NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Name the Phoenix Landmark

Eddie44

WOW! Either you are both long time natives of Phoenix area or just really old...which is it, I'll let you pick. :P Nice trivia though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eddie44

• j123

• Chameleon

• Dvl4evr

Top Posters In This Topic

Old natives! My guess is he was born here and I moved here in 1958. Let's see if Ed knows what was on their site originally.

The drive-in on S Central near baseline. And I think it was Park central Mall on N. Central Ave.

What was the name of the very first air conditioned mall, and where was it located?

ChrisTown between 15 and 19th Ave and Bethany. I was at the grand opening of that mall.

What was the name of the very first air conditioned mall, and where was it located?

ChrisTown between 15 and 19th Ave and Bethany. I was at the grand opening of that mall.

OMG! Damn Eddie. :P

It opened in Aug 61 and I grew up at 13th Ave and Camelback so it was a big deal.

Here's a pic of it as it looked back then. It's one end of lightrail now.

It opened in Aug 61 and I grew up at 13th Ave and Camelback so it was a big deal.

Here's a pic of it as it looked back then. It's one end of lightrail now.

Hey Eddie,

Since you lived so close, answer this: there was a life size metal sculpture of an animal right outside the north entrance on the west end of the mall. What kind of animal was it, and what was the animal's name? (hint: it was a character from a children's story).

Got me on that one! I do remember the huge sand sculptures in the center court and the organ grinder with the monkey but can't place any other sculpture.

Got me on that one! I do remember the huge sand sculptures in the center court and the organ grinder with the monkey but can't place any other sculpture.

I thought you might remember it because it was put there for kids to play on. It was a life-size sculpture of Ferdinand the Bull, sniffing a flower. I remember he was (dare I mention this color) ORANGE.

Okay, here's another one. In the early/mid 70's there were two drag strips here, one eastside and one westside.

What were their names?

Mel Larsen's and Beeline Dragway BRING YOUR CAAMEERRA!!

For those that used to cruise Central... There is a DQ on Central just north of Camelback. What was it back in the 60's - 70's?

Would you two get a room please.

Sorry, had to do it. :lol

:smilelol :smilelol :smilelol :smilelol :smilelol

Hey! I was going to say that!!!!

fourseventeen

Drive-in theatres are gaining propularity. Can anyone name the Drive-In that used to be located on the NE corner of 7th St and Missouri.?

Hint you'd have to have been in Phx about 1975 or earlier to remember this one.

what does propularity mean? I cant seem to find that word in the dictionary :banghead

Drive-in theatres are gaining propularity. Can anyone name the Drive-In that used to be located on the NE corner of 7th St and Missouri.?

what does propularity mean? I cant seem to find that word in the dictionary :banghead

POPULARITY...... SMARTASS!

I blame fat fingers what's your excuse? Better watch your keyboard now that you've thrown down.

POPULARITY...... SMARTASS!

I blame fat fingers what's your excuse? Better watch your keyboard now that you've thrown down.

Yea, Try and STAY ON TOPIC JAY :lol

Old natives!

My guess is he was born here and I moved here in 1958.

Let's see if Ed knows what was on their site originally.

Good guess on the native, looks like we both got here in 58, you just started somewhere else.

For those that used to cruise Central...

There is a DQ on Central just north of Camelback. What was it back in the 60's - 70's?

That's been a DQ since about 1973 that I know of. I'm not sure about before that. . . was it a Mary Coyle's?

There is a DQ on Central just north of Camelback. What was it back in the 60's - 70's?

That's been a DQ since about 1973 that I know of. I'm not sure about before that. . . was it a Mary Coyle's?

It was the place to buy your weed or acid when I was in HS. I worked right down that row of shops at the Baskin Robbins while in HS.

Now I work across the street and look down on that corner from the 11th floor.

It was the place to buy your weed or acid when I was in HS. I worked right down that row of shops at the Baskin Robbins while in HS.

Now I work across the street and look down on that corner from the 11th floor.

Wasn"t the original McDonalds on the S/W quad of that intersection?

It was at Central and Indian School Rd just south.

The S/W corner of Central and Indian School had a Der Weinerschnitzel. The only fast-food place I ever worked. . .

The S/W corner of Central and Indian School had a Der Weinerschnitzel. The only fast-food place I ever worked. . .

Correction, SE corner was DW. I ate lunch there enough in HS that I wouldn't forget. NE was Indian School and NW was empty lot with a billboard. Just north of IS on the westside was Carnation. Just north of that was Shakey's Pizza.

What was the amusement ride next to it?

Can't place an amusement ride but I'll probably remember when you post it.