NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Recommendations on engine installation places?

phxscooby101

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally recieved my car and its a beast to say the least. Currently I'm breaking in the motor, but since driving it 1st, 2nd gears are entirely too easily to break loose. I need to spend some time behind wheel and learn how to drive again :lol

For those who did not know last Jan when I purchased the car the engine died after 1 month and has been sitting/ waiting for the new engine. So all in all I have forgotten how to drive :D Thanks Chad

Break it on by bringing it on the cruise to Gila Bend this weekend !!

See the events section for more info.

Well the vette down again until ADS can adjust the passenger side rockers, They are clattering to loud and are out of adjustment.

Q: How difficult is it too adjust/torque rockers to specs? ADS had adjusted them once I believe, but I'm unsure if the adjusted the side that poses a problem.

Let me just say I'm a little disappointed in this whole process BRE/ becks racing engines and ADS have been great up until recently.

I personally have paid big bucks to have the engine built and installed by

ADS/ BRE in the tune of 15k for the motor and clutch and 10k to get it installed.

So when I recieve a car back thats got a large power steering leak, oil pan leak and throttle cable issues and one light that will not shut because it hitting a newly installed wire. :banghead:banghead:banghead

I feel everyone is passing the buck around evertime a problem occurs now granted sometimes its the buildiers fault and others its my cars age and new items need to be purchased. For instance a new opti spark, new MSD kit, new electric water pump, fuel pump, regulator, lt4 rails, long tube headers, exhaust add ons etc...

I just need to rant alittle, but I would like some input from others on this forum to see if I'm getting ripped. Thanks Chad

List of items installed on my 1992 coupe 6 speed.

BRE/ Engine: 383 all forged motor, forged crank,forged pistons, forged rods, 4 bolt splayed main caps, 7 quart oil pan, LT4 intake honed and extroned to match the heads, AFR heads CNC version, crank damper pulley, 58 mm throttle body, oil pump/ pick up, spark plugs, new injectors, fuel regulator. Balanced and blueprinted.

BRE does all there work in house regarding boring, torque flexing, planeing down, flux cleaning, block filling, re distruibuting oil sizes for better oiling and some other stuff I can't remember.

Clutch: lightened flywheel half the weight of stock and mcleoad clutch and new slave cylinder, flywheel is balanced and blueprinted to engine.

Fuel: high volume pump

Radiator: all aluminum with 160 degree stat

Electric water pump

Exotic muscle long tube headers

Ignition: New Dyna spark opti, MSD 6a coil system, MSD 8.5mm wires

Lt4: fuel rails these are 1k from GM :banghead

Belts, gaskets,O2 sensors, oil and accessories items.

3in Exhaust extensions from headers past old resonator pipes.

DYNO: chip burning to match new engine and actual dyno time.

Replacement of bad wire at throttle body.

Cost is probably more than whats listed above by a few grand because I bought some of the items listed above myself before the installation started, but its close.

Thanks Chad

Well the vette down again until ADS can adjust the passenger side rockers, They are clattering to loud and are out of adjustment.

Q: How difficult is it too adjust/torque rockers to specs? ADS had adjusted them once I believe, but I'm unsure if the adjusted the side that poses a problem.

Let me just say I'm a little disappointed in this whole process BRE/ becks racing engines and ADS have been great up until recently.

I personally have paid big bucks to have the engine built and installed by

ADS/ BRE in the tune of 15k for the motor and clutch and 10k to get it installed.

So when I recieve a car back thats got a large power steering leak, oil pan leak and throttle cable issues and one light that will not shut because it hitting a newly installed wire. :banghead:banghead:banghead

I feel everyone is passing the buck around evertime a problem occurs now granted sometimes its the buildiers fault and others its my cars age and new items need to be purchased. For instance a new opti spark, new MSD kit, new electric water pump, fuel pump, regulator, lt4 rails, long tube headers, exhaust add ons etc...

I just need to rant alittle, but I would like some input from others on this forum to see if I'm getting ripped. Thanks Chad

Chad...

Anytime that you have an aged car, there will be unexpected expenses.

Hell on Kingpins 2001, he blew the master cylinder due to age....

Unless your car is in the shop getting upgraded all the time... Like mine... then wear and tear of items will happen. I am sure that if you call John at ADS he will be able to elaborate better than me. I think that a shop that finds the worn items to be replaced is better than you finding out on the 1-17....

:thumbs:thumbs Let me correct my statement or clarify the items:

Problems with the engine have been cam timing over a tooth and half off, because of BRE, so ADS corrected after the engine had been installed at BRE cost.

Intake leaking oil, ADS corrected but at my cost because issues with builder paying for it. Granted ADS gave me a great rate because I've invested alot of money in the car.

Dyanostics cost ADS as gone way over what I was willing to pay because of the cam problem and tuning, I believe they lost 6 days of dyno time which BRE should be paying for.

I believe if I took on this project myself I would have been screwed since it has taken ADS and its crew alot of time to get the car where its at now.

I will always recommend ADS over anyone else I've dealt with, but I'm a little bitter because its one thing after another.

Powersteering leak was not fixed at ADS so they new but I declined my thats my mistake and the oil pan is another BRE leak.

ADS said they will fix the rest no problem. :thumbs Thanks Chad

Sounds like BRE really f 'ed up.

Not to add to your misery, but I have yet to hear a good comment about BRE, ever.

Yes, this seems to be true. The car makes plenty of hp for me, but I need the engine to last also. So back to ADS it goes for the clatter noise. Thanks Chad

3,503 lbs of trouble

I seem to remember mentioning long ago the BRE has had a long, not so stellar reputation. I hope Mr. Beck makes good on taking care of making sure your engine ends up right, if he can.

I heard that BRE had a pretty poor reputation. I hope you dont expect (or want) ADS to eat time because of the mistakes that BRE made... The bottom line is that if your cam was off 1 tooth, then it would be a complete pig and not make any power. I have known Greg, John and Doug for a lot of years, and I can tell you ADS is about making power.... There is no way they would send you home with your car like that. I hope everything works out.

• 3 weeks later...
phxscooby101

Update: I got the car back two days ago drove it home from ads seemed to be running fine no problems.

Then I changed the oil and guess what I found in the pan on the magnetic plug, drum roll please........... 12 needle bearing and half a rounded washer :banghead

So I called up BRE and told him of the situation. In short he is having someone pull the motor and he's going to tear it down and build it up :banghead

I'm open to comments and please don't say I told you so. :ack

My postion with BRE is that I paid for a 1 year warranty and he needs to fix it right period, which from talking to him that seems to be his objective also.

P.S. I still have not met anyone from this forum, but I just have to meet up with you all with my truck :D at the next meet.

I must have the worst luck ever with this car :banghead:banghead:banghead

I must have the worst luck ever with this car :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

ummmmm

no comment :leaving

the saying kinda goes - you wanna play - you gotta pay!

Glenn told me i'd be into my car for around $50K - i told him NO WAY!

so i told him i was going to change my forum ID to

ONMYWAYTO50K

:burnout

Ouch --- I take it the bearings were from a roller rocker? If so, why did it fail already?

My take would be that I would want ALL the rockers replaced. If one failed already then there is a good chance that the batch is faulty. Also make sure the rockers are from a reputable brand (Crane, Comp) and not something like ProForm or some other Chinese knock-off.

phxscooby101

Well from what I hear there is only 2 to 3 locations that contain needle bearing.

1. rockers

2.lifters

3.bearing located near the cam, to prevent cam walk.

I'm not aware of any others.

What is really scary is the car runs strong with no signs of trouble, but for now the car will not be started until a new one goes back in.

I do not believe its the rockers because they had just gotten adjusted and I personally saw them which to me were not damaged. Another reason I believe its not in the valvetrain is because its not making any obvious signs of noise?

There is a washer thats rounded on one side and flat on the other its over a half inch in length and could not have made its way down through the head???

What kind of damage would you all expect from this? Thanks

well, if all the parts (washer, needles) are still whole and not shaved or broken then it's just a complete tear down to find where they came from and to make sure all of them are out.

If they are damaged and there is metal shavings floating around; then its a full tear down, clean the block and all the passges, replace bearings (rods, main, cams) and make sure that the piston rings and cam, lifters, rockers don't have any debris in them.

either way -- it sucks. It would be easier and faster for them to drop in a whole new engine and then take yours back to work on later.

phxscooby101

The washer I have is broke in half and I half a smaller portion of it. BRE said he would have too do a complete tear down to remove all the debris.

Can this debris make its way into crank bearing areas and other small clearance sections of the motor?? Thanks

92ZR1Wannabe

I must have the worst luck ever with this car :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

ummmmm

no comment :leaving

the saying kinda goes - you wanna play - you gotta pay!

Glenn told me i'd be into my car for around $50K - i told him NO WAY!

so i told him i was going to change my forum ID to

ONMYWAYTO50K

:burnout

Was that 50k before or after it got out of the shop and your able to drive it?