NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Is a catch can necessary?

Jon

Yes, especially if you run it hard or are FI, just pull off your throttle body and look at the oil in the intake manifold. I went with the Lingfelter one, its larger and easier to inspect.

I have one installed in my Z06 and after 2000 miles i had one tablespoon full in it.

Dang. What brand is yours?

I have no personal experience, but my engine builder told me taht for race applications, absolutely. But that they don't bother with them on street cars.

From their site, the downsides of stock: •Throttle body and/or MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) malfunction or failure •Air filter, intercooler (if equipped) and intake ducting contamination if oil pools and run back out the intake system after engine shutdown •Reduced octane of the air/fuel mixture, which can cause detonation and the ECM (Engine Control Module) to retard timing, thereby reducing engine power •Excessive carbon build-up on valves, piston crowns, combustion chambers and spark plugs. This also increases the chance of detonation and power loss •Increased emissions & possible contamination of catalytic converters and oxygen sensors For what its worth, I agree with all of them Like mentioned before, if you don't beat on your car, it may not be woth it. Simple check, take off your air filter and throttle body, if the intake manifold is dry and no puddles of oil, then dont bother purchasing.

On a C5...absolutely. My car used to blow smoke and very hard driving (AutoX to be exact). But since putting in a catch can...nada.

We have the Elite Eng. Even though the car is a street only car and very rarely driven, it has captured a lot and I mean a LOT of the oil. It'll collect about half a cup between oil changes. It's very well built and bullet proof.

I guess it's an extra $9.50 for the LS3 version. They gave me a free t-shirt for the confusion. Great customer service. :)

Ya, that's teh one thing that pulled me to them was teh customer service....teh all-USA made helps too!

I got mine from Billet Depot. $100 shipped, made in USA too. Only took 15-20 minutes to install.

Ya, that's teh one thing that pulled me to them was teh customer service....teh all-USA made helps too!

:agree

IMHO, the LS3, especially '09-up, doesn't need one. I put on a clean manifold with 71K showing and removed it about 94K. It had an oily film, but nothing anywhere near approaching puddles. I set it on the TB flange for a couple days and never got a drop out. My oil consumption was well under a half-quart at my average 12K changes. I've since put on a ported intake and taken the TB off a couple times, including this month. With 11K it looks like the oil film is even less. I used a paper towel to wipe it out and barely dampened it. I get 10 times that much off the dipstick when checking oil level. One of the concerns the engineers addressed when designing the LS3, was the oil issue. They even changed the block again for the '09 MY for more improvement in crankcase ventilation to accommodate the LS9.

fourseventeen

On a C5...absolutely. My car used to blow smoke and very hard driving (AutoX to be exact). But since putting in a catch can...nada.

I hear the driver blows too!

But seriously, I had the Elite can on my 2007 Z06. in about 3-4 months I had MAYBE a tablespoon in there. I left it alone and didnt check it for a good 6 months and at that point I had a noticeable amount of black gold in there. I will buy one for my new Z06 soon. The Elite can is very well made, the installation is simple and very clean.

Anytime you can remove the possibility of oil contamination into your intake it will assist with HP reduction and wear. Nothing wrong with a catch can and if it only catches a teaspoon it has done its job. Also don't wait to change your oil to 12,000 miles as that is a very dangerous investment. I have had oil samples done on my previous Z06 at 3000,6000 and 8,000 and my oil was useable at 8,000 but showed extreme reduction in properties essential for engine longevity. I used Caterpillar for sampling my oil.

I get about a tablespoon with my normal light driving between changes sometimes double that but with lots of hard driving it goes to half or so. I forget to empty it most times embarrising when you forget. Anyway I made my own using an Airtool Catch for Moisture. Cost lass than 55.00 completely done I want to say more like 40.00.

fourseventeen

I get about a tablespoon with my normal light driving between changes sometimes double that but with lots of hard driving it goes to half or so. I forget to empty it most times embarrising when you forget.

Anyway I made my own using an Airtool Catch for Moisture. Cost lass than 55.00 completely done I want to say more like 40.00.

Any photos of the build and completed project?

Didn't Dawg did the same at one point, I'm sure there was a parts list and some pics, Need to check with him

I get about a tablespoon with my normal light driving between changes sometimes double that but with lots of hard driving it goes to half or so. I forget to empty it most times embarrising when you forget.

Anyway I made my own using an Airtool Catch for Moisture. Cost lass than 55.00 completely done I want to say more like 40.00.

Any photos of the build and completed project?

Well, it wasn't orange, or have a carbon fiber roof liner, or have fittings too tight to come off once installed, so you probably wouldn't like it.

Man I miss busting your balls! :D