Mentoring new members

Desertdawg

My "self inflicted" introduction to "Mr. Dawg" was a mistake. I've received a friendlier greeting from a ticked off rattler.

I'm sorry, I would like the chance to meet you again at another event...

As for the others, I'm not sure how this would have happened. I would apologize for the group, but I've never seen the behavior you say took place.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Bigfoot

• wickedfastvette

• Wishbone

wickedfastvette

Maybe we can get some of the new members to come to the lunch on sunday, it's much easier to get to know some people face to face. I personally try to send a PM to all the new female members and welcome them to the club, because we are definately a minority around here.

I totally get Larry's point and I think it's great idea to help new members get introduced. I don't take much on this forum too seriously, what would be the point? However, to anyone observing, our "in fun" jabs may seem a bit...combative? We all need to remember to keep our community a welcome place. Anyhow, I didn't get to know anyone until I showed up for an event (it was detail day at Ed's house and he rubbed sandpaper on my Black paint!!!). The name tags are a huge help!

Larry (or any new folks for that matter),

Come out to an (another) event. Sunday is our May lunch, It would be great to meet you!

:ACE:

Guys - believe me - there was nothing said or done that was so bad as to keep me (us) from attending another function. Just "offering" up a rather myopic view of what I saw from the time I first visited the ACE site until now. I realize and understand that it was a stressful day, the day of the BBQ ,for Dawg and a few others. My hat is off to him and those that pulled this function together as it was a very nice "outting" for the "membership" I could see a lot of interaction happening - and that's what this is for. Bigfoot - no need to apologize for the group . . . unless you told them to act that way . . . and I know you didn't. Most of the regular membership needs to know that they are ALL "ambassadors" of ACE and that everything they say and do is carefully noted by new members. And while we obviously can't control the actions of others - it would be nice if they all recognized this. (I know - it would be nice if we all had a truck load of $100 bills too) It would make your jobs of getting new members a heckuva lot easier. There are still plenty of other "regular" members around to toss your barbs and jokes at - and most all love it - save that nice fellow that had that unfortunate mishap at the '09 BBQ (I wasn't there - but did read ALL about it this year) Mr. Dawg: I'm sure we will meet again - and hopefully it will be under less stress for you. I believe that ACE is a great organization and you all are great folks (hell - you drive the RIGHT car). Don't think there is much of a chance of there being 14 left and then in the dumpers - you recognize (before my post) that something needs to be done - and that's the beginning of the turn around. Before it can happen, everybody has to believe that there is a situation that needs help - which you do - therefore it will be successful.

Guys - believe me - there was nothing said or done that was so bad as to keep me (us) from attending another function.

Just "offering" up a rather myopic view of what I saw from the time I first visited the ACE site until now.

I realize and understand that it was a stressful day, the day of the BBQ ,for Dawg and a few others. My hat is off to him and those that pulled this function together as it was a very nice "outting" for the "membership" I could see a lot of interaction happening - and that's what this is for.

Bigfoot - no need to apologize for the group . . . unless you told them to act that way . . . and I know you didn't. Most of the regular membership needs to know that they are ALL "ambassadors" of ACE and that everything they say and do is carefully noted by new members. And while we obviously can't control the actions of others - it would be nice if they all recognized this. (I know - it would be nice if we all had a truck load of $100 bills too) It would make your jobs of getting new members a heckuva lot easier. There are still plenty of other "regular" members around to toss your barbs and jokes at - and most all love it - save that nice fellow that had that unfortunate mishap at the '09 BBQ (I wasn't there - but did read ALL about it this year)

Mr. Dawg: I'm sure we will meet again - and hopefully it will be under less stress for you. I believe that ACE is a great organization and you all are great folks (hell - you drive the RIGHT car). Don't think there is much of a chance of there being 14 left and then in the dumpers - you recognize (before my post) that something needs to be done - and that's the beginning of the turn around. Before it can happen, everybody has to believe that there is a situation that needs help - which you do - therefore it will be successful.

I attended the Gila Bend BBQ as my first function.....

Yeah, it was great that you come out but that would be intimidating to anyone to have that be your first event. Believe it or not, I'm a pretty quiet and reserved guy and to have been in that massive crowd trying to join in for my first get-together......I would've done the same as you honestly and split. When I joined up it was when Ed (BlewXU) put together the north side get together and I was really fortunate the Ed & Cherye both spoke up when the saw me in my Corvette shirt and honestly welcomed me like family. I think it would be great if there were other "splinter" groups where people could get involved and get to know other people in smaller doses. Once you know some peeps which have been around for awhile it's much easier to transition to the larger group because you have some established friends which can then introduce you to other people at the larger events. Have I rambled on too long?

C6Speed and WFV - thanks for the reminder (and invite) to Sunday's event at the Tilted Kilt (I think). I (we) will see what the weekend brings for us as there are some family functions going on that tend to run a little long here and there and . . . well, y'all know about that stuff. The other thing is, there is a "fair piece of desert" between where I live and that Bell Rd address. Almost have to pack my lunch to go have lunch. The address says Queen Creek - but there are days when it seems that we live closer to Florence. It is incumbent upon me to get my "arse" to more ACE functions, so that I can meet some of you . . . now that I've shot my mouth off. As they say - if you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. :leaving

C6Speed and WFV - thanks for the reminder (and invite) to Sunday's event at the Tilted Kilt (I think). I (we) will see what the weekend brings for us as there are some family functions going on that tend to run a little long here and there and . . . well, y'all know about that stuff.

The other thing is, there is a "fair piece of desert" between where I live and that Bell Rd address. Almost have to pack my lunch to go have lunch. The address says Queen Creek - but there are days when it seems that we live closer to Florence.

It is incumbent upon me to get my "arse" to more ACE functions, so that I can meet some of you . . . now that I've shot my mouth off. As they say - if you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. :leaving

wickedfastvette

C6Speed and WFV - thanks for the reminder (and invite) to Sunday's event at the Tilted Kilt (I think). I (we) will see what the weekend brings for us as there are some family functions going on that tend to run a little long here and there and . . . well, y'all know about that stuff.

The other thing is, there is a "fair piece of desert" between where I live and that Bell Rd address. Almost have to pack my lunch to go have lunch. The address says Queen Creek - but there are days when it seems that we live closer to Florence.

It is incumbent upon me to get my "arse" to more ACE functions, so that I can meet some of you . . . now that I've shot my mouth off. As they say - if you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. :leaving

Guys - believe me - there was nothing said or done that was so bad as to keep me (us) from attending another function.

Just "offering" up a rather myopic view of what I saw from the time I first visited the ACE site until now.

I realize and understand that it was a stressful day, the day of the BBQ ,for Dawg and a few others. My hat is off to him and those that pulled this function together as it was a very nice "outting" for the "membership" I could see a lot of interaction happening - and that's what this is for.

Bigfoot - no need to apologize for the group . . . unless you told them to act that way . . . and I know you didn't. Most of the regular membership needs to know that they are ALL "ambassadors" of ACE and that everything they say and do is carefully noted by new members. And while we obviously can't control the actions of others - it would be nice if they all recognized this. (I know - it would be nice if we all had a truck load of $100 bills too) It would make your jobs of getting new members a heckuva lot easier. There are still plenty of other "regular" members around to toss your barbs and jokes at - and most all love it - save that nice fellow that had that unfortunate mishap at the '09 BBQ (I wasn't there - but did read ALL about it this year)

Mr. Dawg: I'm sure we will meet again - and hopefully it will be under less stress for you. I believe that ACE is a great organization and you all are great folks (hell - you drive the RIGHT car). Don't think there is much of a chance of there being 14 left and then in the dumpers - you recognize (before my post) that something needs to be done - and that's the beginning of the turn around. Before it can happen, everybody has to believe that there is a situation that needs help - which you do - therefore it will be successful.

I normally send a PM to all new member I intro, welcoming them and telling them if they need any help to ask a member, mod or admin. I have helped those who asked for help posting, sig edit etc. There is a large number of people that register and never even come back - their first day is their last day here....

There are many many members that never or rarely post, I see them logged in and browsing, but they never say anything? Maybe some people are just not the internet 'chat' type and that's okay, but if you got something to share - share it. Forums work because of member input and not just from a few members.... if you get something out of this forum, give back and participate peoples!

I like the ACE 101 idea - Pinned into the Members section, I can add a link to this also in my welcome posts.

:ACE:

I'm one of "those" guys that PV mentions - a silent browser. I look for things and activites to join in with so that "maybe" I can feel accepted into the group. I realize that sounds a little "harsh", but if you dial into the ACE site, the first time, as a newbie, it does appear that one has landed in the middle of a chat room between 5 or 6 good friends. While to say (as Wishbone once mentioned) that there are "cliques" might not be exactly correct, it does, however, to appear that way to most "newbies" after visiting the site just a few times.

The mentoring program is a good start . . . but it can't just be "on-line". It must carried on out at the functions/events and be continued for a period of time. The mentor can not abandon the newbie at these functions or all will be lost. If you want to exchange pleasantries and/or barbs with one of the other members, call them over - or go over to them with your newbie in tow, and introduce them. They have to feel like they are part of the group.

I attended the Gila Bend BBQ as my first function - and felt like a total idiot. We didn't stay long - no one to talk to and because we were an unknown commodity, we were not approached either. We tried striking up converstations with several members - just to get stranded. Nice folks with the new DSO - tried to ask questions, but there was something else more important to do. And then there's "Mr. Mouth" from Canada who immediately made fun of my home town name. If you don't know me - and I don't know you, it's best to keep the conversations "vanilla" until we know each other. My "self inflicted" introduction to "Mr. Dawg" was a mistake. I've received a friendlier greeting from a ticked off rattler. Com'on folks, first impressions are HUGE. If it weren't for that nice fellow in the "other" Poplo C4, that outing would have been a COMPLETE bust. If you want us to come to your functions and support the club, you have to "pretend - and make us believe" you want us around. I know you're all not Academy Award winning actors . . . but we're gonna need your help.

The questionaire isn't a bad idea - at least the "general membership" gets to see a little more about a newbie - and maybe will give that member a "head start" in being a mentor. Maybe there is something in common that could really spark a friendship.

I'm sure that this post will draw fire as I've been watching now for several months how most of you all tend to "BBQ" everybody that posts up. Probably another reason why some of us don't post very often. I'd please ask that, in this case, as my mom once said, "if you don't have something nice to say, dont' say anything at all".

I understand exactly where you are coming from as Dwayne and I have had a discussion about this over the phone in great detail. The man is devoted a lot of his personal time and money in every aspect of this Club. I commend him as well as all members that contribute day in and out.

I expressed my personal feelings and views of the club as a new member myself. It is hard at times for veteran members to see things the way new members do and once again communication is key to effectively addressing the situation.

I commend you for stepping forward and expressing your thoughts.

Another sugestion that I had was to have chapter representatives that would take care of there local chapter or area as a rep. They would have small job duties to help in many different areas of the club to include representing the club to new members.

After physically pushing my way through the door with a lot of people here at ACE I now feel like part of something great. Ace to me is apart of my family. Ace has shown with Phills situation just how powerful this club really is. I was blown away by the event and was deeply touched by the actions when Ace was called upon for support. So I know this is my home for me and my Obsession with Corvette's. But I do see many gaps in our club that we need to address, such as meet and greet, representatives, shirts and other Ace stuff to be proud of having as a club member. this can go on forever, and I realize if we are going to come up with concerns, we should come up with possiable solutions and not just gripe.

I am willing to step up to the plate for the Club ARE YOU?

9Tthree, thank you for sharing your story with the family, I would love to meet you on Sunday if you so choose to come out and participate. Myself and my lovely bride Angie will be there, hope to see you.

WISHBONE OUT

DeviledVette

I know how 9Tthree feels. Im semi-new to the forum, and the AZ Desert Goat forum as well. Don't know that many ppl from either forum in real life, save a handful of members I have met in person to sell or buy stuff. I went to the LPM BBQ a couple of months ago as my first event for either club. The only person I knew was Jason from LPM. And I felt exactly like 9Tthree, OUT OF PLACE. If my GF hadnt been with me, I would have felt even more out of place. Everyone was in their clique, and its hard as a newbie to join in. That was the one and only event I have gone too since then.

DeviledVette

Also, with Cale reminding me (one of the few here I know IRL, I bought his Bullets which he regrets!) about the lunch this Sunday, I should be making it out to tilted and hoping to meet more members and eventually becoming more active with the club.

OMG :willy In the words of an infamous Japanese Admiral - I think I have "awakened a sleeping giant." My apologies to Dawg and the staff of ACE.

I think one of the things that might be going on here is we are not a "formal" corvette club. We are a colledtion of people who love the vette. We don't have any officers or "code of conduct" as it were. Anyone who registers is a member. Hence the reason we don't have a "welcome wagon crew" to reach out and touch new members. Are we moving in that direction...dunno. But seeing a lot of these comments it seems we do need to do something to make people feel more welcome. But because of the way this "club" isn't organized may be why sometimes people feel left out. This lack of "organization" is one of the reasons a lot of us like ACE for what it is. I for one do not want to see us become one of those "formal clubs." Can we make things better through this type of conversation??? ABSOLUTELY But it will take time to make anyone feel welcome no matter what when we have a rag tag bunch of hooligans (which we love) in this group. :2cents:ACE::grphug:

AZ-Gold and Deviled Vette, I would definately not expect you guy's to step up to the plate and contribute right now, you are brand new to the club. When I first came home with the car of my dreams I was behond estatic. I kept telling myself this isn't real, I am in a dream and will wake up. I just wanted to sit in the car all night long. My wife and I laid in bed and I was talking about all of my childhood dreams of cruising in a Corvette.The dark blue sky, rolling clouds, wind blowing with the sound of that recognizable V8 rumble fading in the distance. I dont think I got more than an hour of sleep that night. I woke up and had to take a lawn chair out to the garage and sit about ten feet away and stare at what I have worked for so long for. I am talking atleast 15 years, angie my wife can contest. When I joined ACE, I was overwhelmed with the knowledge and experience the members on the board had. Of course I am a very outgoing person and have a mechanical background. But I had no clue about anything really about the Corvette lifestyle. All the little things about how and where to take your car, who to take it too for service. Well just about anything and everything you can imagine when it comes to the pride of ownership for your car. Now I am a half retired Captain/Paramedic for the Fire Dept., Long story short, I was reactivated for full duty just last week, so I will be returning back to the Fire House lifestyle soon. Ok, anyway, I am not shy to say the least and have spoken as well as taught classes to large audiences. But the first time I was going to one of the ACE events, I remember shaking so bad, I kept telling myself this is rediculous, I should just go home. But I didn't, I kept driving to Hooters hmmm Hooters YUM. Ok, when I got there I saw all of these Goergious cars sitting out in a full parking lot and it hit me like a ton of bricks. They are going to smell me from a mile away as fresh meat, the newbie, rookie, nothing of importance to the Club. I gathered my super strength and kept walking towards the happy go lucky crowd. I told myself to just start saying hello to people and try to draw up a conversation. Which brings us to my first encounter to the biggest outspoken, fun and loveable guy I have ever met VICTOR...... Even though he was a rookie to the club, man oh man did he take a lot of weight off my shoulders. I stayed the entire night and had a great long discussion with whome we all know as CHAD, you know the character that steals all of the attention. HE took the time out to give me some really good pointers and actually told me the dont's to my car even though I might think I know how to drive a car, you have never owned one with this kind of horsepower and to keep all of my NANNIES ON. Thanks Chad, best advice still to this day. I felt everything that you guys felt going to your first club meet. But coming from the military and Fire Department, I new I had to break the ice with people I felt I would mold with. I had no clue who anybody was or who ran ACE, nor did I know what steps if any I should take to keeping myself and representing ACE in check. For weeks I would read just about every post on here to absorb as much knowledge as I could. I told myself and my wife that if I wanted to be apart of this club I am going to have to be proactive and go on every ACE event which I have gone on about 90% or so sense I joined tipping the one year mark. I found ACE to have some of the best people around. Do I feel there are cliques here at ACE (YES) do I think it is done intentional (NO). People tend to hang aound people they feel comfortable with and I can understand that. We grow as a family and create memories and traditions such as the Saturday night CC'S Mongolian Grill at the Pavs on Corvette Saturday. It means a lot to me to go and hang out with my Corvette friends and discuss about our passion with the American and worlds best Sports car in my mind. We have a lot of work to do to make ACE the best club that we can. I am sure that we will all do are part in making it that way. Sometimes it is nice to get some feedback and recolllect from the information given. I cant wait to see the both of you on Sunday and please stop me in my tracks if you see me first. I am the loud obnocious deafh person going bald with a HOT strawberry blond wife. Sorry for the long post, but man do I feel much better. Now to go out in the garage and detail KIT for tomorrow. WISHBONE OUT

Guest racingchester

The first ACE event I went to was the rainy BBQ. Had about 18 cars show up. I felt like a round peg in a square hole. Not being a real social person it was a task to mingle. Talked to DAWG alot as he was the most friendly. Still come around when I can, as the old man of the group (I think) I still enjoy the company....

Also, with Cale reminding me (one of the few here I know IRL, I bought his Bullets which he regrets!) about the lunch this Sunday, I should be making it out to tilted and hoping to meet more members and eventually becoming more active with the club.

Desertdawg

I get to double quote again!

OMG :willy In the words of an infamous Japanese Admiral - I think I have "awakened a sleeping giant."

My apologies to Dawg and the staff of ACE.

No problem, it needs to be discussed! Thanks for your input too because it helps us old timers know whats going on!

I for one do not want to see us become one of those "formal clubs." Can we make things better through this type of conversation??? ABSOLUTELY But it will take time to make anyone feel welcome no matter what when we have a rag tag bunch of hooligans (which we love) in this group.

:2cents:ACE::grphug:

I agree Sean, there's no way we will become a real club if I can help it, BUT I do feel we need to work this problem just like we did when we realized that sticking ACE business cards on every corvette we saw wasn't working either.

I think just airing this problem now will help in the future, how many of you will remember to put the extra effort into talking to the new members at events now? I think that will be a huge step forward to start with.

old yeller

I really hate to admit that Marco is right but I have to agree that the name tags will help alot. That was my biggest problem at first was putting names with faces. :cfdeadagain

I'm also in favor of those name tags, They do break a lot of ice.

I'm also in favor of those name tags, They do break a lot of ice.

A few of us have them, Mike (1jester) had some made for a few of us about a year ago or so. They turned out really well, they have your real name and your ACE forum name on them so it takes all the guess work out of it.