NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Column Lock Got Me Again!!!!!!!!

Guest XLR8TNC5

Guest XLR8TNC5

Bigfoot,

Call the dealer, give them your vin. They can put it in their little computer there and tell you if it has been done or not. You can also put your into the Carfax site (or ask someone who has a paid subscription to do it for you and that will tell you as well.) And no, I don't have a paid subscription. However, there are several who do on Corvette Forum. Talk to SpongeVette.

Lata,

Tanya

Not worrying, just curious.

It's never locked, ignition on or off. Didn't know about going to the dealer to check recall status.

Thanks.

Guest Chad@AZPS

The column lock is for manual cars only. The automatic must have the key in and the brake pedal pressed in order for the car to roll. Anybody can get in a manual car and have the car in netrual to move it. But if the steering wheel is locked the car rolls in a non controlled direction.

Many people have had the dash apart and removed the pin from the locking mechanism. Then there is no tow or problem with tuned cars. There is also a clumn lock bypass that can be installed that will trick the computer into thinking that it is working correctly. But if the lock is engaged then there is a little work to get the pin to release.

Chad

Guest Sidewinder
The column lock is for manual cars only. The automatic must have the key in and the brake pedal pressed in order for the car to roll. Anybody can get in a manual car and have the car in netrual to move it. But if the steering wheel is locked the car rolls in a non controlled direction.

Many people have had the dash apart and removed the pin from the locking mechanism. Then there is no tow or problem with tuned cars. There is also a clumn lock bypass that can be installed that will trick the computer into thinking that it is working correctly. But if the lock is engaged then there is a little work to get the pin to release.

Chad

Waay ahead of ya Chad :thumbs

The column lock is for manual cars only.

Chad

Hmmm, CF says this on autos:

-GM installed a Steering Column Lock mechanism on all 1997 - 2004 manual (MN6) cars and on 1997 to 2000 automatic (A4) cars

-It can happen to you if you have a pre-2001 A4 without the recall or CLB installed OR any year MN6 or Z06 car without a CLB installed. Age or mileage makes no difference.

Sean,

If yours is auto, then without the key in, the steering wheel should spin free. if it's still locked then you need to have it taken care of...

Sean,

If yours is auto, then without the key in, the steering wheel should spin free. if it's still locked then you need to have it taken care of...

Dwayne, mine is not locked. I was just curious if it's something I needed to worry about. As long as I have had the car the column does not lock at all. So I was asking if that is an indication that mine has already been "fixed" or not.

Guest UVETTYA

Yeah, I'm wondering about mine too. I've had "a" recall done on mine, in '04 but I still hear the BZZZZT sound when I turn on the key. Does this mean it can still get stuck? Do I need to buy the CLB?

And Tanya, what's going on with yours now. Did you get it fixed yet?

Mine does the Bzzzzt sound too, but the ring has been removed so there's nothing for it to Bzzzzt into.

Maybe you guys should check in at your local cheby dealership and run the vin to see whats been done.

I haven't been around for a few weeks, I've been in Portland on business so I missed something I'm sure.

Anyway, I had this problem and at the time my car had the latest recall completed.

I got the CLB from some Vette shop in Houston and used the sticky post on CF because it told me how to un-install the recall and I installed the CLB.

Yes... you can install the CLB even when your car thinks its locked, that's not a problem.

The entire job only took my about 90 minutes because I'm slow...

I have to return to Portland Sunday and I'll be there for the rest of the month but if the car is not your daily driver, I'll install the CLB for you in November when I return to AZ.

If you decide to do it yourself, I have a photo of the jumper on the K-harness relay because it didn't seem all that obvious to me so I figured other people may have the same question mark when reading the instructions from CF.

BTW, this thread has all of the information you could possibly need. I fixed mine 100% with the information in this post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015483

Good luck.

Thomas

Guest Sidewinder

Car is still in the garage. I am waiting to hear back from Nic to see when he can be available to reflash my tuning back into the car. I was hoping to have him meet me at the dealership so I don't have to drive the car to Tempe in that condition. I know it would drive, but "the idle" would be a problem. And if I am stuck in traffic or stoplights, I am not going to be a happy camper trying to restart the car and keep it idling or whatever the frick it does when it has a big cam and is tuned for STOCK. lol.....

Anyway, Ill keep you all posted. But I gotta get this done soon, this is cutting into my track season time! That and as of today, I have not been able to drive the car for a month. Not due to Column lock,. that has just been a few weeks, but even before that. I MISS MY DRIVES!!!

T

How the hell do i keep posting under Mark's login. Damn him!

Hmmm, I get no bzzzzt, nadda. It's like nothing is even in there for a column lock. Guess I'll have a stealership run my vin.

Good luck getting yours back Mark...I mean Tanya. :smilelol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest XLR8TNC5

Mark ordered me the CLB a few days ago, should be here soon. We will see what happens when we install it and I will let you all know how it goes. If it doesn't work, we will install it on Mark's Z06. And I will have to take mine to the Stealership. AAAGH!

Man, two months is a long ass time not to be able to ROLL in your pride and joy! AAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Its clean though! lol....

Guest UVETTYA

Geeze Tanya, you may need counseling if it goes much longer. :eek At least Mark lets you drive his once in awhile.

Mind if I ask how much the CLB is?

Guest XLR8TNC5

Yeah, if Mark didn't let me drive his from time to time, I would need counseling!!! lol. :crazy

I think Mark said he paid $56 for the CLB. Hopefully, it will get here today or tomorrow.

Yeah, if Mark didn't let me drive his from time to time, I would need counseling!!! lol. :crazy

We've all seen you drive. I'm not sure you don't need counsel anyway??? Tanya and the term "crazy lady" often go hand in hand :lol:lol