NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

What did Victor break?

Drewstein

At least it wasn't the infamous Z06 C-Clip failure.

Hopefully we are looking at a new left axle, tranny collant lines, and rear diff heat exchanger (which is were the busted tranny coolant line was connected....from the pic's it looks like the attachement point (bung) to the exchanger was sheared when the inner cv joint grenaded.

Yeah, I guess they put that line going into the cooler in close proximity knowing that the inner CV would never fail and beat the crap out of it. :crazy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FNBADAZ06

• Ted Y

• Two Fangs

• Buccaneer

At least it wasn't the infamous Z06 C-Clip failure.

Hopefully we are looking at a new left axle, tranny collant lines, and rear diff heat exchanger (which is were the busted tranny coolant line was connected....from the pic's it looks like the attachement point (bung) to the exchanger was sheared when the inner cv joint grenaded.

Yeah, I guess they put that line going into the cooler in close proximity knowing that the inner CV would never fail and beat the crap out of it. :crazy

Odd placement/packaging for sure. I would guess that the cv exploding accounts for more rear axle failures than a full shear of the axle shaft itself...dunno :chris

Odd placement/packaging for sure. I would guess that the cv exploding accounts for more rear axle failures than a full shear of the axle shaft itself...dunno :chris

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

I'm just hoping there's a replacement diff heat exchanger available somewhere.....axles and tranny lines shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.corvetterecycling.com/product_p/15910012.htm

***EDIT*** Nevermind, says out of stock, sorry about that.

That's my concern. Several other's who put Z06 diffs in their base cars had difficulties obtaining the diff coolers to retrofit into their cars.

It would have been better to break the axle like this.....

Posted Image

..instead of like this.....

Posted Image

Less collateral damage when the spline shears :banghead

I hear you. At least that ad (and the reason I kept it up) has the GM part number. Maybe Ed can hunt you one down.

Sorry to hear about that Vic! Build it stronger and they will come!

Um not to change the subject and all, but is that Slammer ramming you from behind in your avatar picture? :bolt:

Sorry to hear about that Vic! Build it stronger and they will come!

thank's D......I should be getting the stronger rear axle assembly in the repair :thumbs

Wow, just got back from inlaw-ville and read this...sorry about your baby Victor.

Thanks Dean...At least it was the axle and not the diff.

I should be back on the road soon as long as the rear diff cooler is available :banghead

Um not to change the subject and all, but is that Slammer ramming you from behind in your avatar picture? :bolt:

:lol He really likes that avatar too !!!! :partydance:

WOW! That doesn't look good. :( Is any of that covered by the GM warranty and is this a common issue considering you were not racing...you weren't racing, right!? Hope you get it fixed quickly over at LPM.

WOW! That doesn't look good. :( Is any of that covered by the GM warranty and is this a common issue considering you were not racing...you weren't racing, right!? Hope you get it fixed quickly over at LPM.

GMPP is going out to LPM today. C6 Z06's built before May 2006 (I think) had an axle assembly that proved to be a bit too weak for the factory HP as there were quite a few rear axle breakages in the first year of production (commonly, the driver side...the side I broke). Late in the 2006 production run, GM beefed up/upgraded the rear axle assembly to aleviate the issue, and to date, I think there have been 4 revisions (P/N's) of the rear axles for C6 Z06 cars. Starting in 2009 the Z06 received an even stronger rear axle which it shares with the ZR1.

My car was built 3/2006 and is part of the weaker axle assembly group.

Better to break an axle than a rear diff :thumbs

The axle and clutch assembly are the weakest driveline parts in the Z06 drivetrain.

GMPP is going out to LPM today. C6 Z06's built before May 2006 (I think) had an axle assembly that proved to be a bit too weak for the factory HP as there were quite a few rear axle breakages in the first year of production (commonly, the driver side...the side I broke). Late in the 2006 production run, GM beefed up/upgraded the rear axle assembly to aleviate the issue, and to date, I think there have been 4 revisions (P/N's) of the rear axles for C6 Z06 cars. Starting in 2009 the Z06 received an even stronger rear axle which it shares with the ZR1.

The axle and clutch assembly are the weakest driveline parts in the Z06 drivetrain.

That's awesome Vic and hope you get her done with the "beefy" newer axles. :rockon2: Are you going to do the ZR clutch as well?

That's awesome Vic and hope you get her done with the "beefy" newer axles. :rockon2: Are you going to do the ZR clutch as well?

Gave it some thought on the clutch, but I've got other finacial obligations and vacation to pay for.

At 44347 miles and my driving style, the factory original clutch is holding up really well....might as well take it as far as I can before replacing it :3gears:

Wow....my parts breakage thread has more views and replies than 417 Jays's header/cats thread/poll/question...who'd of thunk it :chris

When his car breaks down - he already knows how to fix it! ...stay thirsty my friends, The World's Most Interesting Man. - He almost broke the land speed record in 1977, popular opinion among his team was that his beard caused to much wind resistance. He would have shaved it. No, no he wouldn’t have. -he once lapped his opponent in a drag race. http://www.themostinterestingmanintheworld.net/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-quotes-top-10/