Mentoring new members

Desertdawg

Everyday we get someone new signing up here on ACE, and everyday most of them don't reply! Well as Robert (wishbone) put it, we should have some sort of mentoring program here. I think it's a great idea but it's up to the rest of you to help out. All you have to do is pick a new member and try to contact them, PM's phone calls, whatever it takes to get in touch with them will do. Find out if they need help posting on the forum or using any of the forum functions like adding a sig pic or whatever. Maybe meet them for a quick lunch or a brewski and drag them along to the next Saturday lunch to introduce them to the rest of us.... It's got to be better than what we have now because it sucks having all of these new members sign up only to never post and get to know ACE! Any suggestions?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Bigfoot

• wickedfastvette

• Wishbone

BP could always get "in touch" with them to make them feel warm & fuzzy. :bolt:

I've been approached by several newer members that feel intimidated by the forum and how to navigate through it. I've thought we should host a "Forum 101" class sometime. I know there are members that can't figure out how to post pics, intall or modify a signature, etc.

I think a "forum 101" class is a great idea, but we still need this first contact even if it's just to get the info for your class...

I think a "forum 101" class is a great idea, but we still need this first contact even if it's just to get the info for your class...

I've been approached by several newer members that feel intimidated by the forum and how to navigate through it. I've thought we should host a "Forum 101" class sometime. I know there are members that can't figure out how to post pics, intall or modify a signature, etc.

I'm an FNG ('effin new guy).. and I don't have any problems posting, asking stupid questions [text under avatar], but I may be the exception based on the fact that I'm a geek... know how forums, sigs, avatars, etc... operate, and feel like I can banter wits back and forth with just about anyone... but then again, that's just my nature too. :)

I did notice that the BB Code Help button doesn't seem to work for me tho... maybe that's what's discouraging folks. :wink:

I think what we have to remember is the average Vette owner is 53 or something close to that. I'm 58 and consider myself mildly computer savvy but a lot of 50+ folks aren't. You 30-40 yr old geeks could teach basic forum 101. This forum could be a lot more fun for some if they were just comfortable with the technology.

wickedfastvette

I think what we have to remember is the average Vette owner is 53 or something close to that. I'm 58 and consider myself mildly computer savvy but a lot of 50+ folks aren't. You 30-40 yr old geeks could teach basic forum 101. This forum could be a lot more fun for some if they were just comfortable with the technology.

Geek! I ain't no stinkin Geek!

No, you're the ACE Exterminator. Which might just be a new tag line since we've about wore the bra one out.

I'm an FNG ('effin new guy).. and I don't have any problems posting, asking stupid questions [text under avatar], but I may be the exception based on the fact that I'm a geek... know how forums, sigs, avatars, etc... operate, and feel like I can banter wits back and forth with just about anyone... but then again, that's just my nature too. :)

I did notice that the BB Code Help button doesn't seem to work for me tho... maybe that's what's discouraging folks. :wink:

wickedfastvette

Geek! I ain't no stinkin Geek!

Phill's Vette

I normally send a PM to all new member I intro, welcoming them and telling them if they need any help to ask a member, mod or admin. I have helped those who asked for help posting, sig edit etc. There is a large number of people that register and never even come back - their first day is their last day here.... There are many many members that never or rarely post, I see them logged in and browsing, but they never say anything? Maybe some people are just not the internet 'chat' type and that's okay, but if you got something to share - share it. Forums work because of member input and not just from a few members.... if you get something out of this forum, give back and participate peoples! I like the ACE 101 idea - Pinned into the Members section, I can add a link to this also in my welcome posts. :ACE:

I think that a small questionnaire of some sort is a good idea to address any concerns a "newbie" may have since this may be the first forum they have ever been to. On another forum, I've pinned a How-To thread for posting a pic in the New Members section. Sorry, that didn't even seem to work, they still can't do it or people don't read them for the most part even though its says...HOW TO POST A PIC. Geeez!

Hell, I ain't no geek...never walked about a forum before here and I fingered it out. :facepalm:

:lol

Yeah but you can't teach teenagers the difference between a triangle and a rectangle how could we ever expect you to teach folks about the Forum? ;lol :lol

Hell, I ain't no geek...never walked about a forum before here and I fingered it out. :facepalm:

Yeah but you can't teach teenagers the difference between a triangle and a rectangle how could we ever expect you to teach folks about the Forum? ;lol :lol

I'm an FNG ('effin new guy).. and I don't have any problems ........

Only FNG's would call themselves an FNG :lol And the jury is still out on you having problems :lol:lol

I'll work on adding a questioneer to the sign up page, how about 10 questions so we don't scare them to death asking for a life history?

You guys decide what the questions are...

I normally send a PM to all new member I intro, welcoming them and telling them if they need any help to ask a member, mod or admin. I have helped those who asked for help posting, sig edit etc. There is a large number of people that register and never even come back - their first day is their last day here....

There are many many members that never or rarely post, I see them logged in and browsing, but they never say anything? Maybe some people are just not the internet 'chat' type and that's okay, but if you got something to share - share it. Forums work because of member input and not just from a few members.... if you get something out of this forum, give back and participate peoples!

I like the ACE 101 idea - Pinned into the Members section, I can add a link to this also in my welcome posts.

:ACE:

Interesting post 9Tthree I will say in Dawg's defense, that's a hugely stressful day on him and his family. As for the others, I'm not sure how this would have happened. I would apologize for the group, but I've never seen the behavior you say took place. When I first signed up and went to my first few events I did not see any of what you saw. Are there people that are more into the smaller group of friends???? Sure, it's human nature, but I am surprised you got this "treatment" in one of our bigger gatherings of the year and am stunned that you feel that way. I frankly haven't experienced that in this group.

My "self inflicted" introduction to "Mr. Dawg" was a mistake. I've received a friendlier greeting from a ticked off rattler.

I'm sorry, I would like the chance to meet you again at another event...

As for the others, I'm not sure how this would have happened. I would apologize for the group, but I've never seen the behavior you say took place.

The important thing Sean is that it did and is still happening, we need to step up to fix this problem or we're going to just spiral down to one of those clubs were it's just 14 people left and to hell with anyone else.

I totally get Larry's point and I think it's great idea to help new members get introduced. I don't take much on this forum too seriously, what would be the point? However, to anyone observing, our "in fun" jabs may seem a bit...combative? We all need to remember to keep our community a welcome place. Anyhow, I didn't get to know anyone until I showed up for an event (it was detail day at Ed's house and he rubbed sandpaper on my Black paint!!!). The name tags are a huge help! Larry (or any new folks for that matter), Come out to an (another) event. Sunday is our May lunch, It would be great to meet you! :ACE: