Finally building (and tearing down) the 77

aenigma

13 hours ago, aenigma said:

Axle. 
I meant mine was an axle too lol, so a much less expensive fix but more time consuming. So Saturday is out darn it. 

So did you shear the axle at the spindle?

23 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

A real bummer Mo and feel your pain. I texted Lonnie last night hoping to hear great news and he said you broke, but I didn't know you guys were still at the track waiting for the truck when I sent the text. That sucks! Did it break/quit at launch?

On the C8 issues of being too low, don't they all have that front end raise to lift it up for bumps etc...? OR is that an option he didn't have? I can't believe GM would make it so it couldn't load on to a truck when broke on the road, but maybe they did. YIKES! Be aware for all the C8 owners out there.

If they roll them off a transporter I wouldn't think a rollback would be any steeper.  I doubt if local delivery to the dealers is through a double high trailer with those lifts that  eliminate the angle issue???

14 hours ago, aenigma said:

Axle. 
I meant mine was an axle too lol, so a much less expensive fix but more time consuming. So Saturday is out darn it. 

Did Lonnie not tell you to not break an axle?   😉

3 hours ago, JohnU said:

Did Lonnie not tell you to not break an axle?   😉

ha I guess it launched harder after the upgrades than we thought it would (which isn’t a sad issue at all). The axles were new.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:20 PM, aenigma said:

Axle. 

Too bad it wasn't a trans cooler line like Julies. Car on the road next day and repair expense was less than $10 since I already had extra hose.

2 hours ago, Extender32 said:

Too bad it wasn't a trans cooler line like Julies. Car on the road next day and repair expense was less than $10 since I already had extra hose.

no kidding! 
the spindles will be here tomorrow so I’m making race day on Saturday. Yea! 
Still way better than a transmission. I think they ended up $400 for both. 

AE7F069E-FE33-4626-8F09-0CC84FE319BB.jpeg

14 hours ago, aenigma said:

no kidding! 

oh snap!

19 hours ago, aenigma said:

no kidding! 

Too much power or driver error, or both.

I'm willing to bet that it really has to do with the cheap azz Chinese junk steel. I bet Lonnie will agree.  Put some good old Made in USA steel in there and that C3 is gonna be a rocket at launch.  GL Mo! :thumbs

With this launch that broke it...It WILL be a beast to reckon with. Hell Yeah Mo, kick some azz Saturday. Those wheels are destined to get some AIR. :burnout

IMG_0252.jpg

• Like 1

If there's voting to be done, mine is for improper heat treating and/or failure to radius deburr the machining transition, considering what little I can see of the fracture in the photo.

Now that it is all back together with Tom's spindles, it should work just fine. GL tomorrow at the races Mo! Give em hell.  :thumbs

5 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Now that it is all back together with Tom's spindles, it should work just fine. GL tomorrow at the races Mo! Give em hell.  :thumbs

thank you buccaneer! Lonnie worked his tail off all day yesterday installing toms. He’s awesome. It’s ready to go. 

hoxxoh, it’s aftermarket cheap metal. If you look within the spindle, it’s all twisted and bent throughout. That shouldn’t have happened with upgraded metal. Even stock metal wouldn’t have done that. 

They were obviously made incorrectly.  Weaker than stock, my mistake. These should be much better. 

4B291B3E-D96A-4504-AB17-08A119A0E6B0.jpeg

Getting there at 11.627. DA 4000

working on getting to 11.5 grrrr. I keep shifting too fast.  

57CC609A-A0BE-4445-919A-06A03B4D8F33.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

It finally hit under 11.5 tonight. Waited 5 1/2 hours for one run. Unfortunately it wasn’t me. I had a dirt bike accident last weekend so I can’t use both feet. Lonnie was happy to finally drag it. 

EC558DDA-130B-49DE-BD85-9176F35FF634.jpeg

6578BE40-8D1A-46E7-824D-62B9DCD2FEF7.jpeg

Sorry about the dirt bike mishap! 

Sounds like operator error happening.  Cars runs fine, just tune up the long haired driver!  😉

51 minutes ago, JohnU said:

Sorry about the dirt bike mishap! 

Sounds like operator error happening.  Cars runs fine, just tune up the long haired driver!  😉

Of course it is. Which is why I didn’t want him to drive it until last night since I couldn’t. He’s a great driver and I didn’t want to get crapped out knowing what I could do but haven’t yet. Surprisingly I was really happy he got what he did. He could’ve done better but wasn’t used to the shifting the way he set it up for me so he hit the rev limiter. His is different. I can’t wait to get back out there. 

17 hours ago, aenigma said:

It finally hit under 11.5 tonight. Waited 5 1/2 hours for one run. Unfortunately it wasn’t me. I had a dirt bike accident last weekend so I can’t use both feet. Lonnie was happy to finally drag it. 

EC558DDA-130B-49DE-BD85-9176F35FF634.jpeg

6578BE40-8D1A-46E7-824D-62B9DCD2FEF7.jpeg

Oh HELL YEAH! Nice time and 60'. It WILL go faster for sure. I wish Lonnie would have text me last night that you were going, I wasn't doing anything and may have gone. SUCKS, that they had WAY too many people there and you had to wait forever. Ugh!

• 1 month later...

Oops - I either need to slow down or add more safety equipment. Teched to 11.5.  Drag nights are kind of back! 

77526386-C9C6-4A7A-8FA5-4270A3F2E3B4.jpeg