NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Garage Door Opener Interference

Grape Ape

Speaking of RF interference.  I installed a new belt drive opener here with the phone remote control.  Worked like a charm... even I got the software installed.   I installed the same unit at home #2 and the homelinks in both cars would sometime work most of the time not.  Reinstalled software etc.  Turns out I needed a special Genie light bulb.  Works like a charm! 

I've always used these guys. Very fast response time and quality work. Plus the family is Husker related so we have a nice conversation while he's working.

20210302_094241.thumb.jpg.7e42b07b5f67ad294b37a5270fcf670d.jpg

Wow, a different light bulb interfered with your homelink? That's crazy.

1 hour ago, mrhusker said:

Wow, a different light bulb interfered with your homelink? That's crazy.

That's what I told my wife..... then she produced the written proof buried in the manual.  So after 2 calls to customer service and many days of frustration.... a simple, company specific, bulb cured it! 

I once had a problem that caused my garage door opener to intermittently function. None of the "expert" garage door people, nor the opener manufacturer had a clue what the problem was and why it was just intermittent. Part of the confusion was that the opener and both cars operated on the 315mz frequency. Even though I parked both cars way down the street, the hand held control and the outside button control had the same problem. The inside hard wired control was the only one guaranteed to always work. The only conclusion possible was RFI. Since APS had checked the transformer that feeds power to my house was fine, the problem had to be internal. So I turned off every breaker one at a time except the one for the opener, until I found the circuit where the opener always worked.

That circuit had a transformer for a neon display light that one of which failed enough to generate weak RFI. Simply unplugging the transformer cured the problem. The neon light no longer works, but the door opens.