Sad day in the Corvette World tomorrow

Shakti Vette

new vette 62

In my opinion a corvette is not a muscle car. To me it is in a class by itself. When I was young I had a 66 and then a 67 Chevelle SS with a big block  and then a 69 Camaro with a big block. High school for the first 2 and then brought my son home from the hospital in the Camaro when he was born. 40+ years ago. Those 3 cars were muscle cars. I have a 65 vette with a big block and it moves out and drives well, unlike the Chevelle's or the Camaro. I think the biggest issue is where the motor sits farther behind the front wheels in the vettes. Maybe muscle cars are more straight line speed due to the fact the motor sits more over the front wheels. I used to have a 62 Corvette that rode terrible when you cruised it, but when you pushed it hard through the twist's it would straighten right out and I was amazed on how well it handled then.  I think the new vette will handle better than the old, whether they sell a lot we shall see. I did like the Camaro so well that I had to buy another 69 with a big block, still puts a smile on my face to drive it. 

Muscle cars have back seats (or they were designed to have them). 

Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghin,  Porsche, McLaren are sport or super cars. 

And the the mid engine Vette won’t handle better, just way different. There’s going to be a lot of them wrecked because it handles so different than the current layout with 50/50 weight distribution. 

3 hours ago, new vette 62 said:

55k not a bad price. 

Surprised for sure!

The images I saw of the convertible gives you no more sunlight then a targa roof removed. Bummer. I want to see what the interior spaces as well as the trunk space. It looks cramped.

joe@cpr.com

Looking forward to when we take delivery of ours. Had a deposit for an allocation for awhile now and should be able to spec it out next week. Excited to dive into it and get a leg up on them like we did on the c7. 

Hey Joe, are you going to be one of the super special people that gets a super special pass into tuning. 

It took HPTiners over a year and a half to crack the L5P  Duramax puter and GM says the C8 is even more secure  

of course licensed GM tuners will have to follow a strict set of rules to avoid

having their super secret tuning pass taken away. 

joe@cpr.com

There is no super special pass. Before hp tuners announced the zr1 was tunable with Dave steks. 3 had been tuned prior but over the air updates flashed them back to stock. 

This one will be difficult as it's a higher encryption and the over the air updates I'm sure are going to be more challenging to defeat. The pcm is the same e99 as the zr1 had so from that standpoint I'm willing to bank on it being tunable. If not oh well I'll still would have had extensively torn it down and figured out how it all works so we can service them in the future. 

I do plan on making an exhaust right away for it and a few other things I have in mind after seeing it. Once I get wind tuning is coming we will make a twin turbo setup, having seen the 3d models of the engine bay layout with the frame around it I have it all mapped out and it will utalize our proven air to water setups just packaged for this vehicle. 

Owning a 17 Duramax I followed the tuning saga pretty close and it was very dismal for a long time. Banks had access into the ECM but was working with GM to clean up the L5P for the military. 

Like I said it took HPTuners a long time to hack into it and even now it’s a small fortune to open one up. Then add the cost of tunes you want from the diesel tuners. 

Now think about what GM said about the new C8 architecture being even more secure and unhackable. I don’t think there’s going to be 1000hp Corvettes running around anytime soon. 

Of of course I’ve been known to be wrong before so .......

MidNiteFury01

I cannot wait for the C8.

I find it interesting though, many  discussions were had over the years and Corvette fans were excited about the prospect of a mid-engined Corvette that never came... C6, C7 and now there is one and people are displeased?? This even before they ever test drove one or even sat in one?

495 base HP, 470lb-ft., coil-over suspension, in a fantastic looking body right out of the box that will handle better than current models of the same trim, sign me up. Revolutionary for sure. You know how much aftermarket parts there are going to be?  People are going to tune the living hell out of these. Aftermarket always wins. I see twin turbo, Penske 8300 series coil-overs, aftermarket exhaust that sounds fantastic, and a slew of other stuff. 

Lose customers; doubt it. Attract new Corvette owners and increase market share so there can be even more Corvette drivers, you bet. Me; sell that go-fast V8 power and less econo-shit boxes I see running all over the place.

If you want purity, then the C6 was probably the last one to offer that driver feel & purity, or maybe the best; C5 ZO6. Even less safety nannies;  a 66 Mustang, 69 Camaro, 55 Bel-Aire like Harrison Ford drove in American Graffiti, the list goes on. They give you the pure driving experience. 

Times are changing, and the C8, IMHO is something to get really excited about!

but... I'll think I keep my C5 to beat on + a C8.

Corvette owners are like a bunch of farmers:  Bitch when it doesn't rain, then turn around and bitch when it rains (yes I can say that because I'm Nebraska farm kid before anyone gets their panties in a bunch)

A lot of the owner demographic skews older, therefore tradition will always be front and center in the conversation and when there is departure there will be grumbling.  Its a lot like when the C7 came out, oh the horrors of the tail lights, and now the tail light complaints again.  News flash: they'll never go back to round, the progression has happened.  Transmission debate: Real sport cars and manual transmissions even though its been proven that automatics are faster.  Even though we have the paddle shifters, that's not good enough unless you have to push a clutch in order to be a real driver.  It goes on and on

I'm probably more concerned about the cockpit layout in general.  I don't have much love the controls arrangement on the tunnel and the passenger compartment looks to have barely enough room for anyone of any size at all.  Overall, the cockpit looks cramped to me, only sitting in it will tell for sure.  The steering wheel: I'm not sure how that is going to work if you're doing a lot of twisty technical driving where you have to hand-over-hand on the wheel as you turn.  I wouldn't even try to imagine how you could work on or perform maintenance in that engine compartment, I'm sure without being able to put that car significantly in the air the DIY'ers are SOL

Now, minus those personal observations, I was really skeptical until the unveiling and then...….its really growing on me.  I kinda wanted to hate the thing, but I just don't.  I do think its a car that GM can market to younger demographic and it will have some appeal because it really is progressive.  To top it off, how can you even complain about that price point for that performance level?

• Upvote 1