what should I expect to pay for an oil change?

fourseventeen

Can't go wrong with the GM unless you buy it at Walmart, from what I've read on the big board the filters there are a different configuration. I use the Mobil One filter personally

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fourseventeen

• 1EVLC7

• TheCMSH

• Two Fangs

Guest Sidewinder

was debating to buy the K&N filter but then recalled seeing a post saying that Mobile 1's filter was good so I just bought that...hope thats ok? I was at 40% before I needed it changed but since I bought the car used I wanted to do it a bit early.

K&N filters down to a smaller micron, but not by much. Other than that your good. Basically, you put the factory Delco filter back on just under a different name. No worries there either.

:thumbs

Guest Sidewinder

Can't go wrong with the GM unless you buy it at Walmart, from what I've read on the big board the filters there are a different configuration. I use the Mobil One filter personally

Jim,

They may have been talking about the Duraguard v. Ultraguard or the "new" Delco with the e-core. All are the same filters you get from a GM dealer.

Blue Angel Vette

I have been using the Fram Tough Guard filter. From what I'm hearing, they are not a good filter? Thanks.

Guest 06yumavette

do you have a extended warranty????? if you do mobile one all the way........... if not.. dont go cheap!!! if you need ramps let me know ill loan you mine

Blue Angel Vette

I do, but I wasn't aware that Fram was a cheap filter. First I ever heard this. Thanks for the ramps offer. I have some jack stands now. :burnout2 Edit: Wow, was I snowed. I had no idea that Fram had a bad rep like this. Did some research and will not be using these filters anymore. Thanks.

Anyway I didnt know what "platinum oil" is...this is what sidewinder mentioned.

Pennzoil Platinum

This, unless you can find the new Pensoil Ultra. It's super hard to find though :(

I got a synth Penz oil change at dealership for about $100... they had a special going on the oil and I had to buy 2-3 more qts for the Z... I used to do my own.. but never did a dry sump car , so the first change was at the dealership. I figured the extra $20-25/labor was worth not messing up my car.

Guest Sidewinder

How about Penns ULTRA mark? better?

Ultra is great oil. I believe it was the first to have the new 2011 GF-5 rating. If you want to run it Chuck then go for it with no worries but if you want to stick with the penz platinum then that is fine also. Both are great oils. My used oil analysis with platinum have always had great results.

Guest Sidewinder

Oh, and the old story about a guy who used penz and took his engine apart and it had a wax builup inside cuz penz uses paraffin wax is complete BS. I remeber hearing this story looong ago.

Guest racingchester

As per your advise, I have put Platnium in my 94 Vette and put it in my 00Vete and drnali with napa gold filters. Question...does NAPA have different levels of the Gold filters? One better than another?

Oh, and the old story about a guy who used penz and took his engine apart and it had a wax builup inside cuz penz uses paraffin wax is complete BS. I remeber hearing this story looong ago.

Was that not Quaker State, or is it one of those stories that say "insert the oil name here that you want to bash". Coming from the oil country in western PA we'd hear all the stories and they would just push out rumors all the time about each others brands. Now Wolfs Head is some serious good chit! :leaving