CRAP! I cant get these damn wheels off WTF

fourseventeen

fourseventeen

OK so I went and got the color matched paint to do my brake calipers. I have the back wheel off but can not for the life of me get the front wheel off the car!! All lugs are off but the wheel will not come off the hub! I have taken a rubber mallet to the backside of the wheel from under the car and beat the shit out of it....wont budge even a hair! Tried a pry bar against the back of the wheel and wedge it into the front lower A arm....no luck! Usually you take the lugs off and the wheel pops off! WTF is going on here!!! My stock wheels came off without any issue. Its these damn 360 forged wheels! Anyone have any advice to get the fronts off? I have the car in a spot where I cant leave it for the night so I need to get these darn front wheels off so I can finish this thing. It would look pretty lame rolling around with the rear brake calipers painted and the fronts not.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fourseventeen

• Bigfoot

• jstrutt

• Marco

Top Posters In This Topic

fourseventeen

I doubt it would LOL. BUT seriously....im running out of day light. Grrrr.

fourseventeen

hour and a half later and I still wont budge!!! f*ck this sh*ts pissing me off bad!

OK so I went and got the color matched paint to do my brake calipers. I have the back wheel off but can not for the life of me get the front wheel off the car!! All lugs are off but the wheel will not come off the hub! I have taken a rubber mallet to the backside of the wheel from under the car and beat the shit out of it....wont budge even a hair! Tried a pry bar against the back of the wheel and wedge it into the front lower A arm....no luck! Usually you take the lugs off and the wheel pops off! WTF is going on here!!! My stock wheels came off without any issue. Its these damn 360 forged wheels! Anyone have any advice to get the fronts off? I have the car in a spot where I cant leave it for the night so I need to get these darn front wheels off so I can finish this thing. It would look pretty lame rolling around with the rear brake calipers painted and the fronts not.

Are you sure,

Are you sure,

Well???? ACE minds want to know.........................

Had this happen once and I'm not proud of how I solved it so I'm not officially endorsing this procedure because it's probably wrong. Spin the lugs back on until they're a couple threads from contacting the wheel, put it back on the ground, start it up, and turn the steering wheel completely both directions. See if that will pop it loose. Again, this is probably NOT the right thing to do!

fourseventeen

ALL lugs are off...im SURE. And CMSH...I actually tried that too even though it didnt seem like the best option I ran out of ideas. I got 3 of the 4 wheels off. the drivers front I cant get off still! I bought a can of EXPENSIVE OEM type clear coat that I had put into a spray can...it is only good for 12 hours before it will harder inside the can and be trash. So I am real pressed for time. I bought this can at 430pm today so I have until just before sunrise to get this 4th caliper done or I will be stuck buying another 30.00 can of clear!

fourseventeen

So on that note.... 20 bucks and a beer to the first person who can get the wheel off before 2am without scratching or breaking anything LOL.

Azmotorhead

ALL lugs are off...im SURE. And CMSH...I actually tried that too even though it didnt seem like the best option I ran out of ideas. I got 3 of the 4 wheels off. the drivers front I cant get off still! I bought a can of EXPENSIVE OEM type clear coat that I had put into a spray can...it is only good for 12 hours before it will harder inside the can and be trash. So I am real pressed for time. I bought this can at 430pm today so I have until just before sunrise to get this 3rd caliper done or I will be stuck buying another 30.00 can of clear!

Sounds like the hub center on the wheel is stuck to the hub(undersized) DO NOT Pry the wheel you need to hit the tire hard with something heavy

Whack the tire not the rim 38oz sledge ought to work

fourseventeen

I have been pounding the shit out of the tire with a large rubber mallet. even wedged a 2x4 between the wheel and the A arm and hammered the shit out of that without any success. The other 3 wheels were fairly tight on the hub but they came off with a little rocking motion. this 4th one hasnt moved AT ALL

ALL lugs are off...im SURE. And CMSH...I actually tried that too even though it didnt seem like the best option I ran out of ideas. I got 3 of the 4 wheels off. the drivers front I cant get off still! I bought a can of EXPENSIVE OEM type clear coat that I had put into a spray can...it is only good for 12 hours before it will harder inside the can and be trash. So I am real pressed for time. I bought this can at 430pm today so I have until just before sunrise to get this 3rd caliper done or I will be stuck buying another 30.00 can of clear!

Sounds like the hub center on the wheel is stuck to the hub(undersized) DO NOT Pry the wheel you need to hit the tire hard with something heavy

Whack the tire not the rim 38oz sledge ought to work

Never had that problem but $30 for more clear is a lot cheaper then fing up a wheel. Good luck and keep us informed.

fourseventeen

oh im not gonna fuck up the wheel. Ill leave one caliper red before ill fuck up my expensive new wheels LOL. $2000.00 for a new wheel and 5 weeks to wait for it...yeah that caliper will stay red before that happens lol.

fourseventeen

thanks for that link. tried everything there but the last thing mentioned. I actually thought of doing that but dont have any blocks long enough to do that and home depot is closed lol. We will see what I come up with. I am about to put the other 3 wheels back on the car. Once I do that I will focus more time on getting that darn stuck wheel off. crossing my fingers!

Bromley's Corvettes

I have had to do the lose lugs and turning the wheel and even let air out so it would get more grip lol. The wheels where stuck on the hub so I clearenced the wheels a little and they slip off easy like they should. You can put the can of clear in the fridge it will slow down the harding. Just make shore its up to a nice temp be four you go to use it. You can hold it under warm water for a min or two.

I also read that if you loosen the lugs (not to much so the wheel doesn't get damaged) roll the car back and forth a couple of times, put it back on blocks, hit the tire at 12, 3, 6 and 9 (as in a clock) and see if that works.

fourseventeen

Thanks Doug ill keep that in mind...hopefully as a last resort. Strut...I did that. Loosened the lugs. dropped it off the jack, jerked (shut up pervs) the steering wheel back and forth and rolled it forward a tad, put it up in the air, removed lugs and used a rubber mallet and pounded it as I spun the wheel....no dice! Gonne try it again this time rolling the car back and forth a few feet but that sure does make me nervous lol.

Gear or steering wheel puller? all night pep boys? or ACE dude? or wd 40 to lube teh bitch? Patio chair fabric bag in a crate with grating? is this the BP site?

fourseventeen

What am I missing here marco? How would a gear puller help? LOL. and the pepboys over here closes at 9pm.

What am I missing here marco? How would a gear puller help? LOL. and the pepboys over here closes at 9pm.

I think he's stuck on the word "jerked" you used. Still searching for ya.

The bolts would gave to be washered behind the spokes oops you have the center cap never mind

fourseventeen

LOL. glad you guys can at least make me laugh a little in this time of me being pissed off lol. Strut, thank you. back to the garage I go so I can bolt up the 2nd and 3rd done caliper and wheel. be back in 15 or so to see if I have any updates lol. Then its off to try the 4th and final wheel AGAIN

Ive had luck with sitting on the ground and kicking with the heel of my shoe in the 12 oclock then 6 oclock position back and forth. Make sure the car is secure on jackstands first and maybe cover the wheel with a towel to protect the surface.