• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fourseventeen

• Two Fangs

• HOXXOH

• az-gold

$8435??

I'll write the check today.

Screw that, I'll give you an even $10,000. :thumbs Great deal for you.

And you can even keep the wheels.

Blast it. Outbid again. And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for all of these meddling kids......

Turbulent air flow, hmmm. Two Snails, is that only a C6, or ZO6 problem or does it "exist" on C5 models as well. I have the Blackwing on mine and have never seen/felt this issue.

On mine though, you can reall hear that air going in though.

More of an LS3 and LS7 issue. We have had several on the flow bench and have a fix, but it isn't cheap. The new Hitachi MAF is just so sensitive that it picks up airflow perturbations that older style MAF sensors did not have the frequency resolution to capture.

:agree

fourseventeen

LOL ok kids. back on topic here lol. I am going to seal up the shroud and see if that changes anything. ill report back.

Hey, enough of this talk of perturbations. This is a family site. Well, hopefully the Killer Bee is the answer to the problem.

Hey, enough of this talk of perturbations. This is a family site. Well, hopefully the Killer Bee is the answer to the problem.

The Killer Bee/Bee Hive actually causes two HUGE problems on it's own.....extreme tire wear and criminal speeds :smilelol

fourseventeen

I dont mind the tire wear or speed. Just dont wanna see the check engine light on or feel any surging. I just sealed up the radiator schroud so we will see if that helps. To replace it would be a pain in the ass....I would have to disconnect the oil cooler and all that since the hoses are ran right through it.

Marana Rich

The Killer Bee/Bee Hive actually causes two HUGE problems on it's own.....extreme tire wear and criminal speeds :smilelol

Corvettes do that pretty nicely without add-ons!

fourseventeen

well I have put about 15-20 miles on the car since sealing up the radiator shroud and it seems to be running perfect. I wont hold my breath just yet though but so far so good.

well I have put about 15-20 miles on the car since sealing up the radiator shroud and it seems to be running perfect. I wont hold my breath just yet though but so far so good.

Did you stick with the K&N or get a Killer Bee set up?

Corvettes do that pretty nicely without add-ons!

:withstupid

Thanks again Victor. Before you arrived over at Sonic a few of us were chatting and they were saying to cut open the shroud or prop it up. Census there said to cut it open and if later down the road I wanted to put it back to stock a new shroud would cost me 35 bucks. Guess ill be popping for a new shroud sooner then I thought LOL.

Sorry that you mis-understood the conversation. We said the only true cold air intake (CAI) required cutting the shroud. The K&N is not a true CAI, therefore cutting the shroud is not required, nor is it advantageous over propping. Propping open the shroud is an option that was discussed and that is easily reversed at no cost.

fourseventeen

I did exactly what I heard. But regardless...its not anyones fault but my own for cutting the shroud open. I will just have to replace it in the near future. Luckily I cut it out with a razor all in one piece so it was easy to put it back it and just use some black duct to seal it off for now. I kept the K&N in there...no way I could have got a KBII kit in a matter of hours lol.

I did exactly what I heard. But regardless...its not anyones fault but my own for cutting the shroud open. I will just have to replace it in the near future. Luckily I cut it out with a razor all in one piece so it was easy to put it back it and just use some black duct to seal it off for now.

I kept the K&N in there...no way I could have got a KBII kit in a matter of hours lol.

Admittedly the "on hand" availability could be verified with a phone call, but according to the Halltech web site there are two distributors of their products in the valley, so not so far fetched after all, ok?

lol

I did exactly what I heard. But regardless...its not anyones fault but my own for cutting the shroud open. I will just have to replace it in the near future. Luckily I cut it out with a razor all in one piece so it was easy to put it back it and just use some black duct to seal it off for now.

Apparently that was a conversation I didn't hear. I don't know who would have advised cutting the shroud and giving instructions of how and where to cut, but they need to be better informed.

The only discussion I was involved in, included you, Dean, Victor, and Dwayne discussing Vette-air, Vararam (both require cutting), and shroud propping.

Thankfully you didn't butcher it badly.

I'd advise a slower and more thoroughly researched approach to your mods. You just got the car, so step back a bit and determine your long term goals first.

fourseventeen

Victor wasnt involved in this convo since I didnt even meet him until I was leaving. I said I ordered the K&N system. Someone mentioned cutting the shround out around the filter. And my response was " i guess it looks like ill be cutting that shroud out then" BUT regardless...it was my choice to cut it out and yeah I should have researced the idea more but whats dones done. I dont dwell on the past. Good thing is I didnt butcher it and its a cheap piece to replace someone said. But long term....I had that laid out b4 I bought the car. intake, exhaust and as far out as I can see thats the only motor mods the car will see since it is still under an extended warrantee for 2 more years (or 72k miles which it will never see as long as I own it)

I don't know who would have advised cutting the shroud and giving instructions of how and where to cut...

Oh that was probably me.... D oh!

I was talking to Jay and cutting was something that came up as an alternative to get cold air to the filter, I didn't really think Jay would dive in with the razor blade slashing so quickly, so I'm the knucklehead who should have thought before I opened my mouth.... (wheres the foot in mouth smilie?)

I'll buy you a new shroud if you want Jay, it'll teach me to not modify other peoples rides... :banghead

I don't know who would have advised cutting the shroud and giving instructions of how and where to cut...

Oh that was probably me.... D oh!

I was talking to Jay and cutting was something that came up as an alternative to get cold air to the filter, I didn't really think Jay would dive in with the razor blade slashing so quickly, so I'm the knucklehead who should have thought before I opened my mouth.... (wheres the foot in mouth smilie?)

I'll buy you a new shroud if you want Jay, it'll teach me to not modify other peoples rides... :banghead

I say let bygones be bygones :thumbs

Jay, these cars can respond extremely well to mods that would have caused bad drivabilty issues on engine packages that are just a generation older.

Likewise, some old school mods that you would think would be great (because they worked extremely well on the older generations) cause flaky drivabilty issues that on face value don't make any sense why the wouldn't/don't work.

My advice is to tread lightly while you're learning about the new ride..... read, read, read, and were possible, talk with and get some hands on experience with local members who have the mods you're wishing to perform (just like hooking up with Dave on the Fusion exhaust :yeah: ). Parts for this car are not cheap, and the forum is littered with owners that have dumped small fortunes into eeking out that last bit of performance.....some successful...many complete failures.

fourseventeen

Dwyane dont worry about it...its not ones fault but my own. You can help me install it though ;) LOL j.k buddy. I dont recall who it was that said cut cut cut LOL but I got a little gun hoe on getting the cold air in the engine and cut. Its minor so not a big deal and its sealed up and I think it solved the problem. I have got about 40 miles on the car now since I sealed it up and so far so good. Victor thanks again for that info buddy I really do appreciate it.

Guest LOUDMIKE

I kept the K&N in there...no way I could have got a KBII kit in a matter of hours lol.

i know I am doing wrong but just cant help it. Since this is an orange car you should have used the grey duct tape. If this was a red or black car you could have used the black tape. Faster tape on slower cars will always affect the time flux continuum.

Marana Rich

Don't feel bad. I cut the shroud on my car to install a Vararam. I had a piece of plywood to protect me from cutting through to the condenser. After I finished I noticed a little extra still hanging there, so I took the razor and by george, nicked the condenser. 600 dollar mistake. Vararam and black duct tape gave me very noticeable improvement in performance. Gung Ho - old chinese saying. Very popular with those who have served in the Marine Corps. All Z06's should be painted black. Other colors only look good on a "normal" Corvette.

All Z06's should be painted black. Other colors only look good on a "normal" Corvette.

QFT

fourseventeen

QFT? Anyway 40+ miles after sealing up the shroud and no codes, no surging....runs like it should ;) Now I just need to order up a new shroud