NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

What Would It Take.....

ChadC

yes she was a big block.

but can a LS1 engine sound like that ( or like the Mustang in Steve's video)?

..serious question. Is it possible?

I agree in part with Phil. A cam and aftermarket exhaust will make an LS1 sound great but I don't think you'll ever make a LS1 sound like a big block.

Guest Steve Mulvey

My Mustang is a 302... I had a single chamber flowmaster and 3 inch pipe on a 1LE LT1 Camaro and it sounded like a TransAm 310 when you wound it up. I am an expert on irritating the neighbours and race mufflers are the hot ticket :thumbs . You work nearby my house (at least you have an office near here) Give me a call and I will bring the Mustang over so you can hear it firsthand, the video makes the fuel pump sound like a dentist's drill... it isn't quite as loud as that.. 602-228-3911

steve

Guest UVETTYA
I agree in part with Phil. A cam and aftermarket exhaust will make an LS1 sound great but I don't think you'll ever make a LS1 sound like a big block.

:withstupid You won't make anything sound like a big block - there's just no way to fake a long stroke and big pistons. ;)

:withstupid You won't make anything sound like a big block - there's just no way to fake a long stroke and big pistons. ;)

what about a ls1 that is 402 CI?

or a ls7 427ci?

can it be done?

Guest UVETTYA

or a ls7 427ci?

can it be done?

I don't think so but that's just my opinion. I'm not an authority. :huh

The LS7 is a small block 427. The 402 is a small block engine too and I just don't think you're going to get that sound from a small block no matter what you do to the exhaust. You might get close but I think you would still be able to tell the difference. Maybe one of the tuners will check in - they might know.

or a ls7 427ci?

can it be done?

I don't think so but that's just my opinion. I'm not an authority. :huh

The LS7 is a small block 427. The 402 is a small block engine too and I just don't think you're going to get that sound from a small block no matter what you do to the exhaust. You might get close but I think you would still be able to tell the difference. Maybe one of the tuners will check in - they might know.

:withstupid A small block is a small block and you won't change that. The sound is definitely different.

Can't do it with an LS gen IV and still make HP!

My '96 LT-4 with a chambered exhaust came REALLY close!!

No X/H pipe but really choked exhaust flow over 4K rpm!!

The X/H pipe smooths the flow and makes HP but you lose the 60's sound!!

I wish I had a vid of the '96!! SWEET sound!!

Ken

The biggest reason why it won't sound like a BBC, is the firing order. These New LSX engines do have an unique sound to them. It actually took me a while to get used to it as I have been playing with Chevs for almost 30 years now. It just didn't sound "Right" to me. Actually that was the 1st thing I noticed when the LS1 came out as I always had built up SB and BB Chevys.

I think it is possible to get a BBC to sound like an LSX engine. For instance a BBC with a 4&7 swap cam sounds a lot like an LSX engine to me.

Rings a bell, but I believe I heard Flowmaster has a C5 exhaust that gives it a rumble similar to the sound you may be looking for. Seems that those that purchased Flowmasters, soon were getting rid of them because of to much rumble. Maybe something to do with the drone in auto's.

Ask a wider audience in C5 Gen section :thumbs

Guest Steve Mulvey
Rings a bell, but I believe I heard Flowmaster has a C5 exhaust that gives it a rumble similar to the sound you may be looking for. Seems that those that purchased Flowmasters, soon were getting rid of them because of to much rumble. Maybe something to do with the drone in auto's.

Ask a wider audience in C5 Gen section :thumbs

Flowmasters resonate with an irritating sound at 1800-2200 RPM which is almost always the speed limit no matter where you are... The single chambers don't do that :thumbs

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/race.html

Trust me, one of my neighbour actually moved away because of my cars when I lived in Cali... :yesnod

Check out this outrageous page! Way too cool..

http://exhaustsoundclips.com/phpbb2/dload....y&cat_id=31

The sound comes from the 'straight pipe' exhaust of the pre X/H pipe era!!

The old firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 was changed to 1-8-6-5-4-3-7-2 to take advantage of scavaging with the H/X pipe!!

"Back in the days" to get our exotic sound you needed to get 180 degree headers to produce the same effect!!

Remove the X pipe and go straight back and you will be amazed at the difference in the sound!!

Ken

The old firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 was changed to 1-8-6-5-4-3-7-2 to take advantage of scavaging with the H/X pipe!!

"Back in the days" to get our exotic sound you needed to get 180 degree headers to produce the same effect!!

Remove the X pipe and go straight back and you will be amazed at the difference in the sound!!

Ken

:huh Shi-ite, I'm confused. Ken, I'm about to put long tubes, hi-flo cats, and an x-pipe on with my already awesome B&B bullets. What you're saying is the car will sound better with no x-pipe? So the x-pipe just helps with exhaust scavaging and killing "highway" drone? Which way gives more hp, and how much more? If its not that much hp difference then, well....I know its more 'show than go' but I'd rather have it sound super-badass than just badass, ya know? :devil I too know and enjoy the look of peeved neighbors when I play with my toys in the cul-de-sac. It's become kind of a competition between me, the idiot with the 4x4 golf cart, and the punk with the Yamaha 4-stroke dirtbike. :lol

Thanks for any advice! - Dean

It isn't gonna happen, but a nice SBC sounds meaner than a big block if done right. A Mustang 5.0 with an E303 cam sounds nice and mean with no cats. If you really want big block sound, put a big block in it which really may not be feasible.

Guest Steve Mulvey
It isn't gonna happen, but a nice SBC sounds meaner than a big block if done right. A Mustang 5.0 with an E303 cam sounds nice and mean with no cats. If you really want big block sound, put a big block in it which really may not be feasible.

Mustang 302 E303 cam see above :agree

Ken

:huh Shi-ite, I'm confused. Ken, I'm about to put long tubes, hi-flo cats, and an x-pipe on with my already awesome B&B bullets. What you're saying is the car will sound better with no x-pipe? So the x-pipe just helps with exhaust scavaging and killing "highway" drone? Which way gives more hp, and how much more? If its not that much hp difference then, well....I know its more 'show than go' but I'd rather have it sound super-badass than just badass, ya know? :devil I too know and enjoy the look of peeved neighbors when I play with my toys in the cul-de-sac. It's become kind of a competition between me, the idiot with the 4x4 golf cart, and the punk with the Yamaha 4-stroke dirtbike. :lol

Thanks for any advice! - Dean

Hey Dean we can fix that....when I get the engine done in the truck, I'll load up my LTR450 with the uncorked exhaust and I'll rev them both :devil:devil Your the one that has to live there :lol:lol Then I'll come back to my nice quiet neighborhood :thumbs

Hell, I just wanna know if I should leave off the x-pipe! Would it sound THAT much better? Anybody with straight pipes?

You can come over and rev that shit anytime, bro'. Its not like I'm losing though....between the truck, vette, and bike - I've got the best sounding garage on the block! :devil