and you change you oil @ 3K miles in your CAR you have wasted your money. It's your money and I will not tell you what to do with it. Here we go.

1998 Vette - German Castrol 0W30, OCI-7,000, Purolator Pure One Filter

2001 Vette - German Castrol 0W30, OCI-7,000, Purolator Pure One Filter

2006 Titan - German Castrol 0W30, OCI-6,000, Purolator Pure One Filter

2004 ZX-10R - Shell Rotella T 0W40, OCI-3000, Factory Kawasaki

OCI= Oil Change Interval

German Castol (looks green when you pour it) was made by Castrol from '02 to early '05in Germany, it is no longer in production and I have cleaned out many Auto Zone's across the country of their supply.

I have about 47 quarts left. After my stash is depleted I will run Castrol 0w30 in the new formula (regular gold color, made in Germany) in all the vehicles. Castrol 0W30 has shown to be more stable at higher temps than most other synthetics. The Castrol 0w30 on the shelf now is the one with the oil weight in a little red box on the right side. Shell Rotella T has a very high sheer strength at high RPM's that's why that goes in the bike.

I change my own oil and always have. If you don't want to pay someone 80 bucks to change your oil lemme know, all it will cost ya is the price of the filter and oil and we will get-er-done. GM make a good filter so if you want to stick with it you'll be o.k. Mobil is a good oil but not the best in my opinion. Amsoil is a good oil also but I hate not being able to go to the store to get it.

Seems like Royal Purple picks up HP when they do tests by switching the weight of the oil to something very thin for the "after dyno".

SHEILDS UP :D

Mobil 1... but I use 10w40 in the winter and 20w50 in the summer. I need the extra protection on the turbos.

Alright, you aked for it. These are my opinions and not meant to bust anyones chops about the oil they use. I have done many hours of research on all brands of synthetic oil. Don't ask me "Why do you think that blank oil is better than blank oil", to be honest I have compiled alot of data in my beer soaked brain and would have to do some research to post all of the oil tests from blackstone and bobistheoilguy.com that I read and make me come to the conclusions that I made. My opinion again is that if you run synthetics with a quality filter and you change you oil @ 3K miles in your CAR you have wasted your money. It's your money and I will not tell you what to do with it. Here we go.

1998 Vette - German Castrol 0W30, OCI-7,000, Purolator Pure One Filter

2001 Vette - German Castrol 0W30, OCI-7,000, Purolator Pure One Filter

2006 Titan - German Castrol 0W30, OCI-6,000, Purolator Pure One Filter

2004 ZX-10R - Shell Rotella T 0W40, OCI-3000, Factory Kawasaki

OCI= Oil Change Interval

German Castol (looks green when you pour it) was made by Castrol from '02 to early '05in Germany, it is no longer in production and I have cleaned out many Auto Zone's across the country of their supply.

I have about 47 quarts left. After my stash is depleted I will run Castrol 0w30 in the new formula (regular gold color, made in Germany) in all the vehicles. Castrol 0W30 has shown to be more stable at higher temps than most other synthetics. The Castrol 0w30 on the shelf now is the one with the oil weight in a little red box on the right side. Shell Rotella T has a very high sheer strength at high RPM's that's why that goes in the bike.

I change my own oil and always have. If you don't want to pay someone 80 bucks to change your oil lemme know, all it will cost ya is the price of the filter and oil and we will get-er-done. GM make a good filter so if you want to stick with it you'll be o.k. Mobil is a good oil but not the best in my opinion. Amsoil is a good oil also but I hate not being able to go to the store to get it.

Seems like Royal Purple picks up HP when they do tests by switching the weight of the oil to something very thin for the "after dyno".

SHEILDS UP :D

GREAT data - one question.....

first - when you change from green to gold - will your oil change interval decrease or stay the same?

i'll let ya know when i'm ready - and i'll bring the corona and the olives! :drinkers

I use Mobil 1 10w30 year around. I always shoot for 5k changes but often go a little over.

Guest intmd8r

So here's a question from a vette newbie - how accurate is the oil % used in the DIC? Should I pay attention to it or the mileage?

Guest Sidewinder

Stay the same. They only changed a few ingredients in the add pack. The oil is almost as good as the green stuff.

My opinion again is that if you run synthetics with a quality filter and you change you oil @ 3K miles in your CAR you have wasted your money. It's your money.

It's called "Cheap Insurance"....

I would rather pay for a few extra oil changes than the cost of a rebuild...

I prefer Valvoline Pure Synthetic. After tearing apart a motor that ran it for 80K, I couldn't believe the lack of deposits or the lack of wear on the bearings....

I try to keep the change interval between 3000 and 3,500.

I've been using Mobil 1 for years in several cars, and really trust it, but have recently decided that Mobil is making too much money now-a-days.  Going to try out Royal Purple for awhile.

No logic involved. They made a buttload of money with their product, and that's one of the great things about this country; we're still free enough to be able to do that. Like I said, I like and trust their product, I just don't like their business plans for the future. Mobil just shattered the record for the most money an American company has ever profitted in a year, and they still say that they are hurting and need to raise prices. That's :bs

I personally don't mind paying $3 gallon to fill my cars; maybe it will help weed some of the idiots off the road that don't belong there during rush hour, or make the punks down the street park their little fart buckets instead of buzzing up and down the street all night.

Here, maybe this will help explain:

------------------------------------------------------------

"Exxon Mobil has released their 2005 earnings report, and they would like to thank you for their most profitable year ever. As a matter of fact, their 2005 profit is the largest ever for an American company.

Exxon Mobil Corporation said today that its 2005 earnings totaled $36.13 billion, an increase of 42 percent from the previous year. The amount is the largest annual profit ever for an American company?

Earnings for the final quarter of the year were $10.71 billion, or $1.71 a share, up 27 percent from the $8.42 billion, or $1.30 a share, in the final quarter of 2004?

Total revenues for the quarter reached $99.66 billion from $83.37 in the year-ago period."

---------------------------------------------------------------

That's old news, as Mobil has made even more since then. My decision is to help some other American company out for a little while. Spread the wealth! Besides, a few extra bucks per oil change won't break the bank. If it gets to that, then I need to think about selling a couple of cars and getting a better job.

That's all I was trying to say... :flag:flag:flag

No logic involved. They made a buttload of money with their product, and that's one of the great things about this country; we're still free enough to be able to do that. Like I said, I like and trust their product, I just don't like their business plans for the future. Mobil just shattered the record for the most money an American company has ever profitted in a year, and they still say that they are hurting and need to raise prices. That's :bs

I personally don't mind paying $3 gallon to fill my cars; maybe it will help weed some of the idiots off the road that don't belong there during rush hour, or make the punks down the street park their little fart buckets instead of buzzing up and down the street all night.

"Exxon Mobil has released their 2005 earnings report, and they would like to thank you for their most profitable year ever. As a matter of fact, their 2005 profit is the largest ever for an American company.

Exxon Mobil Corporation said today that its 2005 earnings totaled $36.13 billion, an increase of 42 percent from the previous year. The amount is the largest annual profit ever for an American company?

Earnings for the final quarter of the year were $10.71 billion, or $1.71 a share, up 27 percent from the $8.42 billion, or $1.30 a share, in the final quarter of 2004?

Total revenues for the quarter reached $99.66 billion from $83.37 in the year-ago period."

That's old news, as Mobil has made even more since then. My decision is to help some other American company out for a little while. Spread the wealth! Besides, a few extra bucks per oil change won't break the bank. If it gets to that, then I need to think about selling a couple of cars and getting a better job.

not to get too far off topic, but i think since this is MY thread, i'm allowed, that being said.......

i understand the thinking behind the logic, but where do you think royal purple is getting their oil from? from their own refineries? nah, more than likely, they buy from exxon/mobil (i cannot prove this, it is simply speculation) as i'm sure a lot of other companies buy from them too. - perhaps that is one of the things that is keeping them "record profitable"

anywho - don't want to start a war, just wanted to put my 2 cents out on the "battle"

Guest racingchester

What happens if you start using a synthetic on a 90,000 mile engine? Been using Valvoline 10-30. (non-synthetic) Any benefits? Any problems starting that late? Or bettter off staying with whats worked for the engine?

Guest Sidewinder
What happens if you start using a synthetic on a 90,000 mile engine?  Been using Valvoline 10-30.  (non-synthetic) Any benefits?  Any problems starting that late?  Or bettter off staying with whats worked for the engine?

chester,

If you switch to syn you run the risk of an oil leak. If you are dead set on switching go the the Valvoline Maxlife (non syn) and a good filter. Maxlife constantly produces outstanding results in lab test of higher mileage engines. Maxlife gives alot more protection that regular Valvoline.

Guest Sidewinder
My opinion again is that if you run synthetics with a quality filter and you change you oil @ 3K miles in your CAR you have wasted your money. It's your money.

It's called "Cheap Insurance"....

I would rather pay for a few extra oil changes than the cost of a rebuild...

I prefer Valvoline Pure Synthetic. After tearing apart a motor that ran it for 80K, I couldn't believe the lack of deposits or the lack of wear on the bearings....

I try to keep the change interval between 3000 and 3,500.

Dawg,

The Valvoline Syn & Mobil 1 produce the same results in the lab. If you can get the 5 quart jug of Mobil at Wal-Mart cheaper it might save ya a few buck. Both oils have the same amount of detergents in them so the motor would look the same (clean) on tear down. Tryin' to help :thumbs:flag

92ZR1Wannabe

not to get too far off topic, but i think since this is MY thread, i'm allowed, that being said.......

i understand the thinking behind the logic, but where do you think royal purple is getting their oil from? from their own refineries? nah, more than likely, they buy from exxon/mobil (i cannot prove this, it is simply speculation) as i'm sure a lot of other companies buy from them too. - perhaps that is one of the things that is keeping them "record profitable"

anywho - don't want to start a war, just wanted to put my 2 cents out on the "battle"

Id be willing to be that Royal Purples "oil" comes from their own labs/ plants , considering we are talking about synthetics and not refined oils.

Some light reading for everybody

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

Id be willing to be that Royal Purples "oil" comes from their own labs/ plants , considering we are talking about synthetics and not refined oils.

Some light reading for everybody

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

here's an interesting snippet from the link Joe provided us.....

Our own interest in the subject is personal as well as

professional, since we have firsthand experience with the benefits of

synthetic lubricants.  One of our cars is a 1979 GM sedan whose odometer

and maintenance records reveal over 200,000 miles of driving, with never

a missed-beat of its 350 cu. in. gasoline engine, and which has never

once required an engine repair... not even a minor one!

and get this - my odometer on my 1995 chevy truck reads over 200,000 also and has never had a minor engine repair either - and i usually run whatever oil is on sale at the time or has a mail in rebate!

:leaving

Mark - here's another question for you......

so you say regular synthetics should be good for 7500 miles - is that 15000 mile oil from mobil a joke?

AND....what should i switch to on my truck due to the 200,000 miles and the fact that the air conditioning is getting fixed/replaced so i want to keep it around for a while longer yet?

you told chuck to use valvoline max life - is that synthetic? i don't have ANY leaks from this truck with 200K and i want to keep it that way!

Chris, the Max Life is non-synthetic, but it's has some good properties for older motors....

Switching to Synthetic now will mess up your driveway, it did mine in the vette. using dino oil I have almost no drips, if I put in synthetic, it drips worse than worn out milk cow. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules so it will find bad spots where normal oil won't...

You can always try it once, if it leaks then when it's time to change it just swap back to dino oil. But your probably just better off going with Max Life for now...