NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Is this cam too mild? opinions please

Guest 1FASTC4

Guest 1FASTC4

Hydraulic roller is the best of both worlds they make almost as much power as solid rollers but you dont need to check lash. All the LS motors are hydraulic roller. Its a lot of work to change the cam and lifters and springs on a C-4. It would be nice to up grade your 383 to roller. You wont be sorry you will love it. It will rev faster and higher and make a lot more power.

After much research and advice from friends, you included Doug, I have decided on hydraulic roller. Thanks for all the input.

Bromley's Corvettes

You will be glad you did. I would find out what cam would make the most power with your heads and comp ratio. I would go with a cam that will get the most out of your combo with out having to change conv. Your B&M conv is really a 3000 so pick a cam that needs at least a 3000 and it will like reving to 6500.

Bromley's Corvettes

You will be able to back up your plate lol. You really will have 1FASTC4

Guest 1FASTC4

You will be able to back up your plate lol. You really will have 1FASTC4

Good, I was thinking about throwing it away.

Bromley's Corvettes

Dont throw it away just throw more money at it LOL. Cubic dollers lol. The faster you want to go the more its going to cost you. Money fixes most eveything. Dont keep track of how much you spend you dont really want to know. I stoped counting at $100,000 LOL.

• 2 years later...

Dont throw it away just throw more money at it LOL. Cubic dollers lol. The faster you want to go the more its going to cost you. Money fixes most eveything. Dont keep track of how much you spend you dont really want to know. I stoped counting at $100,000 LOL.

Sorry for digging this up from the basement, but I was wondering how this panned out? I remember you doing the swap, but lost track of the outcome.

You stay flat tappet? Or go hydraulic roller?

It's been a couple years now, Steve moved back east and I' don't remember if he ever followed up on this....

Bromley's Corvettes

We ended up going with a solid roller. It has 650 lift and makes lots of power. His car is a tire shredding monster and sounds real bad ass with the 3in X-pipe system with Flow Masters. Posted Image

A 650 lift in an LT4? Holy Moly. That is bigger than the cam in my 427. Although, admittedly am waaaay over due for a cam swap myself.

We ended up going with a solid roller. It has 650 lift and makes lots of power. His car is a tire shredding monster and sounds real bad ass with the 3in X-pipe system with Flow Masters. Posted Image

Thanks for the update. I was in communication with Steve often, 5 or 6 years ago, and kinda lost touch with him. Glad to hear he got away from the flat tappet stuff. He had all of the pieces to make big power, and glad to hear he went solid roller.

As far as the "Stuff-Knower" user name I would not recommend signing up to a forum when you are drunk. Seemed funny at the time.

If a mod is willing, I would like to change it to a name I use on other vette forums.

A 650 lift in an LT4? Holy Moly. That is bigger than the cam in my 427. Although, admittedly am waaaay over due for a cam swap myself.

Not alot of negatives to big lift.

You have to be careful though. Especiall if it is big lift, and small duration. Ramp speeds can get wild, and it takes some concentration in the valvetrain area to keep it together, and durable. I usually over lift by about .030 to .050 or do on the street stuff (past the peak or desired port flow). Just works well for me, especially on the hydraulic roller stuff. My current combo is in the .610 or so area, and it does not hurt idle quality or drivability.

Bromley's Corvettes

Its not a LT engine anymore its a fully built 383 with AFR heads and super vic intake and 850cfm race carb. It screams and runs cool and sounds amazing. Posted Image

Sounds awesome. Am currently running an after market small block 427. Dart pro1 2.08 valve heads. VicJr intake and 850 demon. I endup just using the 15yr old 525 solid lift cam from my previous 350. I have been wanting a differnt cam. Just not sure how big of a lift I should go. Interesting to hear that size cam works in a 383. Thanks for the info