NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Internet Speeds

Buccaneer

If you have COX, what speeds are you running? I was at 50 down and it was Ok, but now I have 300 down and its awesome. Online gaming is badass now. :)  BTW, it's $10 cheaper with the upgrade, go figure. When fiber gets here in the east valley, it will kick ass.

My fps in games is now 120-125, I have a GTX980 and ping hovers around 20-25. That is all.

this is my speed with cox. 

4858848570.png

yes, those numbers are correct. its fiber directly to my dmark point. 

it costs me $79.95 per ,month. 

call them if this is a new install. that is far too low for Cox Gigblast service. 

there are several Choke points when surfing the internet, wireless being one if them. 

Chad are referring to me? I noticed yours is three times as fast as what I am and I am on the gigblast. The test was done on my desktop.

thx.

Chad are referring to me? I noticed yours is three times as fast as what I am and I am on the gigblast. The test was done on my desktop.

thx.

yes. the gigblast should be 1000/1000 up down. 

the common choke points

-are you hardwired or wi fi? 

wifi only transmits at 150, 350, 1300 Mbps. but that's in a lab only. suggest you hard-wire.

-if this is a new install, call Cox to make sure you don't have any restrictions on your node.

I had an issue at first my speed was 50/10 until I removed my telephone from the account. then the system power cycled and I got 950/950 (good enough)

-the last choke point is your firewall/router. if you use the cox included device you should be at least in the 800/800 range. if not you will have to buy a premium device that is geared to 13 year old gamer children. 

thx.

yes. the gigblast should be 1000/1000 up down. 

the common choke points

-are you hardwired or wi fi?                                                                    Fiber box uses a cat 5 cable to a net gear router they supplied then a cat 5 cable goes to the desktop.

wifi only transmits at 150, 350, 1300 Mbps. but that's in a lab only. suggest you hard-wire.

-if this is a new install, call Cox to make sure you don't have any restrictions on your node.                                                                 New install but what is a node?

I had an issue at first my speed was 50/10 until I removed my telephone from the account. then the system power cycled and I got 950/950 (good enough)

-the last choke point is your firewall/router. if you use the cox included device you should be at least in the 800/800 range. if not you will have to buy a premium device that is geared to 13 year old gamer children.                           Yes Cox router.

could it be my desktop just doesn't have the speed capability? If so what do I check on it?

Thanks,

Steve

your network connections of your computer for your desktop speed capability. 

most computers made in the past 5 years use a 1Gb card, also called a 10/100/1000 network card. 

it sounds like you should be faster than 100/100 Mb.

do you have a 13 year old child/cousin/nephew that you could enlist to assist? 

Thanks Chad, I'll have my son look at it or get in touch with Cox. I'm just happy that you posted your speed. I thought I was doing pretty good until I saw yours. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Steve

Not on Cox's fastest service anymore due to cost.

I dont game anymore, wish I had time too though

[4861973861.png

I have Cox Fiber and I'm getting 96.27 Download and 95.56 Upload. That was early in the morning with only me on the internet. 4859117589.png

I was gonna say if you are only getting 96 down with fiber, you have a serious issue. You should be getting what Chad is getting or there a bouts. They DO NOT have Gigablast in Gilbert yet, but I am waiting. The best I've seen is 330 down, but for some reason going through my Hp 48 port GB switch, it knocks it down to 100 down. If I go directly from modem Arris SB6183 to router, it's 300+ down hardwired and 260 down WiFi. Haven't figured that one out yet. Since its a little older switch 09 model, I'm going to try a x-over cable and see if that helps vs. auto negotiate.

My speeds slowed down so I unplugged the power to my modem and plugged it back in. Then I went outside into the natural lighting and the fresh air. It does a body good

My speeds slowed down so I unplugged the power to my modem and plugged it back in. Then I went outside into the natural lighting and the fresh air. It does a body good

I need to try that, maybe it will work? :thumbs

I have Cox Fiber and I'm getting 96.27 Download and 95.56 Upload. That was early in the morning with only me on the internet. 4859117589.png

I was gonna say if you are only getting 96 down with fiber, you have a serious issue. You should be getting what Chad is getting or there a bouts. They DO NOT have Gigablast in Gilbert yet, but I am waiting. The best I've seen is 330 down, but for some reason going through my Hp 48 port GB switch, it knocks it down to 100 down. If I go directly from modem Arris SB6183 to router, it's 300+ down hardwired and 260 down WiFi. Haven't figured that one out yet. Since its a little older switch 09 model, I'm going to try a x-over cable and see if that helps vs. auto negotiate.

Its not uncommon to still have new 48 or 24 port switches sold that will only support 10/100 speeds.  I have seen it in industrial and come commercial. 

the x-over has no relevant on the set negotiated link speed. 

Checked the hardware and yes I only have a 10/100. Going to go buy a 10/100/1000 next week after all the people are done doing the holiday shopping. 

Thanks Chad and Buccaneer. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 

Please just read my tag line.

9 more posts and you can edit it yourself. I think....

I kinda like it Ted and another 8 posts I turn into a post whore.