NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

PJ's Engine and Tranny Install

anmracing2

anmracing2

Hey everyone!!!!

Yes you!!!!! PJ (PJRMTR) finally has his engine and tranny!!! :banannarainbow: Now he just needs to install it, soooooo is there anyone out there that would like to help us do a tranny and engine install one of these weekends??????

Let's see a show of hands. I'll ask PJ when a good weekend will be so we can get some experienced helping hands....

Come C-3 peeps lets get his car going.

Andrew

put me down as a 50/50

sorry with work I cant give more until there is a date

Guest c3keith

I should be turning my new motor over after installing it myself on my c3. I'm there, let me know.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I am pretty open for any weekend right now. This weekend works, the next one too.

How does next Saturday morning sound?

I live in Gilbert, BTW

2282 E Rawhide St.

Gilbert, AZ 85296

anmracing2

Ok everyone! Plan on the 17th and 18th for this one. I hope we can get some of you C3 experts out to help. Everyone is welcome to help though!

See you at PJ's

Andrew

anmracing2

I know there are more C3 guys out there….. Lets see how much damage we can do……. I mean, how much help we can give…..

Andrew

Guest c3keith

I finished my motor install but am having electrical issues. However, it feels good to have it in there. If I CAN be there I most certainly will. Do you have a cherry picker, jacks, jack stands, 9/16, 1/2, 3/8, 11/16, 5/8 crescent wrenches/sockets (particularly these...that 9/16 gets a lot of action), Haynes manual, proper lighting, tons of towels/rags, breaker bars, WD40, rtv sealer, carb cleaner, and a whole lotta trips to the autoparts store.

Glad to see that you live only 3.5 miles from me... :partydance: Not sure if I will be off yet that weekend, I'll have to wait and see. PJ, what motor spec did you go to or did you remain stock? Just wondering.

Loud Pedal
I finished my motor install but am having electrical issues. However, it feels good to have it in there. If I CAN be there I most certainly will. Do you have a cherry picker, jacks, jack stands, 9/16, 1/2, 3/8, 11/16, 5/8 crescent wrenches/sockets (particularly these...that 9/16 gets a lot of action), Haynes manual, proper lighting, tons of towels/rags, breaker bars, WD40, rtv sealer, carb cleaner, and a whole lotta trips to the autoparts store.

Not your first rodeo I see. ;)

I'd love to come lend a hand *into the beer cooler*. Returning from a week long trip next week late Saturday. I suspect I'll be fried and catching up Sunday. Good luck guys!

I got a cherry picker, jacks & jack stands, a set of sockets, etc. I'm sure I'll be missing some needed tools, so feel free to bring whatever tools you feel necessary.

There's an autozone next door, so we're covered there too.

Glad to see that you live only 3.5 miles from me... :partydance: Not sure if I will be off yet that weekend, I'll have to wait and see. PJ, what motor spec did you go to or did you remain stock? Just wondering.

Hi Buc.

I ordered a 383 Crate engine. It dyno'd at 462hp and 475 torque.

Here's some data & pics

P1020141.jpg

383.jpg

Wish you guys lived closer, love to do help you all out.

Guest c3keith

Hi Buc.

I ordered a 383 Crate engine. It dyno'd at 462hp and 475 torque.

Here's some data & pics

P1020141.jpg

383.jpg

I'm afraid I'm too jealous to attend. But really I'll be working out the final kinks this weekend of my own ride.

That's a nice, flat torque curve. You're going to love that engine!

Yeah, I can't wait!

nope. not by a long shot.

with PJ not posting to this thread for a follow up does not suprise me.

:(

with PJ not posting to this thread for a follow up does not suprise me.

:(

What do you mean??

Anyway, the cherry picker was too short to be able to grab the engine from the nose of the car. There are 60 inches from the nose of the car to the center of the engine.

Would have had to do it from the side of the engine bay instead, but it would have been harder because we're pulling the engine along with the transmission together.

I went to AtoZ equipment to see if they had a larger cherry picker. The largest one they had is a bit short of the 60 inches, so I dont know if that one would work either.

I'm searching around on Corvette Forum to see how others have done it. Any ideas?

As soon as I figure this out, I'll post for a follow up event to get this sucker swapped. I'm targeting the weekend of May 31st.

PJ

PJ, the one from AtoZ may work if it was just a tad short on the boom. Keep in mind that the one you have is a good 12"+ too short. I wished we could have gotten farther along on the removal and install, but it will only be about a 10 minute job under the car on the xmember and its ready to remove. Now would be a good time to start cleaning up those greasy parts/brackets and whatever and have them ready for the new "clean" motor install. Black and Chevy blue paint works as well. Until next time... :rockon2:

Hey Chad, will you help me put on my newly painted hood? I want to make the rest of the car jealous... :banannadance: LOL

One more thing, PJ what size carb (CFM) is that one, I forgot to ask.

PJ, the one from AtoZ may work if it was just a tad short on the boom. Keep in mind that the one you have is a good 12"+ too short. I wished we could have gotten farther along on the removal and install, but it will only be about a 10 minute job under the car on the xmember and its ready to remove. Now would be a good time to start cleaning up those greasy parts/brackets and whatever and have them ready for the new "clean" motor install. Black and Chevy blue paint works as well. Until next time... :rockon2:

Hey Chad, will you help me put on my newly painted hood? I want to make the rest of the car jealous... :banannadance: LOL

One more thing, PJ what size carb (CFM) is that one, I forgot to ask.

It's a 780cfm Quickfuel Carb. I'll keep working today on that shifter modification that we need. I'm also shopping for all the rest of the tools. Got a whole bunch now, still need sturdier jackstands and the gaskets. I went to autozone and Checkers to get the header gasket. You said to get Fel Pros, but they only had a brand called Mr. Gasket.

You said not to get copper gaskets. Is that for the header or exhaust gasket, or both?