NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Troubleshooting AC issue 2001 Z06

Peetyz

ACE,

Do any of you members have experience with checking the AC system on a C5 or perhaps have a good contact somewhere that won't charge and arm and a leg?

i have reset the actuators both in the dic and with the fuse method and checked a few other things. They appear to be working as does the dual climate controller. The temps will change but basically go from room temp set at 60 to 90 set on 90 (heat works great). Usually when it's an actuator only one side will fail and that side won't change temps. I'm pretty sure the compressor is kicking on but I can't completely tell to be honest which leads me to believe:

low on freon (possible leak?)

bad pressor sensor in the line?

compressor could be toast (makes no abnormal noises however and defrost seems to work) 

Any help is appreciated because as we know it will be getting warm soon. I am located in Scottsdale but will travel a bit if needed.

Thanks all!

-Pete 

Bromley's Corvettes

We do everything with A/C on all years of Corvettes :) 

Sounds to me like a blend door issue.  Could be an easy fix, or could be quite involved, depending on what the actual problem with the blend door is, and why neither is being commanded to the proper position.

But, it could also be low on refrigerant, or any other number of things.  The systems are relatively easy to diagnose.

No codes on the Dic under hvac. I hit reset and you will hear them open etc. I've even left ac on with car running and popped hood and didn't see any condensation etc. leads me to believe it's low on r134 and possible small leak. I can have system set to say 70 then turn the passenger knob to full hot and the passenger side will get much warmer. If I have it set on 70 then turn passenger knob to full cold it gets slightly cooler but not much. All these tests were were done when it was about 70 outside so it's basically room or outside air temp. I'm just really at a point where I don't have the tools and resources in my garage to further check anything else. 

Blend doors on 2001 & up are less problematic than previous years. I'd look at AC charge first. Symptoms you're describing are similar to others I've heard solved by adding Freon 

Bromley's Corvettes

It only takes a few min to put gauges on and check the presser.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

have it checked to see if its low on Freon. low Freon can cause the issue. If the Freon level is fine, its going to be a bad actuator. In the process of replacing mine right now.