NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Updates from my trip to Bowling Green for CruiseIn

BSeery

Well the event was a lot of fun and I highly recommend it if you like to meet people, have some cool cruises and don't mind public drunkenness.

I left Chandler around 9 a.m. on Saturday the 21st of May. Around Payson I knew I was having some problems with my power steering. I checked the level and it was good, but the power assist was not there anymore. Around Winslow I lost all the power steering fluid and the cap somewhere on the road. I would later find parts of the cap in the reservoir. We think the cap was "blown" off the container due to high pressures. I cut the power steering belt and continued on manually, thinking that I was glad I didn't have one belt for all systems or I would have been going back home on a flat bed truck at this point.

I cruised through New Mexico with little a problem and found out that past Albuquerque the state is very pretty with some nice rolling hills. My plan was to only do about 600 miles per day, and that would get me around Albq or Tucumcarri. I had a late start, already lost 1 hour to the power steering issue but still felt like I could go a little further. I continued on until Amarillo Texas. Not bad for doing the speed limit all day long.

I pulled out of Amarillo Sunday morning around 9 a.m. I pushed on through Oklahoma and found the worst road conditions every. The road was pounding the car and trailer and everything not nailed down in my Vette was bouncing all over the place. Oklahoma City had construction and that slowed us down to around 30 MPH. Once past OKC it was more pounding roads all the way over to Ft. Smith. I had planned on staying at Ft. Smith but again thought I could go a little further. So, I figured that Little Rock, 120 miles away, would be a good stop. Next thing I know I am past Little Rock getting gas in Wheatly and was only about 40 miles from Memphis and the Tennessee state line. I pushed on through Memphis and the construction there and stayed on the east side of town for the night.

Next morning I pulled out around 8 a.m. with less than 250 miles to go. Before I thought the trip to Laughlin was a long ass trip in my car, but now 300 miles was less than a tank of gas and this was just a hop skip and a jump in my long journey.

I pulled into my parent's place in Murfreesboro around 11:30 a.m. I finally got out of the car around 11:45 a.m. - tired and beat up from the long trip in an old car.

As for not staying in motels, well here is my take on that. Sometimes when I am driving in the Toyota or the truck to Yuma or Show Low or whatever, sometimes on the way home I will get tired. So, I pull over and take a nap (1 hour) and then I am good to go again for a while. Well, I have never tried this in the Vette.

You can not take a nap in a 1980 Corvette.

The same seating position that is less than comfortable for 750 mile per day trips is even less comfortable to sleep in. The Toyota I can recline the seat, the truck I can lay across the bench. The Vette --- HA !! I can't move anything except my foot on the pedals and my right arm from shifter to steering wheel. So, sleeping in the Vette was out.

Anyway, we ran out and got a power steering pump last night and spent all morning putting that on the car today. Had to get a new return hose made from a hydralic shop as the other one was fried, brittle and would not slip on the new pump. Got the new pump on, started it up and with in 30 seconds it started howling. Well, we thought that maybe it ran dry a bit. Checked the dipstick and it was a little low. So we added more fluid and started it up. Suddenly the steering wheel would turn BY IT'S SELF from one side all the way to the other and then return !!! The wheels were moving by them self !! I could hold the steering wheel and they wouldnt move, but even releasing it caused them to take off from side to side. About 40 seconds later the pump started howing again. We pulled the cap off and the fluid is now dark brown (went in clear) and it was smoking.

We hope that we just got a bad pump and that the new rack and pinion system did not kill the first pump and now claimed a second one. Tonight I am going to go get a third pump and try again. If this one goes bad, I will drive the car to and from Bowling Green manual, drive it home manual and Speed Direct will have to ship me out a new rack. By the way, the first pump was leaking from where the pump meets the resivoir, yes - we had to fill it just to watch it leak.

So, that has been the fun for today. Tonight it's ribs on the grill, more power steering pump work, beer drinking and then tomorrow I head off to Bowling Green.

We spent all day Tuesday installing 2 other power steering pumps trying to fix the problems with the car. We thought we had it fixed and I pulled out Wednesday afternoon to head to Bowling Green. I made it 1 block and blew the pump and pressure hose again. I cut the belt again and continued on my way manually once more.

I got just north of the Kentucky state line when I finally saw the first Corvette going my way. I fell in behind them for the last 10 mile dash to Bowling Green.

Greetings from Bowling Green !!!!

I made it.

Blew up 3 power steering pumps, 2 pressure lines and about a gallon of fluid left over 7 states, but I made it.

I am staying at the Baymont, which is "Party Central" and were all the evening festivities are at. Roscoe brought his smoker / BBQ grill and served up all you could eat Brats and I chipped in for my share of beer. For the rest of the night I sat and ate and drank and met people from the forum that I only knew by screen name. We all just sat around drinking and eating and drinking and drinking and drinking and drinking ...... well you get the idea.

Thursday I went through the museum and have just been taking it easy. Once the car cools down a bit I will wax it up real good for the people's choice car show tomorrow.

Speed Direct is sending me a new rack and pinion, new pressure hoses and new power steering pump overnight for delivery to my father's place. Monday we will install the new system before my long ride home.

Other than the power steering the car has been o.k. 22-23 mpg, doing about 75 - 80 MPH (pulling a trailer).

So far most of the "seminars" have been a bust. About 10 people showed up to the drag racing seminar, and the detailing seminar flopped because the host was a no show.

Note for people coming next year: go to the autocross and pass on the drag races. Also, a lot of people show up just to sit outside the hotel and drink beer all day. Stay at the Baymont or the Hampton, but the Motel 6 is said to be teh suck. Baymont is much better because that is where all the :drinkers happens.

Just inside now posting between rounds of :drinkers . I will be back out again until around midnight or so again.

Tomorrow it's time to pack and :burnout: back down to Nashville. Need to get there in time to watch the Indy 500 then the Coca Cola 600. After that we will start :bang on the power steering system. Steeroids has sent (overnight delivery) an entire new rack, new hoses and a new power steering pump (which is not even part of the original kit). So we will put that on and hope that all works as it should.

http://arizonavette.net/events/CI6web/index.htm -- pictures in no order or caption. Those will take me a little bit of time....

I'm going to try doing the same on our excursion along the Hotrod Power Tour. Taking the laptop and camera. Every night the hotel has wireless internet.

Hotels?

I figured I would drive until I got tired, then find a rest area, pull over and nap. Then, when ever I woke up, drive until I get tired again.

Hotels ???? Hell, I can go 3 days without a shower or bed. It will be just like camping :ack

Hotels ???? Hell, I can go 3 days without a shower or bed. It will be just like camping :ack

No. This is a vacation with just me, a bunch of drunken Corvette / Forum Geeks and for a few days, my dad.

Desertdawg

Well, I sure hope your Dad makes you take a bath...if not, then consider missing Arizona on the way home... :smilelol: :smilelol: :smilelol:

how you connecting to the net? Armstrong steering, gota suck. What don't kill you........

3,503 lbs of trouble
Somewhere on U.S. 87 is a power steering cap for a 1980 Corvette. Somewhere after that is all my power steering fluid.

Desertdawg

You forgot to mention about the other vette you saw, (with a trailer hitch)... :smilelol: You should have parked next to him so you guys wouldn't be called "uniball" anymore...

Turn the AC off, and take the T tops off so at least you can look out over the top to see who is following you. And you won't freeze up the AC anymore. :D

Be safe, and stay away from the wrecks... :thumbs:

P.S. This thread sucks without dialup clogging pictures.. :toetap

Sounds like I40 is teh suck! In about a week I'll let you know how it is in something a little more civilized :lol:

Sounds like you're making good time. Like Dwayne said, stay away from those wrecks! Let's see some pics when you get to Mom and Dad's.

BTW - This is only Sunday and you're in a motel? Weren't you jabbing me about staying in hotels every night. You don't even have a female creature with you to demand it! :toetap

Turn the AC off, and take the T tops off so at least you can look out over the top to see who is following you. And you won't freeze up the AC anymore. :D

Guest XLR8TNC5

Awesome thread! Keep the updates coming and have fun! Remember, that was the point. Right? lol.

Tell Tracy if she needs anything, she is welcome to call me. PM me for the cell#.

STAY SAFE!

Tanya

Glad to see you are doing well, even if you are having little problems with the vette. You have to be getting sore. You go man!! Do us proud!

keep the faith, and don't forget what you said in your other thread!

Sorry for all those that made the trip for nothing. Only thing I can offer is that any time spent in a Corvette is time well spent.

uhhhh, did bryan get lost? is he in florida now?

where are all the pics and updates???

Hopefully he doesn't wake up to banjo music in any of those reststops! :lol: :lol:

3,503 lbs of trouble
Hopefully he doesn't wake up to banjo music in any of those reststops!  :lol:lol:

To keep this dial up friendly, I will only post a few till I get home.

Looks like you were a good car length ahead of that 18 wheeler when you went through the traps (even with the trailer). The 14.99 Dawg would be proud of you! :D