who can convert slides to pics or jpg?

anmracing

I've got some old slides of the vette I grew up with and have never managed to convert to photos or jpg files. I'd like to before they get ruined with age. Some are fairly pretty-up at Kitt Peak, etc....

any help? Thanks!

Melissa

They've got scanners that will scan those slides in for you. Seen them at office max and the like. Not sure how it all works or what the end product looks like. Prices weren't bad, scanned regular documents as well, at least one was made by HP.

Let me know what you find, I need one for work as well.

Keith

Guest racingchester

If you can hang on for a bit I have a scaner that I haven't tried out yet. I have mannnnny slides I want to convert.

I've got a scanner but it's not a flatbed. Do they come with some type of software to convert the slide into a photo? I don't remember that with my old flatbed....

Get on it Chuck and test the thing out so we all know! Uh, please, I mean. ;)

Melissa

A special scanner is what my brother mentioned they would do it with.

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to spend $500 on a scanner to scan a bunch of old slides, but I wouldn't mind paying someone who already has the scanner to use it for a while. Then I could dump the slide projector (tre 60s!).

A special scanner is what my brother mentioned they would do it with.

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to spend $500 on a scanner to scan a bunch of old slides, but I wouldn't mind paying someone who already has the scanner to use it for a while. Then I could dump the slide projector (tre 60s!).

eBay the projector -- might make some bucks for car mods.

Did a Google on slide scanners and got this among other hits!

Most newer scanners >2400dpi have slide adapters and backlighting at least as options!!

Visoneer Scanner

It's a lot easier now with the computing power we have in everyday systems, than even five years ago!

Scanners and photo quality printers are everywhere for <$100!!

Ken

Thanks guys- :thumbs

I have been antsy to try it out, so I may make a trip to the old Best Buy and get a chaepie to see how things look. I had looked there before and didn't see the slide/negative holder option. I'll be guinea pig and post something once I've tried it out and we'll review the quality.

Melissa

Okay-here's an update. I was able to get a cheapie scanner that does slides. The image is pretty grainy, but I was able to clean up the dust somewhat.

1973vettekittpeak9fe.jpg

What do you say? I'm sure if I had gotten a really terrific scanner, I could get it all beautiful, but the pics don't look too terrible and I can't say I get to see them any better with the projector. :banghead

So, RacingChester-when you finally bust out your scanner, let me know how it does. I will say that my slides are in the 30-35 year old range and have been in boxes or the carousels for that entire time. And some of the pics are from an old 110 camera (remember those?)! :D

Melissa

Looks very decent if that came from a slide if you ask me.

I have no idea if it could be done better then that.

:agree

Looks pretty darn good to me, especially with all things considered.

All the artifacts I see are dust and dirt particles!!

There is a whole cleaning process for both slides and scanner you have to go thru to get max pic quality from slides!!

Damn, I had a '70 BB coupe that color! I Love that green but mine had saddle int!!

Damn, I miss that car!!

Ken

Where did you get the slide reproduced? I will have something next week.

Huh? These are old slides from my childhood, not a clever reproduction. Or do you mean how did I get them transferred to the jpg file? That I did myself with the handy new scanner I just bought. I was hoping that they would come out clearer (the car doesn't look shiny-and it was brand new!). I can always take the scanner back.....by vets day per the receipt.

Melissa

All the artifacts I see are dust and dirt particles!!

There is a whole cleaning process for both slides and scanner you have to go thru to get max pic quality from slides!!

Damn, I had a '70 BB coupe that color! I Love that green but mine had saddle int!!

Damn, I miss that car!!

Ken

artifact? Are you talking about the car or the slides? Ken, how many vettes have you had? Seems like there aren't many years you haven't had a go at. This 1973 was Elkhart Green-bought new in Tucson in the fall of 1972. Still have the radio if anyone needs one....heh heh. I'm a packrat!! :cone

M-

If I manage to get the old man to send me the pics of his other vettes, I'll scan and post-I'm thinking 1965 coupe and 1966 vert. Very nice! :thumbs

3,503 lbs of trouble
What do you say? I'm sure if I had gotten a really terrific scanner, I could get it all beautiful, but the pics don't look too terrible and I can't say I get to see them any better with the projector. :banghead

The grainy look gives the pic character. Still, someone very skilled at Photoshop could probably do a lot with the appearance. I'm not that good, but I know some people... It's all in what you want to spend.

I think you are hijacking your own post.............

Anyway,

My Dad bought me a used '66 327/350 maroon coupe/headrests/side exhaust/15K miles for my high school grad present in '69! I had worked as a goffer for his electrical company every day I wasn't in school from the time I was 12 till graduation! I still had to make the payments and insurance so it was no silver spoon crap..............

I went into the Air Force in '70! In '74 I was stationed in Ogden, UT and came across a green/saddle coupe 454/390 and fell in love!!

I kept that ride till late '79 when it spun a mainbearing and I got a great deal from a friend to unload the car!!

Fast forward to '94. I get some extra $$ and the urge for BB Corvette again!

I buy a cammed yellow '69 BB/Hooker header sidepipes meanass ride!!

Got into the car and it sucked! I got ripped off! What ever!!

Bought a '96 LT 4 off the showroom floor!

I only put 10 K on the car and the '01Z was born..................

I sold the '69, to finance the move to AZ and sold the '96 to A'nV so you know I got screwed there!!!

All I have left is my Z and I like it!!

Ken

I tried a little photo shop on your pic, cleaned it up some, cropped it, and played with the color...

This is about all I can do until you can get better scans of it..

I tried a little photo shop on your pic, cleaned it up some, cropped it, and played with the color...

This is about all I can do until you can get better scans of it..

:cool Thanks Dwayne-I like the color a lot better, looks much brighter and true.

I think we could probably do more with the sky if we had a ton of time....oh yeah, I'm underemployed, so I guess I do have time. :D

Melissa

I think you are hijacking your own post.............

Anyway,

My Dad bought me a used '66 327/350 maroon coupe/headrests/side exhaust/15K miles for my high school grad present in '69! I had worked as a goffer for his electrical company every day I wasn't in school from the time I was 12 till graduation! I still had to make the payments and insurance so it was no silver spoon crap..............

I went into the Air Force in '70! In '74 I was stationed in Ogden, UT and came across a green/saddle coupe 454/390 and fell in love!!

I kept that ride till late '79 when it spun a mainbearing and I got a great deal from a friend to unload the car!!

Fast forward to '94. I get some extra $$ and the urge for BB Corvette again!

I buy a cammed yellow '69 BB/Hooker header sidepipes meanass ride!!

Got into the car and it sucked! I got ripped off! What ever!!

Bought a '96 LT 4 off the showroom floor!

I only put 10 K on the car and the '01Z was born..................

I sold the '69, to finance the move to AZ and sold the '96 to A'nV so you know I got screwed there!!!

All I have left is my Z and I like it!!

Ken

Ken-I may have done just that-but my mind multitasks too often.

Love to see pics of your former loves. I'm counting only 5 after all? Well, the Z seems to be the best choice for a keeper from what I saw at Firebird the other week. :flag

Melissa

ps a graduation gift? What's that? I keep graduating and have yet to see a car with a bow in the driveway! :leaving

Ok fine!

I played GOD and fixed the sky. I also think the vette is a little cleaner in this picture. So now you owe me some Meguiar's....

Now that's a scary thought..... Desertdawg is GOD, GOD is Desertdawg....

Thou shall pay me alms.

:toetap Well???? I'm waiting-------- :devil