Stutter/surge after intake install?

fourseventeen

fourseventeen

Got my K&N intake system today and installed it. I notice (especially when in 4th around 65-70mph) while im cruising with consistant pressure on the gas pedal that the car surges a little like its losing a little fuel then getting fuel again. Its minor but I KNOW it wasnt doing this before the intake. I drove about 25-30 miles today after the intake install and its still doing it. When I mash on the throttle the car gets up and goes...no hesitation. Is this common when installing a new air intake on the Z06 and will that surge go away soon? Any help is appreciated. UPDATE: And now the check engine light is on!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fourseventeen

• Two Fangs

• HOXXOH

• az-gold

Guest Sidewinder

Make sure the part that hooks up to the throttle body is on all the way. Sometimes the bottom will slide off leaving a gap that you can't see cuz its on the bottom of the TB. If not then you may be looking at getting a dyno tune

First thing I'd check is the air bridge. Feel all the way around and make sure it's not sucking air underneath. It's really easy to collapse it when installing. My C5 had collapsed underneath when I first installed it.

fourseventeen

nope the throttle body rubber thingy is seated all the way. the bridge is very hard...no way that thing could collapse unless I ran it over lol. I just read online somewhere that you should drive 40+ miles before the ECU will adjust for the extra air coming in with the new intake??

Depending on how you drive, it can take 50 to 150 miles for the LTFT to find the sweet spot. If you would have gone to the Tilted Kilt today it probably would have stabilized by now. :smilelol

fourseventeen

I just went to go take it for a spin again to put a few more miles on it....and the check engine light came on when I went to pull out of m y driveway!!! WTF. Grrrrrr. Now what?

How oiled up was the K&N? I'd say pull codes but I think your C6 requires a plug in reader.

fourseventeen

Yeah the C6/Z06 requires a plug in...which I dont have lol. K&N didnt look like it had much oil but im gonna pull it off and inspect everything again. I am 99% sure I did everything right. I have installed dozens of air intakes before (though never on a C6/Z06) and have never once had an issue.

WOW! I didn't realize that just putting on a silly aircleaner would be such a big deal ( for the motor that is), but I guess so huh. :facepalm:

fourseventeen

never been an ordeal for me in the past till this damn z06. Had it for a few hours and im ready to toss it! I dont want to cause K&N claims 27hp with it but I dont wanna mess up my LS7 either!

I talked to the guys at Sand's Chevrolet about doing this when I got my Z last September and everyone of them had nothing good to say about what they'd seen when people had done this. Just my 2cents.

fourseventeen

thx gold. I talked to over a dozen people who have done the air intakes on their C6 or C6Z and not one of those people said anything negative. I did some research on the net after I installed it and have seen other people complaining about this same issue. I just yanked the K&N stuff all apart and noticed the carbon fiber ring on the filter element its self was a little deformed...and had a small area of air coming in around the edge of the filter...bot not sure this way play any role in my issue since it is still long before the sensor. BUT I took a little black silicone and filled the tiny spot. So ill take her for a drive again later and see what happens. Would really surprise me if that was the issue.

thx gold. I talked to over a dozen people who have done the air intakes on their C6 or C6Z and not one of those people said anything negative. I did some research on the net after I installed it and have seen other people complaining about this same issue. I just yanked the K&N stuff all apart and noticed the carbon fiber ring on the filter element its self was a little deformed...and had a small area of air coming in around the edge of the filter...bot not sure this way play any role in my issue since it is still long before the sensor. BUT I took a little black silicone and filled the tiny spot. So ill take her for a drive again later and see what happens. Would really surprise me if that was the issue.

From your own post some say no problem and other's say they have a problem.

Believe what you want.

I was only sharing personal experience, not heresey.

fourseventeen

gold I think you misunderstood what I said. BEFORE buying the intake I talked to over a dozen people who all said great things about doing the intake...thus the reason I ordered it. AFTER installing it and my problem occured I searched the net and read about others who have had this same issue. You were indeed sharing hearsay (check your spelling of the word)...you said the people at Sands had nothing good to say. Thats hearsay last I checked. Personal experience you didnt speak about that I see in this post? I think I have been sensing some hostility with you? :unsure

gold I think you misunderstood what I said. BEFORE buying the intake I talked to over a dozen people who all said great things about doing the intake...thus the reason I ordered it.

AFTER installing it and my problem occured I searched the net and read about others who have had this same issue.

You were indeed sharing hearsay (check your spelling of the word)...you said the people at Sands had nothing good to say. Thats hearsay last I checked. Personal experience you didnt speak about that I see in this post?

I think I have been sensing some hostility with you? :unsure

I think he meant heresy. (defined as dissent from a popular theory or opinion)

gold I think you misunderstood what I said. BEFORE buying the intake I talked to over a dozen people who all said great things about doing the intake...thus the reason I ordered it.

AFTER installing it and my problem occured I searched the net and read about others who have had this same issue.

You were indeed sharing hearsay (check your spelling of the word)...you said the people at Sands had nothing good to say. Thats hearsay last I checked. Personal experience you didnt speak about that I see in this post?

Sorry for sharing some advice that was offered up by those people who were formally trained, and held documentation attesting to having been trained, in the specifics of our cars, as opposed to an assortment of although well meaning folks with varying degrees of undocumented experience with only an opinion on something that they themselves probably had no business getting involved doing in the first place. Buying a set of wrenches doesn't necessarily make a person a mechanic.

Evidently more research of a much broader scale BEFORE attempting to do this may be the real lesson learned here.

As for the the accusation of hostility, I think that you are overly sensitive. Try lightening up some, we're a fun bunch, and as you will learn, can take it as well as dish it out.

:partygrnhat:

fourseventeen

No issue with offering advice. Just prefer advice from actual experience as opposed to what joe told sam and sam told mike. I owned an auto detailing and accessorie shop for 11 years before coming out to AZ. I have personally installed over 100 air intake systems on various car types (just never a C6/Z06) and have never once had an issue like this personally. I think I am pretty well rounded when it comes to working on cars. The reason for the hostility comment is because you have made negative comments a few times now in posts ive made. I am pretty thick skinned (gotta be to have the job I have had the past 2 years) so I can take a joke and people messing around but I didnt see any of the comments as a joke. But if thats your personality and way of being funny then so be it :drinkers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearsay

But anyway....back on topic here please. Trying to gain some useful info to fix this issue :thumbs

From Mirriam-Webster:

Main Entry: her·e·sy

Pronunciation: \ˈher-ə-sē, ˈhe-rə-\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural her·e·sies

Etymology: Middle English heresie, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin haeresis, from Late Greek hairesis, from Greek, action of taking, choice, sect, from hairein to take

Date: 13th century

1 a : adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma b : denial of a revealed truth by a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church c : an opinion or doctrine contrary to church dogma

2 a : dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, or practice b : an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards

But I already told you what the fix was. Just go drive the car and the LTFT will auto adjust. You still have hot under-the-hood temps and now you have an air filter that flows more air due to less filtration. If you switch back and forth between the K&N and the OEM filters or provide a cold air source, you will have to repeat the process each time.

fourseventeen

thanks hoxxoh. could have did without the english lesson but the other info is helpful thanks. I opened up the shroud as well so its drawing some air from outside of the car but im sure is still pulling most air from under the hood. I pulled the battery cable, un installed the entire K&N system and went through it to make sure everything was installed right and put it back together. Ill drive it tonight and tomorrow to see how it goes. Thanks bud

On topic... Your check engine light is more than likely due to a lean condition because of too much air. Could be a leak that the MAF sensor is not reading or the fact that you are getting a whole lot more air that the computer is taking too long to learn. Best thing is either put the stocker back on until you can get it tuned or :xfinger and hope it learns it quickly. My bet is their is a leak somewhere allowing unread air into the intake.

I thought I was confused, but it's becoming VERY clear to me now:

In the "General" section of this forum, the thread entitled "ACE is looking sharp, thanks to the Buck", post #19 :

"John...I guess you dont know yet that I am a very sarcastic person!" - fourseventeen

So, more sarcasm, eh?

:partygrnhat:

And now back to our original topic...

And that's what I was told when I asked about this, the car's system has to learn that it's operating conditons are now different and self adjust which takes time. And of course, mod'ing the tune while under warantee is as always a personal decision.

Ok, lets keep it civil and ON TOPIC!!! If you guys need to hash something out, TAKE IT TO PM!!!!