NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Column Lock Got Me Again!!!!!!!!

Guest XLR8TNC5

Guest XLR8TNC5

ALrighty, this sucks, car isn't going anywhere but to the dealer now. For the THIRD FN time to have the Column lock fixed. It was fixed TWICE before I got it. Well lastnight, it got me a third time and it will NOT come undone. Mark spent two hours lastnight working on it and it is not going away.

I am really worried about the consequences and detrimental effects it will have on my tune when I take it to the dealer to have it "fixed" again. Not only will I have to pay for towing, but now, if everything I read is correct, I will have to pay for another tune, dyno, etc.... My car is dialed in PERFECTLY right now and I am not a happy camper about this.

Anyone have any ideas?

I will keep you all posted. I did send an email to the "tuning" God, Nic to get some feedback from him to see what he has to say about retuning the car. This just sucks!

Lata all,

:agree

You should be able to save the flash memory on your ECM. The setup I just got from Halltech works that way. Who did the tune for you?

Sorry to hear about the column lock. That sounds like it could be extremely frustrating. Keep us informed.

David

do you have AAA? they saved me a bunch to have my car towed!

you are correct in assuming they will "blank" your tune - however, Nic should have a copy of it stored on his laptop - he should be able to just put it back - you'd have to contact him about that for a definite though

the rumor is that the dealer really can't fix it - you have to have someone put the aftermarket fix on the car - but from what i read, that fix can't be implemented while it is locked

good luck and keep us posted.

:agree

You should be able to save the flash memory on your ECM. The setup I just got from Halltech works that way. Who did the tune for you?

Sorry to hear about the column lock. That sounds like it could be extremely frustrating. Keep us informed.

David

Guest Sidewinder

You cannot install the Column Bypass when it's locked. The wheel isn't locked but the car thinks it is. The dealer should install a kit that bypasses the lock, that is the NEW fix anyway. Depending on the sofware that was installed on the last dealer fix will determine if the puter needs flashed. The lock motor isn't even functioning. I think the actuall bypass motor failed.

You cannot install the Column Bypass when it's locked. The wheel isn't locked but the car thinks it is. The dealer should install a kit that bypasses the lock, that is the NEW fix anyway. Depending on the sofware that was installed on the last dealer fix will determine if the puter needs flashed. The lock motor isn't even functioning. I think the actuall bypass motor failed.

isn't the column lock bypass kit like $50? and like 1.5 hours for the average joe (or mark) to install?

i realize it can't be bypassed when locked, but how much money is it going to take for towing bills before an aftermarket fix is warranted? think of what this "trip" might cost? towing, time, gas, and probably a small fee to get your pcm reflashed by Nic? as soon as you get it back, you should install that bypass kit - regardless of what the dealer tells you they did or might do in the future. just my :2cents

Guest Sidewinder

isn't the column lock bypass kit like $50? and like 1.5 hours for the average joe (or mark) to install?

i realize it can't be bypassed when locked, but how much money is it going to take for towing bills before an aftermarket fix is warranted? think of what this "trip" might cost? towing, time, gas, and probably a small fee to get your pcm reflashed by Nic? as soon as you get it back, you should install that bypass kit - regardless of what the dealer tells you they did or might do in the future. just my :2cents

It happened in the garage last night and there it sits. From what I have read on the new service bulletin the fix is basically the aftermarket bypass. The dealer is only about 10 miles from here. We have towing through insurance.

Don't worry, I save all my tunes. It's kind of scary actually, I have 1000+ bin files in a little over 5 years stored on that thing that I back up weekly. If they reflash the computer with the same operating system that's on it right now just to reset the column lock then I can just flash back in directly your old bin file. If they update it to a newer OS then I will have to copy all the relevant tables from your old tune into your new OS and reupload. Either way it won't take more than 20 minutes and it's a very small fee, nowhere near a full tune. The car probably won't drive worth a shit however after they reflash it, if they even have to.

Guest XLR8TNC5

Nic,

You are awesome! Thank you. I will let you know when I get it back from the dealership and we will set up something. Can you come to my house to do it? We can discuss that further after I get the car back, but if you could PM me what kind of $$$ I am looking at for your services, I would appreciate it.

The only reason I am asking if you can come to my side of town is because I do not want to drive the car if it is going to be too shitty to drive. Thanks so much!

Also, you sound like me. I save ALL my files and things I always think, "well, I might need it sometime in the future." You never know right.

Nic,

You are awesome! Thank you. I will let you know when I get it back from the dealership and we will set up something. Can you come to my house to do it? We can discuss that further after I get the car back, but if you could PM me what kind of $$$ I am looking at for your services, I would appreciate it.

The only reason I am asking if you can come to my side of town is because I do not want to drive the car if it is going to be too shitty to drive. Thanks so much!

Also, you sound like me. I save ALL my files and things I always think, "well, I might need it sometime in the future." You never know right.

i do this too - but not ONLY with my files - i do it with a lot of JUNK (you should see my storage unit)

Guest Kens06

I thought the LAST recall for the column lock problem was to remove the locking collar completely?

You just lost that 'theft' protection because the actuator had nothing to engage and lock the wheel!!

No reprograming required!

I may be wrong but my sources say recall #04006C is locking collar removal and harness change??

Ken

Guest Kens06

It should still apply and be a freebee!!

Downtime and getting the towing $$ back from insurance is the big PITA!!

What a bummer the motor engaged then crapped out!!

That's my kind of luck folks!! You have to stop hanging out with me!! :eek:drinkers:drinkers

Ken

Guest Sidewinder

The tow will be FREE through USAA. I call them and they send out a truck, not a dime outta my pocket. The repair will be covered. I talked to John at Gateway and I explained everything. He said that sounds weird but the fix will take care of it. The service bulletin covers the column for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Guest UVETTYA
The tow will be FREE through USAA. I call them and they send out a truck, not a dime outta my pocket. The repair will be covered. I talked to John at Gateway and I explained everything. He said that sounds weird but the fix will take care of it. The service bulletin covers the column for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Damn. Keep us posted. I've been dreading this happening. You guys were lucky it happened in the garage and not in the middle of BFE! With my luck, that's what I'm afraid of. :toetap

My 2000 was towed and repaired by the dealer under the recall. The lock was removed completely. They did do one of those computer reprogramming but only because the fuel gauge issue. Bad thing was previous owner had it running great now it is back to stock and I have now programs. :toetap

Great news! :thumbs

I did a little reading on CF about this issue; since I am still relatively new I've got to ask, and there is way to much out there on the subject and their search engine is lacking something.

According to the CF once the fix is done the steering wheel can be turned with the key out.

I bought mine used and don't know if it had anything done about this; my column however does not lock. Can I assume that mine has had the fix accomplished?

Guest Ricmin
Don't worry, I save all my tunes. It's kind of scary actually, I have 1000+ bin files in a little over 5 years stored on that thing that I back up weekly. If they reflash the computer with the same operating system that's on it right now just to reset the column lock then I can just flash back in directly your old bin file. If they update it to a newer OS then I will have to copy all the relevant tables from your old tune into your new OS and reupload. Either way it won't take more than 20 minutes and it's a very small fee, nowhere near a full tune. The car probably won't drive worth a shit however after they reflash it, if they even have to.

Nic, If they reflash, will you not lose the LS1 edit key on the reflashed PCM?

At 100,660 miles,

I just had the column lock warning come up on mine. Column was locked too. Turned the key back on, error came up, carefully wiggled the wheel between the stops, Felt the play and centered it between the stops, turned key off, waited a minute holding the wheel between the stops, turned the key back on, Column lock then retracted. I did the "shake the hell out of the wheel"1st though. Obviously that didn't do it either.

It would appear to me that when the wheel is rested against the mechanical locking mechanism when locked, the column lock may not have enough torque to retract. So now I make sure the wheel is loose between the stops before turning the key on.

Nic, If they reflash, will you not lose the LS1 edit key on the reflashed PCM?

you will lose the programming, but the "key" that matches your VIN is stored on the computer of the person who did your tune.

I did a little reading on CF about this issue; since I am still relatively new I've got to ask, and there is way to much out there on the subject and their search engine is lacking something.

According to the CF once the fix is done the steering wheel can be turned with the key out.

I bought mine used and don't know if it had anything done about this; my column however does not lock. Can I assume that mine has had the fix accomplished?

Anyone????

Quit being a nancy/worry wort!!

If it won't lock, what are you worried about??

Either your actuator failed in the open position, the locking collar has been removed or you have CLB installed!!

Take the car to a dealer and have them run the VIN for recall/maintenance history.

That will narrow the field!!

Ken