I've Failed....emissions Help Asap

F22trainer

Failed emissions yesterday - got 2 weeks to get tags and don't have money to throw at this problem.

I had suspected it was running rich and the test confirmed, so how can I get it leaned to pass. ECM controls everything - I have no clue where to start.

I know the header exhaust install had something to do with it - but it has stopped knocking since then !!!!!!LOL

I have a scan tool and will run a diagnostic after golf this morning (present from roomie - FORE!)

Anyone got some tricks I should know about, BTW I have the Helms manual and was reading that last night but didn't get past getting info from the ECM using scan tool

Anyway, Hydrocarbons were 5.14 (1.60 standard), Carbon Monoxide 118.05 (15.00 standard)

Did you have any luck Robert????

I'll check back in a few....

Michael

Failed emissions yesterday - got 2 weeks to get tags and don't have money to throw at this problem.

I had suspected it was running rich and the test confirmed, so how can I get it leaned to pass. ECM controls everything - I have no clue where to start.

I know the header exhaust install had something to do with it - but it has stopped knocking since then !!!!!!LOL

I have a scan tool and will run a diagnostic after golf this morning (present from roomie - FORE!)

Anyone got some tricks I should know about, BTW I have the Helms manual and was reading that last night but didn't get past getting info from the ECM using scan tool

Anyway, Hydrocarbons were 5.14 (1.60 standard), Carbon Monoxide 118.05 (15.00 standard)

Did you have any luck Robert????

I'll check back in a few....

Michael

Are they making the standards harder or what? My car didn't pass in California and I know a guy in a C4 who didn't pas either :banghead

ok while I dont fully know where to start, but I have a garage, tools, and some common sence to offfer. I did score an 11 on that IQ test BTW. :D

If its that rich, we should be able to smell it.

Something is telling the PCM ot make it that rich. Cold start mode? vaccume leak?

finally I can boast an advantage to living 55 miles from work in the middle of the desert...NO EMISSIONS TESTING YEAH!!! :banannasword::rockon2:

:toetap I hate emmisions...

roomie's dad is a mechanic for City of Chicago - does testing and repair of their vehicles...

first recommendation is to change the oil - it's overdue I know.

Next is injector cleaner for a couple of tanks of gas, then some 104 octane fuel after to help finish cleaning 'em up.

I know the wires have about 80K on them...think they need to be replaced too??????

I'll get in touch Chad if I can use your help - THANX!!!

Anyone else care to weigh in???

Michael

What kind of mileage are you getting?

I would start with basic stiff that probably needs doing anyway....cap/rotor, wires, plugs, filters (all) and run some Chevron

Super and a bottle of Techron. Failing that, you may look at fuel pressure diaprahm, cold start injector, timing is correct, make sure plenum is not sucking air, etc....this is probably a good time to change teh oxygen sensor, and take a good long

look at teh catalytic cinverter...

Give Mike a call at AZP&S so he can hook a computer up and see where it might be going bad. Hell, he can even adjust the fuel to lean her out a bit to pass and then fix her up good after that when you have time and money.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

I would start with basic stiff that probably needs doing anyway....cap/rotor, wires, plugs, filters (all) and run some Chevron

Super and a bottle of Techron. Failing that, you may look at fuel pressure diaprahm, cold start injector, timing is correct, make sure plenum is not sucking air, etc....this is probably a good time to change teh oxygen sensor, and take a good long

look at teh catalytic cinverter...

After the headers and exhaust went on I did notice a drop in mileage - kind of gradual (thought it was 'cause of my foot :o) LOL), from around 20 down now to about 16.8. Since I'm running only 5 miles to work now I haven't noticed my mileage suffering as one tank lasts a week. (before it was 50 miles each way)

I put new plugs , cap and rotor in a month ago - got some wires today, they'll go on tomorrow AM, along with a bottle of Techron.I always run Chevron Super.

As for 02 sensor - I don't think it has one any more and EGR also blocked off. Got failures on both from the scan tool.

Sean, I was thinking of giving AZPS a call for sure

Guest Kens06

Michael,

You put headers on, what type i.e. shorties- midlength-longtubes??

Did you have a new chip burned after the headers?

You have to have O2 sensors or the thing won't run and what did they do for cats with the header install??

It costed me $350 [new cats] to get the 92 thru emissions.

Better call the CC company and request a limit raise!!

Give Joe @ Classic Gold a call, he got the 92 passed in a couple days.

I think he can get custom chips burned too!

Ken

Michael,

You put headers on, what type i.e. shorties- midlength-longtubes??

Did you have a new chip burned after the headers?

You have to have O2 sensors or the thing won't run and what did they do for cats with the header install??

It costed me $350 [new cats] to get the 92 thru emissions.

Better call the CC company and request a limit raise!!

Give Joe @ Classic Gold a call, he got the 92 passed in a couple days.

I think he can get custom chips burned too!

Ken

Ken - Meryl at EM did the install, that group buy thing he put together. I think they are long tube. He also put cats' on as the exhaust pkg is the full Corsa system with cats'. No new chip - I didn't think I wanted to go near that one.

Thanks bro'

Joe has always been my man in the past for sure fixes...think I'll try him first. That's after I wrestle in the new wires today.

Michael

Guest Kens06

You actually have 30 days from the failed test to get things corrected. Just keep the paperwork in the car if you don't pass by the time the plates expire.

Are you sure the CO was 118.05 not 18.05??

My CO was 24 against a 12 for my year but the hydrocarbons were in the triple digits due to cats with 100K on them.

Don't waste $$ on plugs, wires, rotorcap and basic tune stuff unless you wanted to do that anyway!!

Make sure you bring the emission paperwork with you where ever you take the car!

Ken

Next is injector cleaner for a couple of tanks of gas, then some 104 octane fuel after to help finish cleaning 'em up.

I know the wires have about 80K on them...think they need to be replaced too??????

Michael

Unless your running high compression motor or FI, run on the lowest octane you can get away with without ping. Higher octane = more residue not completely burned off, especially in a motor designed to run 93 octane or less.

Michael

Unless your running high compression motor or FI, run on the lowest octane you can get away with without ping. Higher octane = more residue not completely burned off, especially in a motor designed to run 93 octane or less.

On a half tank of gas, I've added a bottle of alcohol and then re-tested and Passed several vehicles. Just my 2 cents. Mike

i'd recommend changing the oil, checking the cats/o2 sensors, ad just before you go to emissions, put a big bottle of rubbing alcohol in the gas tank. i've never had a car fail...ever.

Can someone explain how alcohol affects the combustion of gasoline to reduce emissions? What are the dangers of running alcohol all the time, if any, in a car like mine which wasn't designed for it?

Thanks

Can someone explain how alcohol affects the combustion of gasoline to reduce emissions? What are the dangers of running alcohol all the time, if any, in a car like mine which wasn't designed for it?

Thanks

Alcohol will reek havoc on rubber lines, the same with the seals on the carb. That is why you would want to mix it with gas and not use it all the time.

It will burn cleaner because it doesn’t emit carbon dioxide. When taking a car in for emissions testing you would want to use about one quart to a full tank of gas. Some will use up to a gallon to a tank of gas. I guess it depends on how bad the emissions are.

Denatured alcohol is what you would use. I guess you could probably us 151 or Everclear too…… :burnout2

Andrew

I guess you could probably us 151 or Everclear too…… :burnout2

Andrew

NO, that would be alcohol abuse Mister. :toetap:lol

Do your headers have the connectors for the air injection system? If not that may be part of your problem the cats need that extra O2 to help burn off any partialy burnt or unburnt fuel exiting the engine

Thanks for the help...

Joe had it this week and found a bad vaduum line and replaced the 02 sensor. Getting an oil change this morning and then off to ADEQ. I'll dump a bottle of denatured alcohol in too before I go.

Wish me luck.

Michael

Something is telling the PCM ot make it that rich. Cold start mode? vaccume leak?

did I call it or what!

.. man Im so good I scare my self some times.

did I call it or what!

.. man Im so good I scare my self some times.

Some times...you scare us ALL the time!! :eek Robert :burnout