NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Middle Of Changing Oil Pressure Switch

Bigfoot

Waiting for new O-rings to put it all back together...man alive there is a lot of crap to disconnect from this thing. :bang

And boy oh boy, was it dirty under there. Pics are after a bunch of wiping and cleaning. More needs to be done...but that can wait till tomorrow.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Hope it goes on easier than it came off :crazy ...and who would have known you need a special socket for the darn pressure switch? :crazy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot

• Desertdawg

• P51tj

• nort99

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Waiting for new O-rings to put it all back together...man alive there is a lot of crap to disconnect from this thing. :bang

And boy oh boy, was it dirty under there. Pics are after a bunch of wiping and cleaning. More needs to be done...but that can wait till tomorrow.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Hope it goes on easier than it came off :crazy ...and who would have known you need a special socket for the darn pressure switch? :crazy

We have the socket if you need to borrow it...

Also if you want a LS6 intake while its off, I have one I will sell for $300! I know I hate taking parts off unless its upgrading them :) Also look into a LS6 PCV plate... they arent very expensive, or we have used ones in stock... it helps out with crank case pressure and oil consumption! Both easy installs since its already all off!

$300....hmmmm. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Where is the PCV plate? I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks for the offer on the loaner tool, but I got one from Checker and they'll let me return it too (they call it rental, but you get all your money back). :yesnod

Guest AZ Power & Sound
$300....hmmmm. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Where is the PCV plate? I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks for the offer on the loaner tool, but I got one from Checker and they'll let me return it too (they call it rental, but you get all your money back). :yesnod

The valley cover is the plate youre looking at that you cleaned up! the LS1s get air from the intake manifold that goes into the valve covers... problem is they are a very high pressure area which forces the air, and sometimes oil into the intake manifold and causes oil consumption! The LS6 valley cover solves that by making the pressure vent source on the valley cover, which while a high pressure area, doesnt have any oil that can be sucked up! You have to buy the valley cover and the vent tube, and then vacuum cap the old system off and remove it! Looks cleaner as well! In 2001 GM changed the Z06 to this system and later updated it to all LS1/LS6 engines and now LS2 as well.

Why did you need new O rings??? I did mine a month ago and the rings were still good.

I had all my railroad tools handy in my work truck, so I didn't need to go find any thing extra to do the sensor, I did remove the bolt next to the sensor though to get my wrench in there...

Just be sure to get one of your kids with a little hand to reach in there when you put the manifold on, to get that little vacume line back on. There was no way in heck my, or your big hand will fit!!!

Dawg,

I did not "need" new O-rings, but since it is off and since some of them are showing some signs of wear, I figured better safe than sorry. :D

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Yeah, I am still trying to figure out how to get all that stuff on the back of the intake reconnected. I don't think my kids little hands are gonna be strong enough to do that little vacuum line. I had to pull really hard to get it off.

AZP&S,

I did a little looking last night on the LS6 intake. One site said "Sold complete with necessary new coolant pipe and block off covers." Will I need to get any of this stuff or will the one you have come with this as well.

No wonder you are slower in the 1/4, there blue rags in there. Remove them and I bet your times will get better. :lol:leaving

No wonder you are slower in the 1/4, there blue rags in there. Remove them and I bet your times will get better. :lol:leaving

Ha Ha, you funny man!!! :lol

Now that is Funny. :D Yep that is the problem, Red rags would make it go faster.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Dawg,

I did not "need" new O-rings, but since it is off and since some of them are showing some signs of wear, I figured better safe than sorry. :D

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Yeah, I am still trying to figure out how to get all that stuff on the back of the intake reconnected. I don't think my kids little hands are gonna be strong enough to do that little vacuum line. I had to pull really hard to get it off.

AZP&S,

I did a little looking last night on the LS6 intake. One site said "Sold complete with necessary new coolant pipe and block off covers." Will I need to get any of this stuff or will the one you have come with this as well.

I should have all that stuff laying around! or at least the block offs... if not we generally make them from your piece in about 5 minutes

Also do NOT pull hard on that vacuum line! The plastic is VERY brittle and it goes into the main harness... if it breaks or cracks you will be in a world of fun trying to replace it! be VERY careful when reinstalling it, or as some others said, get a small hand in there to help!

I noticed that you removed the throttle body as well. We usually unbolt it from the manifold and leave it attached to the cooling system so we dont have to deal with coolant or bleeding the system. Now that its apart your getting alot of advice. I agree with the ls-6 intake and pcv upgrade, repairs are alot more fun if you also get some hp out of the deal. Plus you can tell the old lady that its part of the repair rather than a mod. Good luck...Joe

I am sooooo tempted. But it's all about cash.

Intake..........................$300

PCV valley plate............$81

Blockoffs/coolant lines...$45 (since it's used)

Big :D .........................Priceless

Guest AZ Power & Sound

The block offs and coolant lines were brand new from GM ;)

The block offs and coolant lines were brand new from GM ;)

:thumbs But I was refering to the intake being used. :D

Once I sleep on it I may be calling you tomorrow. :eek

OK, I'm really leaning towards the LS6 intake and PCV valley...but, I need to know a few things first. :eek

I see how and where the new cooling line/block offs go. :thumbs

Anyone,

The PCV valley cover I have now has to wires that go into the center of two black "disks" down into the block. Are these now gone on the new cover? and if so, what happens to the wires and connetor at the fuel rail? If they stay, how is the new one so much better?

IMG_0047.jpg

AZP&S,

If I do this, how long will it take to get the valley cover and the new coolant lines?

Guest AZ Power & Sound
OK, I'm really leaning towards the LS6 intake and PCV valley...but, I need to know a few things first. :eek

I see how and where the new cooling line/block offs go. :thumbs

Anyone,

The PCV valley cover I have now has to wires that go into the center of two black "disks" down into the block. Are these now gone on the new cover? and if so, what happens to the wires and connetor at the fuel rail? If they stay, how is the new one so much better?

IMG_0047.jpg

AZP&S,

If I do this, how long will it take to get the valley cover and the new coolant lines?

same day on all parts, you can pick them up tomorrow :)

Far as the pieces... the two rubber boots are just covers for the knock sensors... carefully pull them back and you will see some plastic clips, CAREFULLY remove the clips as they may be brittle and crack... once those are off, use a 7/8 deep socket and remove the knock sensors just like you would bolts. At this point simply remove the cover. Now here is where it gets tricky... there is a possibility (50/50 chance) that you will need to trim part of the block off. Some blocks had this extra casting, some didnt. You will see right away where it is... its just aluminum so its easy to remove. Put rags in the camshaft oil holes and either use a hack saw, die grinder or jigsaw to cut through the piece of casting and remove it... from there out its just installed like it was removed!

So the sensors go back in then?

If so, what makes the new cover any better than the old one?

One other thing I forgot to ask, what about a gasket/seal. Does the new one come with one or is it re-useable?

I know it's a lot of Q's, but if I do this I want to make sure it's right. :thumbs

Guest AZ Power & Sound
So the sensors go back in then?

If so, what makes the new cover any better than the old one?

One other thing I forgot to ask, what about a gasket/seal. Does the new one come with one or is it re-useable?

I know it's a lot of Q's, but if I do this I want to make sure it's right. :thumbs

Its reusable... the difference in covers is the LS6 cover has a breather nipple on it that connects to the intake manifold for venting the crank case that cannot pick up oil, where as the LS1 cover does not and it gets its venting from the valve covers which pushes oil into the intake manifold.

Cool, thanks Mike. :thumbs

How late are you open on Fridays and if I cannot make it then, are you open on Saturday?

Whichever, I'll get there when I can.

Guest AZ Power & Sound

usually 7 or 8 on fridays... please let me or Chad know by 10 am if you want the parts so I can have them delivered!

If it weren't for the spring college bills for the girls (7K + ) I would have jumped on it..... :banghead

Yes, I will be coming by to pick up the cover plate and coolant parts. Just give me a call when they come in and I'll be in some time after 12:00 or Saturday if you're open (623-523-1073).

I had already made a deal with Tim on the manifold so anyone else who wants that, it should still be up for grabs...check with Mike.

I know Chad had wanted Tim's if I didn't.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
If it weren't for the spring college bills for the girls (7K + ) I would have jumped on it..... :banghead

Girls in college ehh? :devil