NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

So what would you do, LS2 or L92 or Stroker 383 LS1?

Cross

----Build in progress chose the LS2 Short Block Route----

Ordered so far now:

LS2 Rebuilt Shortblock with Timing cover and cam sensor as well as LS1 Knock Sensors and setup 2000.00 shipped

Monster Stage 2 Clutch New 400.00 Shipped (Going to resurface and reuse my light weight flywheel)

GM Rear Diff Fluid 15.00 a bottle, 2 bottles ordered so 30.00

New Melling Oil Pump

New LS2 Timing Chain

Reusing my Milled 243's with Lunati Voodoo Dual Springs and Crane 1.79 Adjustable Roller Rockers

Comp Lifters

GM LS2 Head Gaskets

ARP Rod, Head and Cam bolts

Majority of needed seals and gaskets

Slave Cylinder

Pilot Bearing

Need to buy:

New Cam to go with above setup

New TB to Air Bridge Coupler

Rebuild my Rear Diff

C5Z Axles possibly?

Rear Diff Brace

Selling to fund some of the extra goodies:

2 New Godspeed Turbos w/ Waste Gates

1 Corvette C5 HUD Cluster at 84k (I just put in a Z06 one)

LS1 Short Block with Comp Cam XR25 I believe let me grab that

Thats what I am asking myself, I am going to do one of them, almost bought an L92 today but I am just not sure about it... rebuilt because of a bad cam bearing because the dealer/shop replaced the motor under warranty... but he kept the block and it just needed a basic rebuild... VVT model, just concerns me the situation surrounding it.

Anyway I would like to know if you were in my position and you wanted more what direction would you go?

LS1 with a 383 Flat Top Stroker Build

LS2 Bottom End

L92 Bottom End

I will be keeping my milled 243's at this time, my cam, my Fast Intake setup. Later on will determine if I do LS3 heads or AFR's etc.

I would sell three cars, take the money set aside for the motor and buy the black C6Z for sale in Tucson on this board.

Stop it Yoder... I was already thinking that... I sold one of them already too...

Stick to these three lol, I want that Z06... but I need a car with back seats to daily and a toy. If I sell the other two and get that Z06 I will lose something I need and turn a Z06 into a Daily... I wish I could, I can't that.

I would sell three cars, take the money set aside for the motor and buy the black C6Z for sale in Tucson on this board.

:ditto:

If those are my only choices, LS2. IMO though NONE of those options are worth your time and money. That's a lot of money effort for the minimal gains you'll get from where you're at.

I wouldn't bother doing stroker anything. Just add forged rods and pistons with boost or nitrous. Done.

If you can find a G8GT that has a L92 if I'm not mistaken; otherwise, pickup a G8 GXP, has the LS3, 4 doors, seats 5 and you can mod the hell out of it. Before I traded the GXP for the GS, I had added Kook 1 7/8" headers, CAE and a full catback and a mild NicD tune and I was pushing an even 374/374 to the rear.

Alright today I hope to pull the trigger. I found a 370 LQ Build on LS1tech that got me thinking about one of those, then I actually called Thompson Motorsports who built it and talked to them. They also have a C5 with the same 370 build nice guy we chatted for awhile and he gave me a price of just under 3300 shipped to my door for a forged one with a 1 year warranty.

However I wanted to talk to Loud Pedal because well, they are local and I know they are one of the best. I am hoping this afternoon to get a call back and pull the trigger with them, that will make me 100x happier knowing its the guys up there taking care of me.

So at this point its going to happen, I am going bigger, its just waiting to be solidified. But this setup will be ready by Bondurant is my goal in October. That's a ways away so I have time but I am not going to rush this one, with the Children's Cancer Car Show coming up I have to many other things going on so its not even going to be thought of going in until after that. It will just sit for me to look at and get excited over until then.

Did you pull said trigger? If not, don't leave Larry off the list. Larry built my engine and Loud pedal did the install. And I'm a happy boy!!

No I am waiting until Monday, Loud Pedal needed more time.

Right now I am looking at a few options, a member on LS1tech just offered me a rebuilt LS2 for 2000 shipped but I have yet to find out if its a gen 3 or 4 block. I am assuming a gen 4.

The main two are Thompson Motorsports with a Forged 370 LQ (They claim new block) warrantied for 1 year setup at 10.75:1 Compression for 32xx Shipped to me or Loud Pedal. I am going to buy a new cam too so I am waiting to see what Loud Pedal comes up with. I honestly would pref to work with a local shop more because well we all know Loud Pedal and I will be going to them to dyno and tune once its together.

I am still planning on keeping my milled 243's and Fast, etc. I will move on from those once I finish rebuilding my LS1 which I was giving some thought to putting in the Mustang or finding another project for it. At that time I will be moving the Vette to LS3 Heads and deciding if I want to put a Supercharger on it still or go with the NA and Nitrous setup running ITB's.

Are you sure you want an iron block? I would stay aluminum unless you want to make 800+ later.

I looked at Thompson Motorsports when i did my engine. Looks like they do a decent job at the right price. You may also look at TX Speed. I want to say that their pricing was similar, but they are a bigger name/ better known shop. Just food for thought. beyond Larry's here in Tucson, I have no bias towards engine builders. But if you want to go local, go talk to Larry. they really do great work.

But they cost more, I go tmy Valve Springs from Larry's I just know they are more expensive and well I would pref to see Loud Pedal or CPR get it but I am not sure CPR would be interested in doing this. I also didn't want to waste quite a few shop's time asking for quotes. Thought that would be more of an ass move.

joe@cpr.com

But they cost more, I go tmy Valve Springs from Larry's I just know they are more expensive and well I would pref to see Loud Pedal or CPR get it but I am not sure CPR would be interested in doing this. I also didn't want to waste quite a few shop's time asking for quotes. Thought that would be more of an ass move.

What makes you think I wouldn't be interested in this? We already have a a good amount of built motor cars running around. The machine shop I use is literally 4 suites down from me. The member NRS (neil) will attest to their and my teams abilities. Take a look at our Facebook page to see all of our very extravagant builds. I get the vibe from ace as a whole and pm's I receive that many on here don't follow what we do or have seen our talent. Even if you don't have a Facebook the page isn't blocked so anyone can see it. I will build quotes all day for people and will absolutely never feel like my time is wasted!

Well we talked about nitrous and I decided to build the motor first so I just felt bad, but I will be honest I don't get to see much besides those great shots from the photoshoot (I am not being sarcastic we all enjoyed it, expect maybe Dawg there wasn't enough Orange for him) so that could be true. But I honestly feel bad to have a few shops doing the leg work like that, I'm all for a good deal but not for wasting peoples time like that.. hard to have both I guess so I do the best I can.

NPR actually contacted me and I told him the same thing, I just hate doing that to someone. Right now its just Thompson Motorsports because well that's where I ended up looking first after just searching myself and then Loud Pedal because well I want to be local even if it costs me a little more. I meant no disrespect to you at all Joe, I have always said I like your shop and you guys have always been friendly.

joe@cpr.com

I didn't take any disrespect you have the right to go to whoever you want. I was just confused by the statement that I wouldn't want to do it. As that may make people feel as if I told you no. When I was never asked, again I am not upset you didn't ask just want people to not get the wrong idea is all. Never feel bad about asking for quotes as people's mind change and what was the plan before may not be that today. Either way hope the setup ends up badass :)

What makes you think I wouldn't be interested in this? We already have a a good amount of built motor cars running around. The machine shop I use is literally 4 suites down from me. The member NRS (neil) will attest to their and my teams abilities. Take a look at our Facebook page to see all of our very extravagant builds. I get the vibe from ace as a whole and pm's I receive that many on here don't follow what we do or have seen our talent. Even if you don't have a Facebook the page isn't blocked so anyone can see it. I will build quotes all day for people and will absolutely never feel like my time is wasted!

I am definitely a big supporter of CPR, and have been very happy with the work Rich has done on my Vette. They have done a fantastic job on my car, with the engine build, SC and a myriad of other stuff that I keep coming up with. As soon as it is completed I will post a bunch of pictures of everything.

Neil

Alright so lets get the order list going!

Ordered so far now:

LS2 Rebuild Shortblock with Timing cover and cam sensor as well as LS1 Knock Sensors and setup 2000.00 shipped

Monster Stage 2 Clutch New 400.00 Shipped (Going to resurface and reuse my light weight flywheel)

GM Rear Diff Fluid 15.00 a bottle, 2 bottles ordered so 30.00

New Melling Oil Pump

New LS2 Timing Chain

Reusing my Milled 243's with Lunati Voodoo Dual Springs and Crane 1.79 Adjustable Roller Rockers

Need to buy:

Gaskets (Head, and other)

LS7 Lifters or sim depending on prices

New Cam to go with above setup

New TB to Air Bridge Coupler

Slave Cylinder

Pilot Bearing

Throw Out Bearing

Rebuild my Rear Diff

C5Z Axles possibly?

Rear Diff Brace

Selling to fund some of the extra goodies:

2 New Godspeed Turbos w/ Waste Gates

1 Corvette C5 HUD Cluster at 84k (I just put in a Z06 one)

LS1 Short Block with Comp Cam XR25 I believe let me grab that

Either way you won't make enough power to hurt c5 axles so no need to upgrade. Myself and a few friends are running them at 800-1000rwhp with no issues so a mild N/A build won't hurt them.

joe@cpr.com

C5Z axles are no different than C5 axles. They are all the same.

actually not true c5z axles are the strongest factory gm axles. many c6z guy's run them. now i agree he shouldn't need them at his power level but hey if he wants to add a little safety doesn't hurt. safety doesn't take a holiday lol

What do you think is in my car?

Pull up part numbers (10311201)for any year and model c5. Axle part numbers are the same. Maybe GM replaced the part number with the z06 one in the parts catalog later with the better ones and it didn't always be that way, but for now there is only type last time I checked.

In fact I just did it. All 1997-2004 c5 axles use that part number, including z06s.

I heard this one from Steve at Loud Pedal.. Get an LS6 valley cover. Apparently they draw the PCV from a different spot so it doesn't suck as much oil in. They are like $150 brand new from the dealer.