more emissions crap

dcoleaz

ok, it all started out pretty easy, i went ahead and bought some Denatured Alcohol from ACE. Nice 1/2 gallon size, for $14 bucks. Apparently it is used for painting purposes. Dumped about 36 ounces and test drove around a bit. It seemed to be running smoother even though the idle was still up at 1100.

Went to emissions, paid the man and it failed again. I was getting a bit tired f the entire process so i contacted the closest shop around. They are called Emissions Express off of 23rd ave and Peoria. GREAT FOLKS!

I paid the 70 bucks and watched the masters to their thing. They have the same testing machine so they are able to adjust and test at the same time. There are a few vacuum leaks that were corrected and my car is not adjusting as well as it should. Suggested a rebuild.

We got the car to the desired "emission" acceptable level and as the tech drove it around to the front, BANG.....FIRE under the dash down by the fuses.

I run out after seeing someone running with a fire putter outer and see the 6 foot 3 dude jumping from my car. LOL He gave it a quick spurt ant it went out.

After pushing it back into the garage we found that there is a fusable link wire under the hood that burned through and when it split it grounded out to the master cylinder....thus causing the melt down.

I looked at the wiring and decided to have the car towed home. We did stop by an Auto Electric shop with the vette and had the owner look at the damage. He said it "looks" easy to fix just splice and butt connect all 16 wires. It did not look like anything else was damaged except the hood release cable.

So yesterday was pretty crappy. I have made all the splices and connectors while i was drinking myself to sleep. I will be making the cuts one by one this week.

I also made an appointment with the electric guy to go through all my wiring and repair/replace any old or damaged wires.

The shop owner and his wife are restoring a 57 vette and are huge car buffs. Tami and Ray Suiter. Tami said they would recheck my car when it is put back together. Nice people.

So that is story for now. :)

anmracing

wow, that is a hella story! I'm glad you don't have worse news, but it still sounds pretty dramatic. Let us know if we can do anything to help out. You know, point at stuff, or hold the wire cutters or something....

M~

Man so glad the fire got put out. Sure could have been bad. :D

Grayeagle

Sheesh .. glad they were spot on with the extinguisher for sure.

Vacuum leaks suck.

Can be tuff to find.

Shotgun approach is just to replace all the little hoses that plug into the carb and intake.

Still may be a fitting or the intake or carb gasket leakin tho.

-Frank

At least the car was not destroyed and no one was hurt.

Tough break though. Hope it all goes back together soon.

Sheesh .. glad they were spot on with the extinguisher for sure.

Vacuum leaks suck.

Can be tuff to find.

Shotgun approach is just to replace all the little hoses that plug into the carb and intake.

Still may be a fitting or the intake or carb gasket leakin tho.

-Frank

Not so easy on an early 70's C3. There's one hose that connects from the intake and runs everything else in the car: climate control under the dash and center console, wiper door, headlights, then there's the override switches, solenoids and headlight switch behind the gauges. A leak anywhere leads back to the intake.

I've been tracking down leaks in my buddy's coupe for weeks. His headlights now work reliably, tho. I'm lucky mine was pretty easy...

Robert and Elizabeth
All I can say is... OMG!!

:agree Wow... OMG!!

Geeze Daren, what a story. Some day you will look back and laugh when telling your kids/friends this story. Thank God the fellows at Emissions Express had that fire extinguisher nearby!!

E~

Yeah, i was more concerned about the guy, we was concerned his big feet hit something....sort of funny now.

I do chock it up as "learning" but i am really ready to drive not learn. I keep taking 1 step forward and 2 back.

Thanks again for comments and suggestions. Like i keep saying i will meet some of you soon. d