NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Blown Engine!

Billyray

What a bummer about the engine. Sucks when crap like that happens.

If you do the six speed, get ready to do some work on the trans tunnel. The bigger case will not work for a bolt in application. There will be a lot of cutting and restructuring. The TKO is a better bet for the smaller case and it can take just as much torque. The TKO 600 is the best bet for a hi HP car IMO. Switch to the hydraulic clutch while your doing all this. I have to thank AZMotorhead for that bit of info and for the QuickTime bellhousing idea. Didn't have to us offset dowels and went right in without a problem.

It'll definiately help out with cooling too. Dual 12inch pulling fans with a 3 or 4 core cross flowm For a little added protection, use a engine oil cooler with 5/8 inch hose and a sandwich style adapter that is thermostatic controlled. Amazing difference! You know when the engine oil cooler kicks on cause the temp will drop within seconds and you'll never overheat.

EFI, hells yeah! You will not be disappointed no matter what brand you get. You want something that will stay under the air cleaner and look like its still carb'd? Fast EX is a good one to got with, I think Holley has one too but I think most of the ppl I have read liked the Fast better. Of course that is the looser MOPAR crowd... LOL!. I have been super duper happy with the Pro Flo. It can handle up to 1000 HP and the new upgraded system is completely self learning, I wish it was out when I put in the old school EFI.

Its a snap to intall and if you do the fuel lines just right, it'll look like it's oe. We had looked at Holley's EFI system but they need your intake and they drill out and weld in bungs for the injectors. The Pro Flo system has the intake already done. I'm gonna stay with Edlebrock when, I mean if I do the other car........

finallyavette

Put the 5-speed in it, by far the best thing I did for my c3. Mine is a driver and not all shiny by any means, but that 5-speed made it a whole new car.

I have all the tools to rebuild a SBC and to pull the engine; if you provide the beers come September/Oct. It's really not all that hard if the block is fine, send it off to be decked and fluxed. Pick up some AFR heads and a new intake and you can get 400HP pretty easy if you stroke it to a 383.

http://www.atomicefi.com/Atomic_EFI_Kits.aspx

Atomic EFI

I have been trying to get some work done but holy crap is it hot, and of course my evap cooler in the garage will not work in this humidity. So I got the interior out took about an hour and 2 gallons of sweat. I will post some pictures as I can. Although I know removing the body is going to be a chore. I have some rust issues that must be addressed.

This will probably be slow going I want to do this right and create a real head turner.

Goals:

383 Stroker (400+HP) undecided between rebuild and crate GM performance ZZ383 long block with fast burn aluminum heads 430HP is $5,500. Could this be done cheaper with rebuild? What is the best machine shop?

TKO 600 5 speed given

Custom exhaust (true dual with crossover and headers, four pipes out the back through custom made ground effects.)

Electric lights

Custom interior (including dash, doors, trim and gauges)

Custom sound system

March serpentine belt system

Aluminum radiator and electric fans

Fiberglass front end and rear with no seams.

Cut and customize the hood to fit the stroker.

Rebuild rearend

Coilovers on all four corners

Steeroids steering

Wildwood brakes and master cylinder

No smog! I will either have classic car insurance or my dad will let me register it at his house in Prescott.

Wheels are going to stay the same (I love the look of those classic wheels.)

Ouch looks pricey!

the Atomic EFI looks promising much cheaper than the others and I like the Idea of making it look like an old school engine while having the advatages of EFI.

Thanks once again for the advice and offers of help.

I'm with Jim, post them pictures... Hard to say on the rebuild, it's been years since I had to build one so I don't know what the cost is anymore. With the GM crate motor you get a warranty right? The fast burn heads were always my favorite, I was going to use a set on my 82 if I had gotten around to rebuilding it.

To rebuild yours would probably be a bit more in total cost vs the crate ... I always wonder however about the parts they use in those motors ... at least doing your own you know exactly what you've got ..... not that what they use is bad .... but if you're wanting horse power, there are better options for components ... That said .. you can get crate motors with more HP, but then you've moved the mark closer to what yours rebuilt would be ..... #justsayin

oh ... ref machine shops .... we use CBA in Mesa for our basic work, we do the majority in house ...

To rebuild yours would probably be a bit more in total cost vs the crate ... I always wonder however about the parts they use in those motors ... at least doing your own you know exactly what you've got ..... not that what they use is bad .... but if you're wanting horse power, there are better options for components ... That said .. you can get crate motors with more HP, but then you've moved the mark closer to what yours rebuilt would be ..... #justsayin

oh ... ref machine shops .... we use CBA in Mesa for our basic work, we do the majority in house ...

Isn't CBA in Chandler?