NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Ace Observations...

ICULUKN

When I joined ACE over 6 years ago, I joined because the people really loved driving their cars, and were blessed enough in life to give back to the community. We did Poker Runs, BBQ's, Toys for Tots, Cruises, and wrenching sessions at members houses. Membership was low, and participation was high.

I know what you all are thinking... Its easier to bitch about what is not being done, than to step up and lead.

I truely do not have the time to organize, however I can assist. Here are some ideas that I think would bring ACE back to its glory.

1. Have a monthly cruise to a different location for lunch. If its hot, we go north, if its cold we go south, east or west. Someone will have to pick a restuarant, call and save us a bunch of tables (and parking)...Mom and Pop restaurants work better than chains (like hooters)

2. Go out to a formal dinner once a month. This one is for the wifes and older kids. Corvette not required.... but lets go to a nice restaurant (not a bar that serves food). We can recognize b-days, anniversaries, births, etc.

3. Get back to charity work. I will be having a toys for tots drop at the Marine Corps Birthday this year. I will need someone to carry it on though Nov, and then maybe someone pick up for Dec.

4. Lets do something other than eat and drink. Maybe a night of putt-putt golf.. with prizes...I am sure that we can raise some money with a 50/50 or something like that.

4a... Maybe Movies as another idea.

5. Get the mass emails back... I spoke to Dwayne tonight about participation at our events, he said it was much higher when the mailer went out, than with just the forum.

If you agree what I am saying, then please respond..

If you think that the club is just fine the way it is.... then please be civil...

Glenn

:thumbs Great Idea :thumbs

We just had a great event with the Laughlin overnighter and the recent Detailing day.

Lets continue with other ideas.

I like the putt putt golf idea, and we really need to do the drive in movies this fall again....

I think there is penciled in plans for a second detail day after it cools off a little bit more. The wrenching days still happen, just with no regularity.

Remember, anyone is more than welcome to step up and start an event. Don't be intimidated, there's plenty of help around to get all the details worked out....

I will get a mass email together tomorrow, (no more procrastinating)! so if you get 10 updates in your mail box all at once I need to know....

The 5th annual Gila Bend BBQ is coming up.

And of course Glenn has just posted about the Marine Corp. Bday party in November.

3,503 lbs of trouble
3. Get back to charity work. I will be having a toys for tots drop at the Marine Corps Birthday this year. I will need someone to carry it on though Nov, and then maybe someone pick up for Dec.

I'd like to get involved with this. I already announced to my DeLorean club that I'd like to set up a T.F.T. toy drive this year, and link it to the A.C.E. T.F.T.s effort. Two clubs, more toys.

Guest Sidewinder

Sounds good, but when you have the SAME 10 people show up EVERYTIME it doesn't make sense to plan big. What about the other 400 hundred and sum "members"?

Sounds good, but when you have the SAME 10 people show up EVERYTIME it doesn't make sense to plan big. What about the other 400 hundred and sum "members"?

i like the email idea too glenn, but like mark said, we have 300+ members that NONE OF US HAVE EVER SEEN! and from what i recall, the reason the mass emails stopped, is that there were several people that wanted off the list if emails kept coming out - i think that was one of the main reasons for this forum.

i'm taking "no sides" either way - i check the forum regularly - and i don't mind an email or 2 for reminders

i personally was shocked to see a post from Kevin above - i thought maybe he sold his car or something, he hasn't been around in a long time on this forum.

I think we can do the email list separate from the forum.

I am sure one of the mods can let us know who is checking the forum and who is not.

I would also propose that after a year of inactivity we delete the account. This will give us a more realistic view of who is using the forum and free up some cool usernames..;)

If we use the mass email with a link back to the forum we will increase our forum activity as well.

Glenn

Guest Steve Mulvey

To be fair, I am a new member and probably shouldn't try to push,,, but.. when I belonged to another car group on the west coast, we met every, and I mean Every Saturday at a really cheesy restaurant for breakfast at 7 am. The place was picked because there is a lot of parking and the owner allowed us to take over his place for an hour and a half or so without complaining. There are about 30 - 60 guys (and gals) that show up and talk about cars, kids, whatever. They have a forum and they only post about two a week because they see each other on the weekend. I went to the breakfast about three weeks ago and there were 40 cars and about 60 people and it was as if I never left. It was great. It is not exactly centerally located to the area, yet many drive up to an hour to be there. I humbly put forward the suggestion that this group does the same thing, pick a spot, I don't mind driving a bit - after all I am a car guy...

Don't put it to a vote, one of you knows a greasy spoon joint that has parking - name it and I will be there! At least you will have one person to sit with! :drinkers:driving:

Steve

Couple of thoughts:

Anyone who wants on an email distro list can say so; have one of the moderators set it up and control it and send it to whomever wants on it.

Every Saturday meetings would be great; but, I may be the only one with this problem, we have 3 kids and there is no way I can make every Saturday. Once a month is hard enough on this end.

I do definitely want to be more involved and will make everything we can, but family does come first.

i personally was shocked to see a post from Kevin above - i thought maybe he sold his car or something, he hasn't been around in a long time on this forum.

hahaha Just been tied up with work and was getting the ride all back together :thumbs

Kevin

Guest Steve Mulvey
Every Saturday meetings would be great; but, I may be the only one with this problem, we have 3 kids and there is no way I can make every Saturday. Once a month is hard enough on this end.

There are at least 250 people in the other group as well, only about 30-50 show up and it is not always the same people. No one can make it every weekend... I still like the breakfast thing, oh and it gives you time to still do stuff on Saturdays...

Steve :thumbs

I am up for during the week events. Friday, Saturday and Sunday events are kind of hard to do since that is the only time I have for my family and to get things done. ( I work in Tempe and live in Chino Valley, so I stay in an apartment Mon to Fri morning )

Guest XLR8TNC5

I agree with everything Glenn says! I have been saying this shit for years!!!!

Im in with Glenn! And I have constantly put forth, reserved, and oocrdinated many lunches and events. So, I don't mind keeping that up on my end either. I don't want to be solely responsible, but I definitely know of several good places I have either heard about or I have been dying to try or go back to from time to time.

I agree with the nice resturant ideas more than you can imagine. I get REALLY tired of Boozer joints, I mean BURGER joints. lol.... And I don't mind driving to BFE either. I bought my car to enjoy it and driving it does nothing to hurt my feelings. My cheeks from smiling so much get a little achey, but nothing I can't handle.

GREAT GREAT POST GLENN!!!

My thoughts on the nice dinner was that some of us spend more time with out cars than spouses... this way we can kill 2 birds with one stone... Men get to enjoy the car... Women get to enjoy a fancy dinner... *Flame suit on for Tanya... LOL

I think a weekly meet is a great idea.

Not everybody will make every meeting, but that's ok. I'm sure I'll miss some too. I have to go on SOME motorcycle rides too

I like the nice dinner idea, too. Always looking for a good excuse to get "Dolly" (Debbie) out of studying.

Maybe do some weekend & some weekday dinners might help more members get to an event

Guest Steve Mulvey

Hmmmm..

Ok :wacko:

I see that there will be debate. I will start the ball and we will see if there is interest.. I will be at the 5 and Diner at the Pavillions for breakfast on Saturday at 7. I can eat alone although it would be fun to meet some of you as well. I think everyone knows where it is, so that is a good thing. If you show up , swell! :wub

Steve (obviously a type A instigator)

5 & Diner

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA [map]

9069 E. Indian Bend Road

Scottsdale, AZ 85250

Sun - Thurs 6am - 10pm

Friday - Saturday 6am - 11pm

Telephone: (480) 949-1957

Hmmmm..

Ok :wacko:

I see that there will be debate. I will start the ball and we will see if there is interest.. I will be at the 5 and Diner at the Pavillions for breakfast on Saturday at 7. I can eat alone although it would be fun to meet some of you as well. I think everyone knows where it is, so that is a good thing. If you show up , swell! :wub

Steve (obviously a type A instigator)

5 & Diner

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA [map]

9069 E. Indian Bend Road

Scottsdale, AZ 85250

Sun - Thurs 6am - 10pm

Friday - Saturday 6am - 11pm

Telephone: (480) 949-1957

I'll be there Steve...

I have weekends off now guys and gals. Be seein' ya more often.

Michael :thumbs

Info about the mass email.....

First off, with the server change we had a big problem with it sending out 10 to 20 emails per person. so I haven't taken the time to see if I can make it work. I will try again tongiht...

The mass email went to EVERY member, if they didn't want to receive it, they can email me to have their membership removed from ACE. We don't have the time to pick out address's from the bulk list, so you get it or you didn't really want to be a member here anyway.

One mass email every month shouldn't be to bad for anyone still interested in ACE, after each mass email there always seemed to be some extra activity around here from the members that don't usually visit daily.

So let me go put one together, please let me know if you get multiple emails or error's.....

Info about the mass email.....

First off, with the server change we had a big problem with it sending out 10 to 20 emails per person. so I haven't taken the time to see if I can make it work. I will try again tongiht...

The mass email went to EVERY member, if they didn't want to receive it, they can email me to have their membership removed from ACE. We don't have the time to pick out address's from the bulk list, so you get it or you didn't really want to be a member here anyway.

One mass email every month shouldn't be to bad for anyone still interested in ACE, after each mass email there always seemed to be some extra activity around here from the members that don't usually visit daily.

So let me go put one together, please let me know if you get multiple emails or error's.....

I think most of us regulars (yes I know I'm still new, but I visit the board several times a day), won't mind the email listing.

I too have a family with kids and find it hard to get away and would not make every meet. The idea that you would have a regular scheduled day, time and place to meet would be great. I have been visiting this forum since just after your detailing class and have yet to figure out where you meet. This would be other than the trips to Laughlin and the next one to Tuson. Lunch, goofy golf, Pavilions, movies or just a bunch of pizza's with coke(the drink) and beer (for those) would be great. JUST TELL ME WHERE YOU MEET? Is it the Pavilions every Friday, Saturday or really no set place? :howdy

I too have a family with kids and find it hard to get away and would not make every meet. The idea that you would have a regular scheduled day, time and place to meet would be great. I have been visiting this forum since just after your detailing class and have yet to figure out where you meet. This would be other than the trips to Laughlin and the next one to Tuson. Lunch, goofy golf, Pavilions, movies or just a bunch of pizza's with coke(the drink) and beer (for those) would be great. JUST TELL ME WHERE YOU MEET? Is it the Pavilions every Friday, Saturday or really no set place? :howdy

We don't meet regularly. If there's an event the person arranging it will normally suggest a meeting place. If it's in another part of the valley some of meet and caravan over to the group meeting place (hope that makes sense). We're not a "club" as such as we don't meet, have officers, pay dues, etc. Just a bunch of Vette lovers that get together occassionally.