NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

My corvette weekend is on! motor pull and drop.

Guest c3keith

Guest c3keith

Well, I'm renting a cherry picker from Erv's rental here in tucson. If anyone is curious, the total cost of rental with all the necessary components is $15 a day. I'm picking it up Friday morn and then pulling the old L48. I've pulled everything else and the motor is ready to come out. I'm hoping that goes quickly and I can drop in the new motor in the same day. From then it will just be putting the puzzle back together, hosing it up, and getting the fluids in.

Anyone wants to drop by, feel free. My number is 9739438922, and will be working out of my garage. This is what its all about...being the first person to fire it up and hear it rumble. Wish me LUCK!!

Keith

post-864-1208470281.jpg

Well, I'm renting a cherry picker from Erv's rental here in tucson. If anyone is curious, the total cost of rental with all the necessary components is $15 a day. I'm picking it up Friday morn and then pulling the old L48. I've pulled everything else and the motor is ready to come out. I'm hoping that goes quickly and I can drop in the new motor in the same day. From then it will just be putting the puzzle back together, hosing it up, and getting the fluids in.

Anyone wants to drop by, feel free. My number is 9739438922, and will be working out of my garage. This is what its all about...being the first person to fire it up and hear it rumble. Wish me LUCK!!

Keith

Shoot me the address via PM and I'll come help when I can!

Guest c3keith

When I got to Ervs, the price was $24 a day, not the 12 that they had told me on the phone, but who the hell cares? New motor install is way too important.

post-864-1208549122.jpg

Guest c3keith

Motor out, you guys are missing all the fun! It came out pretty easily, with little problems. I'll be dropping in the new badboy late tomorrow afternoon.

post-864-1208583915.jpg

Guest c3keith

I have to remove the flywheel and torque converter from the old block, but I'll be down in the garage at about 3:30pm to prep for the motor pull.

Just so everyone knows, I've never pulled a motor before, it was like busting a nut taking that thing out! ha excuse the dirty analogy, but thought you should know. Girls, its a G-spot moment.

I can't wait to turn it over.

Just as an FYI, not a beat down, with an Auto transmission, the "Flywheel" is called a flex plate. Have fun with that. I'd be there but I'm in San Antonio on my way to Houston...

Looks like fun Keith, I would love to be there getting all greasy with you guys. Hope the install goes good and you get to turn it over soon...

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes,

If you are single and Keith asks for help........go.

Split tail heaven...

Guest c3keith

I hope everyone knows that means there are a lot of girls around! haha Dewey came by and we got a lot done. The new motor is mounted and attached to the tranny. Just putting everything back together now.

Next time, I wish Dewey would come by in his Vette.

post-864-1208676713.jpg

Looking good. It's been so busy lately, I haven't gotten away for much of anything. Hope you can get her started soon.

Guest c3keith

Actually, I hung out with a lil fox today by the pool, but earlier I only got all the tranny bolts tightened, put up the torque converter cover, filled in the remaining plug holes in the motor and intake manifold, attached miscellaneous parts to the intake manifold.

Tonight I'm rebolting up the headers and the fuelpump. I really wish I had your vette here to diagram how to put this all back together! I'm getting nervous. I'm also curious about the timing set.

Attached is a picture of Dewey standing next to my motor just before it goes in.

post-864-1208748645.jpg

Dood, we all know what Dewey looks like, le's have pictures of the lil fox....

Guest c3keith
No one wants to see pics of me...especially me...let's see the chick pics.

I have some pictures, but they may not be appropriate...ha Unfortunately, I dropped a header bolt in the head while I had the valve cover off to get better clearance at the header. Anyone have a remedy? Or do I have to take off the intake manifold to get it? I was pretty pissed. is there some kind of magnet stick I can jam in there?

I would try a magnet stick or a flexible tool grabber to try and pull it out before removing the Intake Manifold.

Try your local automotive store to get one.

ullman001%20041.jpg

grabbertool.jpg Flexible Tool Grabber

Guest c3keith

I think the magnet might do the trick. the bolt is sitting right under the intake manifold where it dropped in. don't think I'd have to take off the head, but its still annoying. setback.

I would try a magnet stick or a flexible tool grabber to try and pull it out before removing the Intake Manifold.

Try your local automotive store to get one.

ullman001%20041.jpg

grabbertool.jpg Flexible Tool Grabber

I can second that suggestion - used both on several occaisions recently... though the magnet can be tricky as it follws the patth of least resistance toward ANY ferrous metal - not just the part you are trying to reach.

Right Andrew?

Magnets are great. Used them on mine a couple of times for sure. Even fished a bolt out of an ammo drum on the F-16 during an install when one of my dumbazz airman dropped one in there. Much better than sending it back to ARM shop to take the whole thing apart. :lol

Guest c3keith

The WORST possible thing that could have happened, happened. The bolt that I dropped through the tiniest of holes managed to finaegle itself down the distributor shaft, and then in the camshaft? In the oil pan? I don't know. I took off the sealed and bolted intake manifold and can't find this bolt. Corvette guys, please offer me special attention and/or suggestions, I am having a panic attack. Seriously. I made a makeshift magnet attached to a coat hanger to try to fish, but with no success.

Help please. (in a desperate, heartbroken tone of voice)

2 choices to start with, Either pull the oil pan. Or remove the spark plugs and slowly rotate the motor (BY HAND) to feel for binding, or to hear it fall into the oil pan...

Are you sure you dropped a bolt in there?

If it went where the distributer goes you should be able to see it from above, or it has fallen down to the bottom already....