NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Inaccurate fuel gage

Guest AZC5Z06

Guest AZC5Z06

I went from 1/2 of a tank to zilch in about .5 seconds this morning coming into work...the "low fuel" message came up and the check gauges warning light. What the heck?! I only use Chevron and threw a bottle of their fuel system cleaner in 2 tanks ago. Isn't that supposed to prevent this? What next? :cuss Edit: Changed title to pin!

Guest AZC5Z06

where you parked on a incline? ......what "codes" are you showing?

No, i was driving on the I-10 going about 50 MPH. No codes, just a "low fuel" message on the display. I had just under a half of a tank then my check gauges light came on. I know i have plenty of gas...

No, i was driving on the I-10 going about 50 MPH. No codes, just a "low fuel" message on the display. I had just under a half of a tank then my check gauges light came on. I know i have plenty of gas...

after doing a bulletin search I found this...

"Erratic Fuel Gauge Readings, Fuel Gauge Reads Empty When There Is Fuel In Tank"

Correction

Check the connections at the PCM/ECM using the proper pin drag test. Use care to select the proper pin for testing. If all connections check good, then replace the left fuel tank level sensor with P/N 88967316.

Right fuel tank senders are rarely faulty and should only be replaced if diagnostic information specifically indicates replacement of the right fuel tank sender or a DTC P2068 is present.

Guest AZC5Z06

hmmmm...thanks for finding this. I believe there was work done lately on the car that involved this area of the car. I'll check it out.

I don't want to get to the point to where i can't relax when i'm driving my car...lol.

...stay tuned.

after doing a bulletin search I found this...

"Erratic Fuel Gauge Readings, Fuel Gauge Reads Empty When There Is Fuel In Tank"

Correction

Check the connections at the PCM/ECM using the proper pin drag test. Use care to select the proper pin for testing. If all connections check good, then replace the left fuel tank level sensor with P/N 88967316.

Right fuel tank senders are rarely faulty and should only be replaced if diagnostic information specifically indicates replacement of the right fuel tank sender or a DTC P2068 is present.

Guest Sidewinder

Mine did the exact same thing. I had to put 3 bottles of techron through it before it would read normally. It's good now.

Guest AZC5Z06

Mine did the exact same thing. I had to put 3 bottles of techron through it before it would read normally. It's good now.

ok then! That's what i'm going to do...thanks again!

Ya, I went through this too, and ended up having to replace the sender/pump assy. on the right side. You need to know what code it's pulling. That's important. You can check them from the DIC but I don't know how. Do a search and you'll find it. If 2 or 3 tank fulls don't cure it, you may have to replace the sensor. Pray you don't have to do that, it's expensive.

YES, you too will soon be dealing with your Diablo! :devil10: I drove a million cars and never had so many wierd things happen like they do with the Corvette...Mine is a love hate relationship

Guest AZC5Z06

Well, i went at lunch today and picked up some techron. When i started the car, the gas gauge was was working and continued to work for the rest of the day...keeping my fingers crossed. I bought the aftermarket warranty so i'm not too worried. I can fight the Diablos 1 deductible at a time. :) I don't care about lights as long as the car keeps running and it doesn't ruin my engine. How do i get the codes to show up?

Correction

I had the exact problem with mine. I think there is an easier way to correct this if I remember correctly. Chad had the answer back then.

Well, i went at lunch today and picked up some techron. When i started the car, the gas gauge was was working and continued to work for the rest of the day...keeping my fingers crossed. I bought the aftermarket warranty so i'm not too worried. I can fight the Diablos 1 deductible at a time. :)

I don't care about lights as long as the car keeps running and it doesn't ruin my engine.

How do i get the codes to show up?

Going from memory here, but to access the codes, leave engine off, but turn key to on. Then hold down the options button on the DIC while pressing the fuel button four times. The DIC will cycle through the list of modules and list any codes for each. When it's done, you can use the DIC buttons to manually page back through them and then use the reset button if you want to clear them.

When I finally got sick of my jumpy gas gauge, I replaced the left side sending unit. Not too tough to do yourself and not terribly expensive either. Check out the link.

Gas gauge woes

Never had the problem as describe here but have the gas gauge go to empty right after refueling. After driving around for 10 minutes the needle starts to rise and finally shows full

Guest AZC5Z06

mine's still doing it, i have another treatment of Techron sitting in the garage. if that doesn't work, i will definitely take that route. Amazing write up and thank you for pointing it out here. :thumbs

Wow, great write up Rick, thanks for posting it here!!! :thumbs

:agree Pinned :thumbs

Thanks guys.

I can't believe I've been pinned! :banannasword:

I'd like to thank the academy, my parents, my therapist... :clap

• 2 months later...

MY 98 has done the same trick since I got it four years ago. When ever the gauge gets to the 3/4 full mark, it drops to empty and the bells go off. Usually stopping and restarting puts it back to normal. If I'm on a long trip, after the fuel level drops another 1/4 of the tank or so, the gauge goes back to normal. Just one of those things that make me go Hmmmm...

MY 98 has done the same trick since I got it four years ago. When ever the gauge gets to the 3/4 full mark, it drops to empty and the bells go off. Usually stopping and restarting puts it back to normal. If I'm on a long trip, after the fuel level drops another 1/4 of the tank or so, the gauge goes back to normal.

Just one of those things that make me go Hmmmm...

Have you tried the Techron cure? My C5 did it whenever I took her off Chevron gas. I'd go back on Chevron and it would stop. There are cases where the sending unit is bad and has to be replaced but the high percentage can be cured with a steady diet of Chevron or just adding Techron.

Mine did it after I got it and two tanks of Top Tier fuel with Techron did the trick. Now I run a bottle of Techron through it about every 4th or 5th tank. Pretty important to make sure you're using Top Tier fuel as well, as far as I know only Quiktrip and Chevron are considered Top Tier in the area

• 5 months later...

Took four tanks in a row each with a bottle of Techron, switching to exlusive use of Chevron premium, and about 16 tanks of fuel - my fuel gauge is FINALLY working correctly. . . :banannasword: