NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Inaccurate fuel gage

Guest AZC5Z06

I tried to view the link posted and it didn't work. I wanted to read up on this strange issue with C5 gas gauge and the Techron cure. Was is in Techron that fixes this issue?

It's supposed to be the Techron. For some reason, in these cars there's a build up of some sort (sulfer I think, but that just doesn't sound right) on the electrodes on the sending unit. Techron is the only thing "supposedly" that can get rid of it. :crazy

It's supposed to be the Techron.

For some reason, in these cars there's a build up of some sort (sulfer I think, but that just doesn't sound right) on the electrodes on the sending unit. Techron is the only thing "supposedly" that can get rid of it. :crazy

WOW! Thats sounds fishy to me Sean, if I remember right, gasoline is a solvent. Mmmmm... That's why I wanted to read that posted link to see what it saidand figure out WTF? I'm not saying Techron doesn't work, just seems very odd to me. I guess I'll have to research Techron. Thanks for the info Sean.

My understanding is the sulphur builds up on the sending unit and Techron in the Chevron gas dissolves the sulphur deposits.

Corvettes are not the only thing this happens to. My daily driver Japanese car has a similar issue with the gas gauge sending unit and Techron is one of the possible fixes other than replacement.

Corvettes are not the only thing this happens to. My daily driver Japanese car has a similar issue with the gas gauge sending unit and Techron is one of the possible fixes other than replacement.

:agree My Dakota has the exact problem.

Neither the GMC or Dodge has this problem. The Dodge has a whole slew of others, but not this one. :lol

Well, my Dakota fuel gauge is fine when started and after about 15 minutes the gauge bounces from full to empty and everywhere in between. Here's a Link to the Dodge problem.

Neither the GMC or Dodge has this problem. The Dodge has a whole slew of others, but not this one. :lol

Well, my Dakota fuel gauge is fine when started and after about 15 minutes the gauge bounces from full to empty and everywhere in between. Here's a Link to the Dodge problem.

OH SNAP!

In your case it's ice in the tank not sulphur. Try a little antifreeze in the tank :lol

In your case it's ice in the tank not sulphur. Try a little antifreeze in the tank :lol

Jokes on you Eddie, absolutely no snow here yet and the temps are still running around 52F. It's a weird weather year up here. Cold summer..............nice winter???? Now get back on topic. :smilelol:smilelol:thumbs

• 8 months later...

FYI, guys... I'm a long-time Infiniti / Nissan guy, and the Q45's had this issue too. IIRC, the "active ingredient" that Chevron calls "Techron" is actually a very dilute version of a product licensed by BG. A couple cans of BG44K should then, theoretically, be quicker (and maybe cheaper) in the long run.

i see this issue in other cars but for some reason it appears more prevelant in c5 vettes. the way i start off is there is actualy a pcm updated calibration for some c5s, so the first thing i do is to reflash pcm with the latest calibrations then to sudgest chevron and techron, give it a few weeks and a few tanks and see how it goes (as of yet only works on 1/3) if the problem is still there then i get into testing the siphon pump and level sensors, i have seen level sensors with some kind of deposits and wear and in some cases the bottom of the right tank has an upward bow to it preventing the sensor from reaching full droop also causing incorrect sensor data. the replacement part has been redesigned to help prevent this issue.

• 1 year later...
Mag red 02 vert

I finally got the column lock bypass problem solved thanks to Thorobred Chev. After running at least 10 bottles of Techron Fuel System Cleaner, using only Chevron 91 octane, my fuel gage would still drop to empty at half tank. Then it started going to empty at about 110 miles on the trip odometer. Back to Thorobred. Diagnosed as right tank fuel sensor failure. They only use a combo sensor and fuel pump as replacement. $650 parts and $350 labor later, everything works. Even though this was fixed once under warranty, factory would not even cover parts. With the complexity of diagnosis, drop the tank, reprogram the PCM, I don't think this is a DIY project. They used the fact I got help with the CLB problem to deny responsibility. I even appealed to "Alvin" in Bangladesh or wherever. My argument is that the problem is so pervasive that it should have been a recall not service bulletin. Shame on GM for not being able to make a reliable fuel gage in a $50,000 car!

BTW: There are two kinds of teh Techron, one is fuel injector cleaner, and teh other fuel system cleaner...for teh misbehaving fuel senders, teh system cleaner works better. Just sayin'...

Four digit ouch. Sorry the stealership drew blood. :facepalm: I just say the heap has character and live by the axiom that when under half on the fuel level gauge the readings are half right. When it reads 1/4 tank, it's really got an eighth. It's all good. :lol

Been usin Shell or Chevron 91 Octane in my Vettes .. rarely have that problem since the very first time (when I learned enono-gas just does not do it for a Vette) It still does that drop to E an turn on alla bells .. once every few months .. clears by itself tho. -Frank aka GE

• 3 weeks later...
Phoenix FRC

[Thanks for the write up, after the amount of money in techron I poured into the tank I could have paid someone to replace mine. So now I'll give it a go myself. Actually.. I think the techron made it worse, the shell gas helped more than anything, now it's just not good once it's under 3/8 tank.

Techron seems to be the best cleaner for the fuel level senders. My understanding is that gas in this part of the country (or maybe the world?) is high in sulfur, and that's what causes the fuel level senders to fail. Techron is great at getting rid of the sulfur. I'm not a chemist, so hell, I'm not sure. But I as many others, have found that it works.

GM recommends the Techron or their own stuff (which is Techron in a GM bottle)

I have fuel level issues after first getting my car. Chevron and a bottle of Techron cured it right up. Now a days I use Shell quite a bit and have had no fuel level issues.