Blown Engine!

Billyray

I let my daughter and future Son-In-law drive my ‘80 last week, when I got the call no Corvette daddy wants to get. My baby was dead on the side of the road (the Corvette not my daughter, although she was afraid that when I got there she would be.) The engine overheated and the gauge was tacked out.

Now I have to start my restomod sooner than anticipated, I am debating between rebuilding the original engine and getting a GM performance ZZ383 crate engine. While I save up the dough for the engine I will start the frame and body restoration. I will try and get pictures up as I go.

Does anyone know what it would take to install a six speed in my C3?

Oh and my daughter is fine, suprising her I did not even yell at her.

post-2109-0-64700500-1374087381_thumb.jp

I would never allow my kids to drive any of my vettes.... :bolt: Or Cherye, or Sean's kids either!!! :lol

I would go with the 383, or if the stock block is good, rebuild it but replace the top end (heads, intake)

and theres a few members that have done the 5 speed that can probably help, and of course theres Doug Bromley

the 5 speed tremic was the BEST mod i ever did to my c3.

If you are going to keep it for a while I would suggest going into fuel injection. it makes living with that creature sooo much eaiser.

so with fuel injection in mind,and an already blown moter, you could pick up a LS3 long block for the same price as a Z28 350 ( I think)

Yes you can pick up a ls3 long block, but harness, mounts, headers, etc to make it work will add up quickly.

If I were restoring a later model C3 that had no numbers matching value, I'd do it all up as modern as possible...nose to tail.

Bromley's Corvettes

Sorry to hear the bad news. Lots of options on engines I would get the pan off the old engine and see how bad it is. If its not worth rebuilding I would put in a nice 383 alum heads and roller cam. Or just a nice 355 with some up grades will run much better then stock. I would do a Tremec 5-speed kinda bolt in. I would do long tubes and true dual 2.5 exhaust or side pipes. I have a 355 and a 383 I would sell but kinda holding onto them for a few projects I have at shop. Also you will want a alum rad and duel elec fans and probably want to up grade the a/c system.

You can likely get into an LS3 complete with computer and harnesses and a tremic for between 10 & 12k .... You may safe a few bucks doing the 383 route ... but an LS would be very cool in that hot rod !!!

I believe we had a member that stuck an LS2 in his '80ish (maybe late 70's?) C3 a few years back, but I am pretty sure he sold it. I would be partial to the fuel injection and 5 speed advice and a crate engine would be hard to beat. Check with LPM Steve also - he found a couple of great options for my C4 replacement, including a new, from the dealer, original equipment engine complete with valve covers, L-98 for $4k and change.

Guest badbobs95

Best of luck! I don't know what you should do. I'd probably give it to Doug and say please fix this! :wtf:

An LSx Modern C3 is on my list of to do's... but then I would also love to do that to a C2... I know damn youngin.

Bromley's Corvettes

A LS3 would be super cool in a C-3. I have a customer that did it to his 78 it cost him $15k with all the mods needed to make the swap. Everything is different so not a bolt in by any means but very cool when done. You could have a nice 355 for about $5k so depending on your budget its wide open with engine choices.

An engine that goes south sucks, but save the C3. A 383 is a good choice IMO.

Thanks for the comments and support. This is going to be a long road.

I have thought about a LS3 and Tremec 5-speed, I definitely like the idea of having a .64 final gear. After looking at fuel injection units from Edelbrock and Holley I nearly had a stroke they are almost as expensive as the engine. I did see the LS3 for around $7,000 but the amount of fabricating needed to fit it will be difficult. I am not a certified mechanic, I just love working on cars. Talk about decisions, either way is going to be a real hit on the pocket book for a retired Airman.

I have already picked out a three core aluminum radiator with dual 12” pullers and a 16” pusher

I also want to do the steroids upgrade and coil-overs on all four corners. So this weekend I will start unbolting the body and building a wood frame to sit it on so I can get to the frame.

Additionally I am looking at making a custom fiberglass dash, center console, trim and door panels.

Lots of money and time. Sounds like fun!

Saving the car is a must it belonged to my friend and mentor Randy who died in Afghanistan.

From another retired airman...I can always try to help with some elbow grease. I'm no mechanic either (aircraft weapons) but am pretty good with tools. :yesnod

If you are on the east side I'll come over and help. Done more motor swaps than I care to recall.

I would focus on a nice SBC build, and really try to swing FI if possible. If not, carbs work.

So this weekend I will start unbolting the body and building a wood frame to sit it on so I can get to the frame.

Pictures man, you gotta take lots of pictures.

Did I ever tell you we love pictures so we can follow along?

Bromley's Corvettes

Some very ambitious projects I would not take body off if not needed. If your not wanting to restore it 100% or show it all the time. I no lots of guys that get in over there head with all the things they want to do to the car and tear it all apart and it sits for years. Some times never gets put back together. I would just make a nice driver out of it. New engine and 5-speed and go through the brakes and susp and up grade cooling system. :)

If you are on the east side I'll come over and help. Done more motor swaps than I care to recall.

I would focus on a nice SBC build, and really try to swing FI if possible. If not, carbs work.

...carbs work, AND you'll be able to use your gas gauge for a fan. :highfive:

Fuel efficiency goes WAY up with the FI systems. I see a lot of rods with L-98 / TPI variants.

No doubt your '80 isn't a California-only 305 but not sure what the 49-state 350's used for computer control and whether that might be a limiting factor when choosing a cam? Mike T.

Bromley's Corvettes

Just get classic insurance on it so you can do anything you want. No smog test needed.

Sound's like a fun project .... The good news is this ACE crowd loves helping out ... what with cool ones, lots of pointing .... and some with real knowledge ((( I know .. I mite be stretching it a bit ))) :LolLol:

But seriously .... any way we can help ... let us know ..... we're here for ya !!!

PM Sent

Thanks for the comments and support. This is going to be a long road.

I have thought about a LS3 and Tremec 5-speed, I definitely like the idea of having a .64 final gear. After looking at fuel injection units from Edelbrock and Holley I nearly had a stroke they are almost as expensive as the engine. I did see the LS3 for around $7,000 but the amount of fabricating needed to fit it will be difficult. I am not a certified mechanic, I just love working on cars. Talk about decisions, either way is going to be a real hit on the pocket book for a retired Airman.

I have already picked out a three core aluminum radiator with dual 12” pullers and a 16” pusher

I also want to do the steroids upgrade and coil-overs on all four corners. So this weekend I will start unbolting the body and building a wood frame to sit it on so I can get to the frame.

Additionally I am looking at making a custom fiberglass dash, center console, trim and door panels.

Lots of money and time. Sounds like fun!

Saving the car is a must it belonged to my friend and mentor Randy who died in Afghanistan.

You could always just rebuild the gen1 motor and put a FAST EZ EFI system on it (cost will be lower) and it will run just fine and more efficant than a carb motor for sure with less hassle. Jus sayin'. ZGood luck!

I happen to have a freshly rebuilt LS2 that Big Poppa just helped me bring back to the house. It was for my black corvette but now that I am selling that car and some of its parts I think I will just be selling the LS2. Your welcome to it.