NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

[F/S guaging interest] my '99 with 408 and ZEX wet kit

Togo

been staring at this car since our last cruise and am having a hard time justifying paying $150 a month to insure a car i drive every 3 or 4 weeks (if that) and i'm seeing the depreciation of the car increase all the time.

does anybody think i'm outta my mind?

description

MTI 408 iron block 10.8-1CR

TNT nitrous kit made by Zex 75HP wet kit (so 'im told, i've never used it)

MTI stage (something - have to look this up) heads

New Z06 3.42 with shot peened gears rear end

blackwing intake

new dewitts radiator and hoses

New Racetronix fuel pump

KB Boostapump still installed (probably not being used right now)

Kooks 1 7/8 headers

F.A.S.T 90mm intake

Ls2 90mm TB

5pt wolfe cage

Spec III clutch

B&m short throw shifter

Corsa Indy Exhaust w/hi-flow cats

$2k in custom stereo setup (not going to list everything)

i'd love to get $30K with all i've put into it - i already have an offer on the car from the guy i bought it from, but the offer's not quite $30K

someone either buy this or talk me out of selling it!!!!!

I do not think you should sell it because you will always want to be driving something you no longer have.

I could not see selling my current Vette, and going to a stock Vette without wanting to modify it right away.

You maybe need to look at your insurance and change the milage you drive in a year, and see if that would help bring the cost down.

Hope this helps a little on your decision. Tough call.

Phil... :devil

I agree with Dwayne and Phil. I think over the years you've proven to yourself that you love driving a Vette. In the case of your current Vette I think it is one sweet ride but I'm not sure how driveable it is. It's great fun on our cruises but is it the same amount of fun to drive back and forth to work on a daily basis? If your answer is yes then ask yourself why am I not driving it?

I think only you can make the decision. It boils down to why aren't you using it and can that change?

Why only once every 3 to 4 weeks????

Is it that bad of a driver????

When I got mine about a year ago, I told my insurance I'd probably only put about 5k a year on it....well, a year has come and gone and some how I have put about 10k on it???? How the f____ did that happen???

I love driving it!!!!! That's how!

If you don't like the car then by all means sell it. If it's JUST BECAUSE I don't drive it and it's costing me money then don't...and get out and drive her more.

If I'm not mistaken you don't have any kids. Take your wife (I think she's your wife anyway :lol ) out on the weekend/day off just for the hell of it. Pick one day a week to drive her...something to keep the passion about the car alive.

My :2cents

:ACE:RULES!!!

KEEP IT!!

I drive my vette only once a month if I am lucky. But man when I do, it just gives me a great big, hmm, well you know where that was going. But KEEP IT! You will be so sorry if you got rid of it.

Been there done that...

Chris you need to decide if you get any JOY out of the car. Peroid.

If you dont, then sell her, and dont look back.

Now in my Opnion,

... you are high on crack. :D

I think you have a great car that has quirks. THe car has quirks because people before you (and you too) have half assed the repair work to save money.

I think to get this car up to snuff does not need alot of money, but time and a game plan.

my 2 cts.

as an ACE member and a friend Id like to have a few drinks with you and talk about a game plan.

(ed note): When I say "Half Assed" im not refering to the Dollar amount spent, Im refering to the patch work stragety of the work done to the car. Click here for an example

...ohh snap!

Guest UVETTYA

Hey Chris, open the bottle and take her for a spin. You'll have a whole new perspective on life. :thumbs

I don't know how important $150 a month is to you but if you sell your Vette, another one will cost you that much plus a car payment - because you'll have to have another one once yours is gone and you realize how much you miss it. :yesnod

Let's see... $150 a month in my pocket....

OR a bad ass Corvette that I can drive anytime I like.

Hmmmmm Run that by me again....

$150 a month in my pocket....

Or a bad ass Corvette I can drive anytime I like.

Anymore questions? :thumbs

Chris,

I have to agree with Chad. Your car was pieced together. You always wanted a bad ass vette... and now you say that you dont drive it. I drive mine every thursday through saturday no matter what the weather (minus rain- cause corvettes melt).... You should get a bigger break on your insurance having multiple cars. I have allstate, and only pay 90 bucks a month for full coverage on the vette. Now I know I am a little older, but after 25 you dont get another discount till you get married.

Now 150 bucks a month is not alot of money.. Get a paper-route and pay for your insurance... its 37.50 a week. I bet you blow more than that on fast food.

Reach down... find your nut sack... and race/drive your car... if you break it ... fix it... Start coming to events/ track days/ cruises... etc...

Driving a vette is not just a car .. its a lifestyle.... how many people wave to you in your silverado?

If money is truely the reason why you dont drive your corvette (premium gas is expensive)... then ... get out of the game... sorry to see you go...

i guess i'll suck it up - i know that right off the bat i'd lose over $10K by selling it - as we all know you can never get out of a car what you put into it!

the thing that saddens me is seeing it just sit there in the parking lot at the apartment - no garage to park in, getting dirty, depreciating, etc.

i drive 1.5 miles ROUND TRIP to work, so the car isn't even warmed up when i shut it off once i get to work, and that concerns me that it's doing more damage than if it had just sat there.

also, now i need a clutch - here goes another $1000, rear tires, another $500 or so, an alternator $260 or so i've been told, and the damn drivers door lock still doesn't lock with the power locks.

other than that, the car is great and i love it, it's just like seeing a big bag of money sitting in the parking space open - a dollar here and a dollar there just flying out of the bag, theni put more into it, and it will always have money falling out of it.

i guess i could look to change the deductibles on the insurance to help bring the costs down

i know i made a mistake when i bought this car - Van Chevrolet is still advertising C6's for just under $40K - and i've got more than that in this car! - chalk that one up to a lesson learned!!!!!

you guys all made me sad when i read your responses - so i guess i'll see ya all at the frog!

buck up Soilder YOu have friends here

I only drive my car on the weekends. thats it.

and for the moment i have not driven her for 2 weeks since some moron fried the clutch and possibly warped the flywheel.

ok first things first.

Get your ass over to my place and lets tackle the interior. We will fix all your interior woes..

door locks, led bulbs, stereo, carpet, heat insulation, Wind noise, creeks, cracks, all of it.

Forget the engine, drivetrain and body for now. focus your attation on the interior. One step at a time. If we need to leave your car at my place for a week in the garage, so be it.

That is what ACE is about. :thumbs

i drive 1.5 miles ROUND TRIP to work, so the car isn't even warmed up when i shut it off once i get to work, and that concerns me that it's doing more damage than if it had just sat there.

You are incorrect friend. the only "damage" that occurs to a car is 30seconds during a cold start up. 30 seconds is the time it takes for the oil to splash and flow throught the innards.

Moter oil does its job wether its 70* or 300*. If its lower than 70* it still works, but it take 45 seconds to splash around.

We are all programmed that the car needs to be warmed up or we are doing damage to it. Wrong. It needs to be warmed up to get Peak Fule enconemy and HP to meed the CAFE standards.

chad

Chris... Drive the car to work... or take it for a drive on the weekends.. I work from home (no commute) and I can still manage over 150 miles a week on mine. Get a cover... They cost about 100 bucks or so.

So why dont u drive it? You need to take Jackie out more (for an excuse to take your car out)....

Ingine warm up is just another hoax by the oil companies to get you to use up more fuel. Just kidding, but it sounds good...... An engine will typically warm up faster under load then it would if it is just sitting there running. It will run richer when idling and if you have a high lift cam, all your doing is spewing gas out the exhaust.

It will take a care about 4-5 minutes to warm up when driving, especially in AZ (sometimes it's all ready be at running temp just sitting in the parking lot during the day :D ) and about 10 minutes if left to idle on its own.

Keep the car. Drive it. Have fun with it. That's what this is all about.

Andrew

Guest Sidewinder
You are incorrect friend. the only "damage" that occurs to a car is 30seconds during a cold start up. 30 seconds is the time it takes for the oil to splash and flow throught the innards.

Moter oil does its job wether its 70* or 300*. If its lower than 70* it still works, but it take 45 seconds to splash around.

We are all programmed that the car needs to be warmed up or we are doing damage to it. Wrong. It needs to be warmed up to get Peak Fule enconemy and HP to meed the CAFE standards.

Actually, driving your car a short distance everyday is VERY bad for the oil. The oil needs to heat up to about 200 deg to burn off all the gas residue, condensed water and other contaminates that form in an internal combustion engine. Short trips with low oil temps=short oil life (even if you use crappy Mobil 1. You know they changed their formula right? :yesnod ).

Letting your car warm up is old school back when pistons were made out of metal that expanded slowly and make horrible noise when cold. Contracted piston, go to accelerate, oil blow-by, you get the picture.

Us with valve springs made for high lift cams let our cars warm up 'cause the spings are strong but brittle when cold.

The water that comes out of your exhaust when you first start the car is from the oil pan, not the fuel. I get a kick out of guys who put "gas dryer" in the tank trying to stop the water from coming out of the exhaust.

(==Shields up==) :lol

I call "HIJACK" on myself

Sidewinder is right.

I forgot about the oil warm up to 215* to burn off water/gas vapor.

ok ok so once every 3-4 start ups, maks sure the oil reaches 215*

Biggest thing I think for you if you like/love the car is JUST GET OUT AND DRIVE HER!

Don't sweat what you have to put into her...you have to do that with any car...whether it's a payment, gas, tires, oil etc. I thought my wife would start bugging when I started spending money on mine...not a peep...so far. :lol:xfinger Probably because she knows what the car means to me.

buck up Soilder YOu have friends here

I only drive my car on the weekends. thats it.

and for the moment i have not driven her for 2 weeks since some moron fried the clutch and possibly warped the flywheel.

ok first things first.

Get your ass over to my place and lets tackle the interior. We will fix all your interior woes..

door locks, led bulbs, stereo, carpet, heat insulation, Wind noise, creeks, cracks, all of it.

Forget the engine, drivetrain and body for now. focus your attation on the interior. One step at a time. If we need to leave your car at my place for a week in the garage, so be it.

That is what ACE is about. :thumbs

I'm IN!

it definitely needs insulation and sound deadening inside - i need to order a few more LED bulbs, so i need to JUST DO IT

chad, if you could PM me a parts list for the insulation and deadening, i'll get to ordering so we can get started - then i need a clutch installed - and new tires, then a friggin' RETUNE - cuz i'm not really enjoying the car right now - i need MORE POWER!

I'll through my 2 penny's in the pot here......I love my 80 vette...ins only $250.00 a year full coverage....I haven't driven mine all winter..SNOW ya know up here in the mountains....but I do warm her up reg.......I would regret selling mine unless it was to get a newer one...It's warming up here and will be taking it on runs alot more ...Valley driving was the pitts with the heat...but here in Show Low i'm really looking forward to daily drives.....just my 2 cents...Don't sell just drive it

I would regret selling mine unless it was to get a newer one...

I just did this last fall, traded my 82CE for the 98 vert we have now.

You will miss the C3..... :banghead .

You will not be able to wipe the smile off your face.... :D