NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Garage Door Opener Interference

Grape Ape

Hey y'all. I'm having a little issue with one of my garage door openers. It's a craftsman that's been installed about 5 years or so. Just recently it's been having an issue receiving the remote signal. Sometimes it will work and others it just refuses to see it. The last couple weeks it has got worse. Most of the time it won't open or close. I thought maybe I had something going last night. I changed the battery in the key pad on the outside frame and it started to at least see that. So I tried the remote in the Vette and it worked without any trouble. So I get home this morning and it didn't see the signal until I was right in front of the garage door. It use to open halfway down the street but not anymore. And now the key pad doesn't work again either. So I start to get pissed all over again. I've been reading some things on line about the interference it can get if something elelctrical has the same freqs. So I've been racking my brain to try and figure out what I've done lately that would do this but haven't found anything yet. I then read last night that it could be a neighbor causing it with somehting they've plugged in. If that's the case then I'm basically screwed until they have issues and figure it out. But I tried something a few minutes ago and the side that the truck is on works just fine. Close up, far away and half way down the street like the other one use to do. So my question is, could the receiver in the opener be going bad? Do you think a new, maybe different brand opener would do the trick? Sorry for the novel but thought you all would like as much info as possible. Something I don't always get at work from the pilots...I'm thinking about swapping the openers from side to side and see what that does on my next days off. Just to make sure it's not a location related kind of thing. Let me hear what cha'got? Anyone have this issue and have resolved it? I was going to put this in the "garage sale" area but it's not really a sale. But it is a garage related thing....hmmmm

Got the new garage door opener installed yesterday. Mounting it matched right up with the old mounts so that was easy. Works great and I LOVE the WiFi connection on it. I tried the APP about a mile away from home and when I got here the door was open. Niiiice... Only been a day but so far it's great. It's really quiet compared to the other one I have too.

Here's the video of what it's like.

Its the receiver, I have the Chamberlain who makes the Craftsman, and had the same issue basically.  Try unhinging the light cover in front of the receiver, crazy as it sounds it has limped by for nearly 2 years like this for me.  The receiver is 90 bucks plus shipping, you may as well get a new opener with a warranty for that money

Yeah, what ^^^ said.  There's usually a piece of wire that acts like the antenna for the receiver too. If you're lucky, maybe you find that it's frayed where it's soldered to the board, or detached.  Good luck!

Maybe try putting it in the "Learn Code" mode and maybe that will help. I've had issues with my opener too in the past and it always seems to be the the seeing eyes at the bottom of the tracks that cause the issue with my doors.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll check into things this weekend. I changed the batteries in the remotes and the keypad so I know they're good.

Thinking about one of these. If I get through Lowes or Home Depot I pay taxes. If I buy online I may or may not have to pay shipping. Which one would you all go with?

Chamberlain 1.25-HP Smartphone Controlled Wi-Fi Battery Backup Ultra Quiet Belt Drive Garage Door Opener

Chamberlain 1.25-HP Smartphone Controlled Wi-Fi Battery Backup Ultra Quiet Belt Drive Garage Door Opener - $228 + tax at Lowes.

Liftmaster 8155
btn_largerphoto.gif

Liftmaster 8155 myq Belt drive opener for 7-10 ft doors on sale for $199.

•  
Roll over image to zoom in

• Liftmaster 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener 

Liftmaster 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener

List Price: $367.01
Price: $290.00 & FREE Shipping

When mine finally dies I'm getting that smartphone unit. I can't tell you how often I fly out of the house, hit the road, then have to turn around to make sure the door is closed. Early onset Alzheimer's which I've been afflicted with for 20 years or so. :lol

Updated the first post with a little video of the one I installed.

Wifi now.....why not!

i need to upgrade an older pre 1997 Chamberlain with dipswitch code to the new rolling code technology.  I needed new remotes and purchased an ad-on for a home link interface for the visor buttons.  I thought I was quite the software dude until I was in the garage one day and the door went up by itself.   Yup, the neighbors remote was tripping mine and it explained the unexplained door openings.

JLs Mistress
On 4/24/2016 at 8:20 AM, mrhusker said:
Thinking about one of these. If I get through Lowes or Home Depot I pay taxes. If I buy online I may or may not have to pay shipping. Which one would you all go with?

Chamberlain 1.25-HP Smartphone Controlled Wi-Fi Battery Backup Ultra Quiet Belt Drive Garage Door Opener

Chamberlain 1.25-HP Smartphone Controlled Wi-Fi Battery Backup Ultra Quiet Belt Drive Garage Door Opener - $228 + tax at Lowes.

Liftmaster 8155
btn_largerphoto.gif

Liftmaster 8155 myq Belt drive opener for 7-10 ft doors on sale for $199.

•  
Roll over image to zoom in

• Liftmaster 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener 

Liftmaster 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener

List Price: $367.01
Price: $290.00 & FREE Shipping

Mine was doing the same thing . It was 25 years old so I replaced it  last Friday with the Chamberlain  Smartphone Controlled also replaced the bottom weatherstrip   and springs adjusted. Also serviced my other door and total was  375.00  for parts, labor and tax ...

10 hours ago, JLs Mistress said:

Mine was doing the same thing . It was 25 years old so I replaced it  last Friday with the Chamberlain  Smartphone Controlled also replaced the bottom weatherstrip   and springs adjusted. Also serviced my other door and total was  375.00  for parts, labor and tax ...

who did the work?

JLs Mistress

Integrity Garage Door   623-780-2687  If your Vette has the Car 2 U  on your visor you will need the Car 2U  Repeater kit... Seems Corvette is not using  Homelink ..... My 2008 worked my Grand Sport requires the Kit ...

Been almost a week now and the Chamberlain is working flawlessly. Like it a lot so far. No RF interference here....

tumblr_inline_mhvg4wDHnT1qz4rgp.gif

My automatic garage door opener is Julie. I make her get out of the car to open/close the door. No problem with interference.

• 4 years later...

I have used these guys several times with no issues. MasterCraft 480-264-0648. Installed two new openers as well. GL