NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

My corvette weekend is on! motor pull and drop.

Guest c3keith

Guest c3keith

I'm sure I dropped it. It was tragic. It was grabbable with a pair of needle-nose until it suddenly fell as I watched. I let out the biggest F bombs of my life. I guess I'm going to try taking off that oil pan and praying. I just returned the cherry picker this morning.

On an up note, I got a raise and a promotion today and my tomato plant, Tommy, busted out a little tomato today. However, that pales in comparison to my baby being in trouble.

Guest c3keith

I had to take a day off from doing anything...I just couldn't believe I was so clumsy as to drop that bolt...it was truly a one in a million shot.

However, I'm going to give it a shot tonight, turning that crank and taking off the pan. Of course I just got a promotion at work, so I have to work 12 hour days this week to train.

Saturday I'm planning on spending a good amount of time.

Guest c3keith

Well, I let out a big cry when I got the oil pan off and heard the bolt rolling around. However, I can't get the oil pan completely out because there is a steering component blocking the bottom , and the tranny is behind it. So basically, I can fit my hand in, but the oil pan is about 7-8 inches deep, and it also is like one of those little mazes that you turn like a rubics cube to get the little metal ball out inside the oil pan I've gotten the bolt as close as in my finger tips but then lost it. Its hard to find once you drop it. the device I have crafted has 4 magnets running through a coat hanger and bent like a 7 at the end to grab the bolt. However, I feel as though I am not getting enough magneticism to grasp the bolt. I am going to give it another shot tomorrow morning. I was starting to get clausterphobic after about 3 hours of having headers and oil pan in my face. It took that long because I could only access many of the oil pan bolts with a needle nose. Small rotations of the bolts, sometimes like 1/16 turns.

But am almost there. So glad it is accounted for.

Guest c3keith

Thanks for asking...it should all be coming together in the next couple of days. Its down to the nittygritty, and then Dewey and I are going to set the timing...and then I'm going to get through that 1000 mile break-in in a hurry.

Guest c3keith

Turning her over tomorrow. Bam!! The earth with shake and the heavens will thunder.

Marana Rich

So you are telling me that when I drive through Tucson today and feel the ground shake and hear this tremendous roar, not to worry, it's not an earthquake, just you finally firing up the Vette?

Big Poppa

No, Rich... My bad. I had a burrito for breakfast today.... I'm harnessing the power of wind....

Guest c3keith

Well lets hope I don't end up down wind of you...burrito farts kill. However, I think an earthquake does not quite quantify the sound verbally. Its more like a throng of pissed of African lions swept up into several tornadoes that spawned from a class 5 hurricane that has severe p.m.s.

Yes...that is it.

Guest c3keith

Ok, I have it fired up and running, just tinkering with the timing. I don't actually have a timing marker though. Does anyone have any pointers...or want to come show me a good way if you are in tucson?!? haha Its sooooo close, but not quite cruise-ready.

Guest c3keith

It also seems to be a little slow to shift. POssible reasons keeping in mind that the transmission was fine before the swap?

Big Poppa

You need to qualify "slow to shift". Does that mean that the kick down doesn't react properly, or that the upshift isn't crisp?

Guest c3keith

I was told by a veritable source that all i need is to adjust the modulator on the transmission and I will be golden. This week In am going to devote to tightening up and adjustments. I have about 70 miles on the new motor thusfar. I have a serious power draw somewhere that is eating my battery for breakfast. So, thats what I have to contend with. Ive been getting a little impatient, but I'm getting over it.