NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The Mother Of All Builds. Update: Motor is here!

knkayotte

Well.............not really, but it is for me. I've decided to "upgrade" the 72's motivation. The little squirrels just are not cutting it anymore (I miss my C5 :( )

This is what I've got planned out so far:

Tranny:

Stage 2, 2004R by Bowtie, as mods go, this is an easy bolt in.

Engine:

This has been driving me crazy, so many different ways to go, I'm leaning towards these guys Blueprint

I know little to nothing about them, but there price and warranty seem pretty darn good.

Leaning towards this motor, seems like the best bang for the buck. 383 motor

This should wake up the 72 nicely.

I've got more technical questions, but will wait for the initial feed back.

Doesn't Chris (Togo) have at least one 383 he'd probably part with for a lot less than retail? Just a thought.....

Leaning towards this motor, seems like the best bang for the buck. 383 motor

I was going to recommend checking our Jeg's first, but after looking they have the same listing for Blueprint, and at the same price.

You could also talk to Chris as was mentioned, His short block has some sweet parts in it. if you can work out a deal with him I can help putting the rest of it together. Jeg's has some nice design heads, or you could go with some Brodix, World or Dart heads....

There's nothing wrong with a good built crate motor, but if you want to really say you built it, then don't be afraid of buying parts, we can put it all together... :rockon2:

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is what I decided to go with, a GM performance HT383, cost a little more but there are just to many horror stories out there about shady engine builders.

HT383

Motor should be here next week.

Lots of reason I went with this motor over others, main factors, it has straight plugs which I need for the headers I want. ZZ motors have angled plugs. Even though it's touted as a truck engine, there are plenty of folks using them in cars and getting very good results with it. Motor also has a ton of potential if I ever want to mod it out in the future.

Here's a little write up:

HT383 Mods

Also have a 2004R on order from Bowtie OD's, should be here in 1.5 weeks :partydance:

Nice write up and nice torquey motor.

I always end up looking at the ZZ383, but that one looks like it'll scoot right along.

Let us know if you need any help!

Nice write up and nice torquey motor.

I always end up looking at the ZZ383, but that one looks like it'll scoot right along.

Let us know if you need any help!

Almost pulled the trigger on a ZZ383, I was concerned the rest of the car wouldn't handle it. The practical side of me finally won over. I can also reuse my 670 Holly and it already comes with an intake manifold.

Nice addition Keith! How long do you think it will take to do the swap? (looks at garage at engine still on stand...) just keep the baling wire close at hand and the car will stand up to anything!

M~

Nice addition Keith! How long do you think it will take to do the swap? (looks at garage at engine still on stand...) just keep the baling wire close at hand and the car will stand up to anything!

M~

Duct tape doesn't hurt either.

My father and mother are coming for the first two weeks in October. I should have everything here by then. I'm also going to take a week off of work while they are here and hopefully do the swap then. My dad's an awesome mechanic, especially with the Gen I motors.

Need to get an engine stand and hoist. Anybody know if the harbor freight ones are any good?

Congrats on the purch of a crate engine....

It will probably be done before Melissa's.

We got our cherry picker from, believe it or not, Checker Auto Parts. Never had a problem with it. That was way back in the 1990's...... I think we also got our engine stand there too.

Andrew

Congrats on the purch of a crate engine....

It will probably be done before Melissa's.

We got our cherry picker from, believe it or not, Checker Auto Parts. Never had a problem with it. That was way back in the 1990's...... I think we also got our engine stand there too.

Andrew

Cool Andrew. Prices are competitive with Harbor Freight and free delivery to local stores.

Not shure what part of town your in but Ive got a cherry picker and engine stand out in the garage just collecting dust your welcome to use them for as long as you need them.

Not shure what part of town your in but Ive got a cherry picker and engine stand out in the garage just collecting dust your welcome to use them for as long as you need them.

way to stand up and support other members jmartin :thumbs

Very nice Keith, do you have finned vette valve covers for it???

I have my originals from the 72, but I don't think you can mount them on these heads. Do you know something I don't?

Thanks for offering the engine stand/hoist. Decided this is a good time to buy my own.

Very nice Keith, do you have finned vette valve covers for it???

I have my originals from the 72, but I don't think you can mount them on these heads. Do you know something I don't?

Thanks for offering the engine stand/hoist. Decided this is a good time to buy my own.

Don't listen to Dawg, he was having a Ken moment!!

Looks great!!

Looks like you will be ready for a wrenching/cookout Sat about the same time the temps go down!! :yesnod

No Booze till the engine-tranny is in and bolted up!!

After that hour is over you are on your own!! :willy

Think about it!!

Ken