NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Where Would You Start Modding On A Budget

TEXAZC6

Unfortunately, I have to mod my C6 piecemeal and only have about 2k to spend.

That being said, would you:

1. get an intake and exhaust and save the rest for a rainy day or,

2. Get headers, intake, and a tune and leave the stock exhaust

Which one and why, or what other options?

:cheers

Headers, hi-flow converters, & tune. From what I've been told by people who have done this already an air intake & cat-back dont do much on a c-6. The headers, conv., & tune are worth at least 30hp on a c-6, with little addit. gains from the air intake and exhaust. Although every addit. hp is good, the headers do the most and should be done first and conv. have to come out to do the headers so its cheaper (labor-wise) to do them at the same time. Hope this helps...Joe

Guest UVETTYA

:withstupid The stock exhaust flows pretty good. Most people swap it out for sound, although you will pick up a few HP if you remove the cats altogether.

CAI and catback might give you an additional 5 or so HP. Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd go with long tube headers, X-pipe and high flow cats. That will bolt right up to your stock catback and you'll still be street legal and your exhaust won't stink. You should pick up 20 to 30 HP with a tune, depending on your base numbers. The higher your base numbers the lower your gains will be. Seems like these engines top out around 385HP or so to the rear wheels with headers and tune.

pick what you want to do to add power, then buy your parts around that. If you want a supercharger, then headers will be a good addition, as they will compliment the supercharger when you get one. If you want to go turbo, then dont waste your money on the headers and save your money. To hang the turbo chargers you will need new headers that will come with your kit.

Guest Chad@AZPS

We just did a C6 with headers, cats, intake, tune, and stock mufflers. The car picked up about 30-40 rwhp. This was done after 3 runs on the dyno.

Chad

on a c5 the best bang for the buck is a DTE rearend.

while the HP may be the same, but the WHOPPPIEEEEE factor is alot more.

2 cts

chad

Guest Sidewinder

Regardless of what these other "guru's" say, this is what I would get. I have the wing on order as we speak. This is just me, you can get headers and other supposed "power adders" but you will not get gains anywhere near a ported Folgers can.

My $0.02

:crazy

post-113-1161119510.jpg

post-113-1161119994.jpg

Guest Steve Mulvey

:crazy Pay no attention to these guys..

I know what I would do and it is a two step process!

First , read this:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/...ests/index.html

Then, buy this:

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1477

And have a event at your house where the Ace Aces (Ace Squared? :confused ) gang helps you put it in the car...

Finally :3gears::thumbs :laugh:

IMHO this is the performance bargain of all time, $4.55 per hp... :yesnod

Steve (the guy who is thinking an LS2 might fit in a C2)

#1 question to ask yourself before you start!!

What is my objective??

What level of performance do I want to end up with and why??

The second question should be "Why is stock not good enough"?

The car is already fast, is it the sound or do you need to be planted back in the seat??

Do you want to drag race or run the twisties?

That changes direction from motor to suspension/wheels and tires!

Believe me!!

This chase is a MONEY PIT!!

If you don't have an objective and you are modding just because everyone else is, double the $$ pissed away!!

My.02

Ken

We just did a C6 with headers, cats, intake, tune, and stock mufflers. The car picked up about 30-40 rwhp. This was done after 3 runs on the dyno.

Chad

Cost with the new member, never purchased there before, discount? (Minus the CAI, already got that)

#1 question to ask yourself before you start!!

What is my objective??

What level of performance do I want to end up with and why??

The second question should be "Why is stock not good enough"?

The car is already fast, is it the sound or do you need to be planted back in the seat??

Do you want to drag race or run the twisties?

That changes direction from motor to suspension/wheels and tires!

Believe me!!

This chase is a MONEY PIT!!

If you don't have an objective and you are modding just because everyone else is, double the $$ pissed away!!

My.02

Ken

My two complaints, and they are a testament to how well GM built the car, is that it doesn't sound like a sports car and it doesn't FEEL fast.

I know the car is fast but it is so smooth and so quiet that it was a bit of a dissapointment. I don't know what I was expecting but.....

I do not expect to do a whole lot more, even down the road.

Regardless of what these other "guru's" say, this is what I would get. I have the wing on order as we speak. This is just me, you can get headers and other supposed "power adders" but you will not get gains anywhere near a ported Folgers can.

My $0.02

Oh come on now...

I'm not even a C3 guy and I know not to waste money for a C5 on exhaust, catbacks, headers, cams, a tune, and as impressive as the wing's and fart cans are, nothing will increase the HP of a C5 like the floor mat upgrade.

From what I hear, they make all the difference

:leaving

Guest Sidewinder

:smilelol:smilelol

On a more serious note, sometimes a sweet sounding exhaust note will bring the "feel fast" to life. Stock exhaust at 6500 rpm's or B&B Bullets at 6500rpm's. An aftermarket intake with filter will help the car rev a little faster and may change the exhaust note a little(for the better).

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c6/

:smilelol:smilelol

On a more serious note, sometimes a sweet sounding exhaust note will bring the "feel fast" to life. Stock exhaust at 6500 rpm's or B&B Bullets at 6500rpm's. An aftermarket intake with filter will help the car rev a little faster and may change the exhaust note a little(for the better).

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c6/

:withstupid I did Borla Stingers and then the Blackwing. If I had it to do over I would reverse that.

:crazy Pay no attention to these guys..

I know what I would do and it is a two step process!

First , read this:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/...ests/index.html

Then, buy this:

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=1477

And have a event at your house where the Ace Aces (Ace Squared? :confused ) gang helps you put it in the car...

Finally :3gears::thumbs :laugh:

IMHO this is the performance bargain of all time, $4.55 per hp... :yesnod

Steve (the guy who is thinking an LS2 might fit in a C2)

Thanks for the links Steve, this sounds like the best bang for the buck.

Any idea how invovled swapping a cam can be? Anyone out there done this before? Can it be completed in a day?

Thanks again :burnout

Guest Steve Mulvey

Any idea how invovled swapping a cam can be? Anyone out there done this before? Can it be completed in a day?

It could be perhaps be completed in a day, I am not sure. It depends upon how far back from the front of the car the engine sits so that it can stay in the car. There are a pile of things that need to come off, the radiator, water pump and front cover to name a few. You take off the head and intake so you can get the valve train out of the way. You need all of the gaskets, for reassembly and I think you may find that this is a little tough on the warranty...

Does anyone have a feel for the DoD (Degree of Difficulty) involved on an LSx engine? The Russian judge gave this cam a 9.9 for style.....

Steve

Hey Phil, what happened? I thought you said in Laughlin that there were no plans for mods. My my looks like that mod bug is starting to nip at the ole wallet! Glad to see you are a little ill!!! :lol:bang

Hey Phil, what happened? I thought you said in Laughlin that there were no plans for mods. My my looks like that mod bug is starting to nip at the ole wallet! Glad to see you are a little ill!!! :lol:bang

That is why the cam is a great solution, the wife will never know. :toetap

Then again, that is also why it needs to be done in one day, she might get a little wise if the car is gone and I am home :huh

Might need to call in the pros for this so that there are no hiccups. Plus, I would need to rely on someone else hosting the Wrenching party to work on my car. That might be asking a bit much.

I'm in for helping with the wrenching part anyway. I want to do this to mine some day, but I will change the heads at the same time, possibly intake as well.

I'm not a certified mechanic by any stretch, but am pretty handy with the wrench.

Guest Steve Mulvey
I'm in for helping with the wrenching part anyway. I want to do this to mine some day, but I will change the heads at the same time, possibly intake as well.

I'm not a certified mechanic by any stretch, but am pretty handy with the wrench.

Might need to call in the pros for this so that there are no hiccups. Plus, I would need to rely on someone else hosting the Wrenching party to work on my car. That might be asking a bit much.

I have a nice selection of tools with the exception of a degree wheel and I have a giant garage.. pick a weekend in November so we are not too hot and we can use the stable at my palazzo...

Steve

I just got some bolt-ons done to the wifes C-6, and thought I would post the dyno #'s as there has been some recent discussion on the effects of these mods. on a stock C-6. Keep in mind that we did these mods. for sound alone (the old lady wanted it to sound more like my car) and were not expecting any worthwhile gains. The Corsa Touring cat-back exhaust and the Halltech Stinger combined gave an addit. 9.5 hp. to the wheels. Then a dyno-tune by Nic, done at Xtreme, gave an addit. 13.3 hp. to the wheels for a combined total of 22.8 addit. hp. to the wheels. Not bad for minor bolt-ons, but for the same price as the Corsa Touring & the Halltech Stinger combined I could've done headers and gotten even more hp. I'm sure the mod. bug has bitten the wife now so those are soon to come, I hope. Anyway I was surprised and very happy with the results of the mods. Even more happy with Nics tune than the actual mods. though. See Ya...Joe

Guest UVETTYA

Wow, those are some pretty good numbers for just CAI and catback. Nic's the man! :thumbs

What were your base numbers, if you don't mind me asking?