I've Failed....emissions Help Asap

F22trainer

Something is telling the PCM ot make it that rich. Cold start mode? vaccume leak?
did I call it or what!.. man Im so good I scare my self some times.
Some times...you scare us ALL the time!! :eek Robert :burnout
:lol:smilelol I was thinking the same thing........Andrew

PS. Good luck Michael.

Got oil change this AM, added 1 pint of denatured alcohol to 1/2 tank of gas....

Hydrocarbons: 0.62 applicable std. is 1.60

Carbon monoxide: 4.97 " 15.0

NOX: 1.65 " 2.50

PASSED!!!!!

THANKS JOE from CLASSIC GOLD and everyone for the advice.

:partydance: Congrats on the PASS Michael! And WTG Joe!! :rockon2:

"Alcohol, it's not just for breakfast anymore...." :drinkers

Let us know if your gas mileage becomes restored, too...

I'm interested to see that myself!

I can feel an improvememnt - no rich misfire on "hammer down", cold starts are a bit more lively, but most significant is no more "pulsing idle" and no more dying after a start. I'm guessing there is a "learnig period" going on and things will continue to improve for a bit longer.

I really had no idea what I was going to do to get it registr'd - short of getting a waiver! If I can get her to hang on until next May, I think all will be cool. Then my question may be - do I trade her in, or just put some $$$ in her and own 2, like brother Ken.

:cool

Michael

Let us know if your gas mileage becomes restored, too...

I'm interested to see that myself!

I can feel an improvememnt - no rich misfire on "hammer down", cold starts are a bit more lively, but most significant is no more "pulsing idle" and no more dying after a start. I'm guessing there is a "learnig period" going on and things will continue to improve for a bit longer.

I really had no idea what I was going to do to get it registr'd - short of getting a waiver! If I can get her to hang on until next May, I think all will be cool. Then my question may be - do I trade her in, or just put some $$$ in her and own 2, like brother Ken.

:cool

Michael

That bottle of alcohol to 1/2 tank of gas works. it brings up the flashpoint and burns much cleaner. Like I said before, it works. Mike

Is there a specific brand? Where do you get it?

Ace Hardware... $4.99 a quart.

Denatured alcohol is also Methanol.

So at what percentage is this stuff, I know store bought rubbing alcohol is something like 9% so is the denatured a higher percentage than that? Just curious cause I can sometimes get my hands on 100% IPA at work and dam that stuff works good at removing black sharpie off just about anything the kids decide to draw on and of coarse is highly flamable.

So at what percentage is this stuff, I know store bought rubbing alcohol is something like 9% so is the denatured a higher percentage than that? Just curious cause I can sometimes get my hands on 100% IPA at work and dam that stuff works good at removing black sharpie off just about anything the kids decide to draw on and of coarse is highly flamable.

container said, CONTENTS: methanol. Since there is no percentage indicated on the can, I have to assume it is full strength. I used to buy gallons of the stuff for work - Isopropyl, methanol, heptane, naptha, etc. Buying trade name brands was more expensive as opposed to buying the chemical itself through places like McMaster-Carr. (eg. trade name BESTINE which is a rubber cement solvent great for removing just about any leftover adhesive from labels, etc., is nothing but heptane. Bestine costs about $25.00 a gallon - Heptane is about $12.) Xerocol is methanol - $35 vs. about $18. Buying in 5 gallon containers cut down our costs by 200% for solvents and earned me a bonus once. Some brands are different and strengths vary with products like lacquer thinner and acetone as they are combinations of solvents, and some lacquer thinners are brand specific to their own products to minimize adverse reactions. IPA is soluable with H20 and is sold diluted in most consumer forms as it is so flammable.

One benefit of Methanol is on plexiglass - it's safe for acryllic and lexan and that's what commercial fabricators use to remove the oil residue leftover during production, before they print on such materials.

Michael

I used isopropyl...1 quart in about 5 gals. of gas, is that why I still failed??? I'm going to have to make a decision on what to do...just get it to pass inspection or rework the motor. If I just get it to pass I would probably put off the rebuild and then always worry that something will finally break. If I get it rebuilt then it should pass and have alot of new parts and a few upgrades. Decisions, decisions. :banghead Glad to hear yours past Michael. :thumbs Robert :burnout

I used isopropyl...1 quart in about 5 gals. of gas, is that why I still failed??? I'm going to have to make a decision on what to do...just get it to pass inspection or rework the motor. If I just get it to pass I would probably put off the rebuild and then always worry that something will finally break. If I get it rebuilt then it should pass and have alot of new parts and a few upgrades. Decisions, decisions. :banghead Glad to hear yours past Michael. :thumbs Robert :burnout

Could be Robert. At the very least I'd recommend you chat with Joe at Classic Gold. He found my O2 sensor was bad, and they have a gas analyzer. As you can see mine passed with flying colors. I doubt you're ready for a rebuild yet! They had mine overnight but it was worth it!

Michael

Could be Robert. At the very least I'd recommend you chat with Joe at Classic Gold. He found my O2 sensor was bad, and they have a gas analyzer. As you can see mine passed with flying colors. I doubt you're ready for a rebuild yet! They had mine overnight but it was worth it!

Michael

I'll call Joe tomorrow and see what he thinks. Robert :burnout

Robert, did you find out anything?

Michael, did your mileage increase?

...don't know yet - but I'm watching it. I don't drive on the freeway anymore, so it's hard to tell. I hit the reset button today and I liked what I saw on the way home. It also started knocking again, not bad just a little when hot and then the sensor kicks in so I know it's running leaner.

Performance seems to be better.

I will keep you posted on the mileage!

Michael

A lil somethin from Chemistry 101 long ago..

Isopropyl is not the one that is used in automotive combustion applications or human consumption :)

Methanol is.

Takes twice the methanol to make the same viable ratio of fuel:air as gasoline.

When methanol burns, the exhaust is water vapor. Period. No nox, no co2, none o that sulfur ..just water vapor.

Methanol breaks down rubber.. fast.

The rubber crystalizes partly and breaks into little gooey chunks that truly screw up a carburetor.

Sterno is methanol. So is moonshine -evil grin-

-Frank