NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Where Would You Start Modding On A Budget

TEXAZC6

Guest Steve Mulvey
Wow, those are some pretty good numbers for just CAI and catback. Nic's the man! :thumbs

What were your base numbers, if you don't mind me asking?

You should read the article I posted. The cam is $417- and makes 92 hp. That has got to be the all time bargain for a noticable increase in power... what can I say you go from about 8.5 lbs/hp to about 6.8.. man , you have got to feel that... :thumbs I'll bet the catback exhaust was more than 400 buckaroos.

Even with all the gaskets and stuff, it is still going to be less than $600- I spent $20K on my Mustang to get an extra 250 hp.. I should have bought a Corvette crate motor and a cam for my 64.. I would have been ahead about $14k and had 500 hp....

Steve

Wow, those are some pretty good numbers for just CAI and catback. Nic's the man! :thumbs

320 rwhp stock, 342.8 rwhp after mods. & tune. This is automatic transmission equipped so with manual it would be more, but I am very happy with results...Joe P.S. Nic is the man!

Guest UVETTYA

You should read the article I posted. The cam is $417- and makes 92 hp. That has got to be the all time bargain for a noticable increase in power... what can I say you go from about 8.5 lbs/hp to about 6.8.. man , you have got to feel that... :thumbs I'll bet the catback exhaust was more than 400 buckaroos.

Even with all the gaskets and stuff, it is still going to be less than $600- I spent $20K on my Mustang to get an extra 250 hp.. I should have bought a Corvette crate motor and a cam for my 64.. I would have been ahead about $14k and had 500 hp....

Steve

I haven't seen the article. Can you point me to it?

And Steve, are you saying I can do a cam myself for only $600? :eek:eek:eek I've been hearing around $2K for a shop to do one. If I could do one for $600 it would be in there like - now.

I've done a lot of mechanic work myself, and even rebuilt an engine or two, but that was 40 yrs ago. I would certainly tackle my own cam swap if I had someone with lots of experience helping - but that would be the key - lots of experience. If anyone's actually done a cam swap on an LS6, that's the guy I would need to help me. I know how this stuff goes sometimes and you can get yourself out on a limb. I don't want to have to pay MORE for a shop to straighten out my screw-up. Been there done that. :bang

Guest UVETTYA

320 rwhp stock, 342.8 rwhp after mods. & tune. This is automatic transmission equipped so with manual it would be more, but I am very happy with results...Joe P.S. Nic is the man!

Yep, there's some room there. Headers and another tune will probably add 15 - 20 rwhp. :thumbs

No expert, actually never done a cam swap, but would be there to help. :bang I'm hoping to do mine in the next year or so (once the wife's paychecks start rolling in that is). From what I understand it's not too difficult.

C'mon guys, lets get together and put a cam in. Who has the experience? :D