NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

A&A belt issues

ascastil

Hello everyone. Been silent since I signed up, heres my first post. Ive got some issues with my belt walking on my 2004 C5. My belt shredded on both sides, and I believe thats what took out my a/c belt and ruined the ribbed idler pulley. The belt was old so Im sure it needed replacing, so I got a new belt and idler pulley. As soon as I got them on and started it, the belt walked right up that ribbed pulley again. Took it apart again and saw the tensioner pulley looks worn down on the inside where the belt had started walking from before. Im going to see if I can get the part number from A&A for that, as the factory one is ribbed, this one is smooth. 

While its running, the balancer has no wobble when looking at it from one side of the car, but from the other side for some reason, it looks to have a LITTLE wobble. If the tensioner pulley doesnt fix this problem, Im going to get a Powerbond balancer. I dont have the funds for an ATI. Im thinking while I have the rack out Ill send it in to be rebuilt, its got a small leak.

Anyone know what part number the smooth tensioner pulley is on the A&A kit?

The Powerbond balancer is keyed. Do I still need to repin the crank or does the crank have a spot to put a key in there? Seems that would be easiest.

Is there anyone in town that rebuilds C5 rack and pinions?  Local would be better than shipping it out.

If that's still the oem balancer more than likely that's at least part of the issue. Reach down and run a finger over the front lip and see if its delaminated (kinda will give the appearance of paint peeling off the front of it. If its delaminated its done 

Get an alignment done on the belts.

Factory crank is not keyed. You will have to redrill 180 or try to align and drill again. 

Well I put it together one more time. I flipped that smooth pulley around to see if the belt would walk the other way, it didnt. Now, from the passenger side the belt is moving all over the place, in sync with the balancer moving. It didnt look that bad from the driver side. 

Heres my plan:

Powerbond balancer, ARP crank bolt, crank pin kit from A&A, replace smooth pulley on tensioner, rack and pinion rebuild from Turn One. 

I am really bummed because my brother in law is painting my flared fenders this week. I was going to put them on this coming weekend along with C6 Spyder wheels. Thatll be on hold for a few weeks.

I have them man, also do not I repeat do not run a crap powerbond on a blower car. It's fine na but on a boosted car there has been reports of chains getting pins pushed out. If you can't afford an innovators west, we sell them for $550 than get an oem. Don't cheap out on this man. 

I was thinking of getting an oem one but figured a powerbond would be better. Thanks for the heads up Joe. Guess Ill get an oem and hope it lasts a while. I probably couldve afforded an innovators a few weeks ago but gave my brother money for paint. Gotta get those wide fenders on. Wasnt expecting this.

Wasnt expecting this.

YOU NEVER DO! 

BUT YOU SHOULD. 

BE PREPAIRED FOR THE NEXT SOMETHING ELSE 

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE DECIDED TO MOD YOUR DRIVE TRAIN. 

JUST MY EXPERIANCE............

SLAMMER

If a random $550 expense isn't doable, may want to rethink modding a vette. 

Look for a used IW crank pulley. You can find them used <$300 all the time. 

Sorry, didnt mean to make it seem like im poor. Ill be ok, thanks. Ive got enough food to make it through this week at least. One day at a time.....

We weren't worried about you being able to eat or not. It's getting the Vette fixed that's more important. 

BTW, welcome to :ACE:

Yea, plenty of food in the dumpsters... you don't see good vette parts in there thought. Eat hardy my friend and welcome to this place!

:burnout:ACE:

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Ive had the car supercharged for almost 2 years. Ive put on a Mantic clutch and Walbro 450. I dont drive it hard and this has been the only thing Ive had go wrong so its been reliable. One day when the block lets go Ill get a forged block with all the bells and whistles. I even plan on going with a cam, smaller pulley, and E85. Until then, Ill just repair it and carry on. 

E85 is a big PASS in my book. 

I've watched a few owners go that direction. Only to return to premium gasoline. 

SLAMMER

Ehh, Ill take E85 over meth. One less pump to worry about. All the guys Ive talked to seem to be happy with it. Maybe its a preference, they both have pros and cons.

No reason to only have one. Run both.

I'm swapping to e85 now, or flex fuel to be accurate. No reason not to run it if it is available at a station.

I've had to change one meth pump in 6 years. Easy job and pump was less than $150.  Methenal is easy to get and store. E85 stations are not prevalent enough to travel freely. (With out some planning) if you run out of meth on a trip as long as you dont push beyond normal acceleration you don't use any methanol. 

In other words you can get by with out having a supply of methanol available if you had to.  Much more easily than an E85 system. 

SLAMMER

I cant argue you have had good reliability with your pump, I believe it. Alkycontrol has the best kit out there. I have an E85 station a mile from my house, I dont take my car on road trips. I already have an E85 compatible pump. Besides convenience, or inconvenience in your case, does it matter? We are all aiming for some timing, just a matter of how we get it.

Well, car is up on 4 jackstands, blower is out (I have gotten real good at that!), radiator and fans are out, front wheels are off. Ill start digging deeper a little bit at a time after work this week on the rack, sway bar, PS pump, etc. 

I have the rear end up so I can do the ARP wheel studs in the back for the 19X12 wheels. 

I can only look forward to when its running again. New belt, balancer, pulleys, rebuilt rack, fresh painted fenders, 19X12/18X9.5, Nitto Invos, C6 Spyders. Just a few more weeks.

we like pictures, post them of your progress please. 

yep. That's exactly what I was going to say :thumbs  

With flex fuel, e85 not being available is not an issue at all.

Alky control says to rebuild pump once a year.

With flex fuel, e85 not being available is not an issue at all.

Alky control says to rebuild pump once a year.

I think once a year is unnecessary. 

Mattress Firm say to replace your mattress every 8 years!!!

And I think you should replace your water heater every 9 years. 

SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO...........

I subscribe to the RAN theory. 

Replace As Needed

Enough Said,

SLAMMER

E85 is great and WILL make more midrange than pump and meth flat out. Listen to the guy's who build this stuff daily and make a lot of power... and reliably! 

I put much more weight on the words of someone who has no dog in the fight!!

no conflict of intrest. I am basing my words on my experience with nothing to sell and no agenda to push. 

I don't care if you run E85, gasoline, diesel, hydrogen or corn whiskey  from your backyard still. 

It makes no difference to me. 

SLAMMER