2004 Active Handling Message

jstrutt

While driving the new IT GOES home from AZ I began to get a message "Active Handling". No Service Active Handling or anything like that. I had the cruise on and it disengaged and then I got the message. This happened several times. I know there can be many reasons for this so I would like to track it down before I take it to a tech and they tell me I need wheel bearings, sensors, ECM, battery or the other 100 reasons for this error message. I just got home today and will check the codes tomorrow. It's a 2004. Any help would be appreicated but I guess giving the codes is the first chore. When it happened I simply turned the Active Handling off.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jstrutt

• Bigfoot

• TheCMSH

• Ted Y

I won't get to checking the DIC codes until tomorrow. I've read tons of stuff from that Forum on this topic. There could be a kazillion reasons for the message (all the way down to dirty connections, poor grounds, etc.) Once I pull the codes I will post them. This should end up being a long drawn out affair. Then again, I can always keep it turned off which wouldn't be too smart..

Don't panic just yet John, my first two thoughts are: 1) Didn't you say you went through some rain and soon thereafter you got the message? If so, I'd suspect water has infiltrated a connection somewhere. 2) You said the car came from New York State, correct? I'd look for corrosion in a connection or at the grounds. Could be as simple as letting things dry out and cleaning up some connections.

You may be right Jim. It started in wet weather and ever since I hit Colorado it has been wet right up until I got home. I don't plan on spending thousands on this as some of the folks have done (Corvette Forum) replacing everything some dumb ass tech tells them needs replacement. Even if it becomes an ECM I'll shop around, you can pay $1,000 or have yours rebuilt with lifetime warranty for $300. I went through the "replace everything scene" with the '92 when the ECM quit.

Quit talking about it and get us the codes eh? :lol

But the other guys are right. Water or corrosion could be.

But get us the codes. :D

Ran the codes and there are none except 3 history codes. :confused

That's a good thing! Have the connections at the grounds taken apart and cleaned and I bet you had some water get into a connection somewhere. Which codes are they?

That's a good thing! Have the connections at the grounds taken apart and cleaned and I bet you had some water get into a connection somewhere. Which codes are they?

I didn't write them down but they all had a H behind them. I believe anything to do with active handling starts with a C and there were no C History codes.

I didn't write them down but they all had a H behind them. I believe anything to do with active handling starts with a C and there were no C History codes.

I think C means current if its at the end of the code. Check out this page

http://www.c5help.com/c5_dtc_codes.htm

I think you probably need to clean connections and grounds, my two cents

OK azzhats....there are no freaking codes. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

History Codes are........B0361 H, B0441 H, B0367 H, B2860 H

OK azzhats....there are no freaking codes. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

History Codes are........B0361 H, B0441 H, B0367 H, B2860 H

What? No codes from the TCS? You sure???

These others are mostly HVAC history codes...

B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND

B0367 Right Actuator Feedback Open

B0441 Left Actuator Out of Range

and...

B2860 Telescoping Column Position Sensor Failure

Maybe it sensed a Canadian behind the wheel..... :partygrnhat:

OK, Dean beat me to it. :lol

BTW, H does mean history John, but just that it's not seeing them at that moment. When it runs, if it's not seeing the malfunction it will automatically put them into history. When you pull those up again, clear them out and see if they return. It could be they did some work to the A/C system and never cleared them out.

Take the car for a spin and see if you can duplicate the problem. If the warning comes up, run the codes right then and see what it kicks out.

No matter what, clean all the grounds like everyone is saying.

Check this LINK to see where to find them and how to clean them.

OK, Dean beat me to it. :lol

BTW, H does mean history John, but just that it's not seeing them at that moment. When it runs, if it's not seeing the malfunction it will automatically put them into history. When you pull those up again, clear them out and see if they return. It could be they did some work to the A/C system and never cleared them out.

Take the car for a spin and see if you can duplicate the problem. If the warning comes up, run the codes right then and see what it kicks out.

No matter what, clean all the grounds like everyone is saying.

Check this LINK to see where to find them and how to clean them.

When I take it for a spin (I read this elsewhere) when it happens leave it running and run the codes because after it is shut down and re-started it will put them in history, is that true? If so, that's what I'll do and I will have the grounds cleaned and connections checked.

Maybe it sensed a Canadian behind the wheel..... :partygrnhat:

You're probably right but the beotch better get used to it or I'll paint it black, or green, or red, or I'll re-name it Sue. :lol:lol:lol

When I take it for a spin (I read this elsewhere) when it happens leave it running and run the codes because after it is shut down and re-started it will put them in history, is that true? If so, that's what I'll do and I will have the grounds cleaned and connections checked.

It should put them in history, but some computers are finicky and forgetful.

I've had stuff disconnected and put power on, had it kick out errors and not put them in history before even though I had codes.

Give it a try and see what happens. :D

EDIT: Now that I think about it...it was AH/TCS stuff that it did not put into history when I've messed with some things. Other AH/TCS stuff it does. Very weird.

It should put them in history, but some computers are finicky and forgetful.

I've had stuff disconnected and put power on, had it kick out errors and not put them in history before even though I had codes.

Give it a try and see what happens. :D

EDIT: Now that I think about it...it was AH/TCS stuff that it did not put into history when I've messed with some things. Other AH/TCS stuff it does. Very weird.

Like a geek on a computer......they created a monster.