NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

FNBADAZ06's weight loss program

FNBADAZ06

Two ways of increasing power to weight........add power, or lose the weight :smilelol

I'm going after both, and to be honest with you, the weight loss component can cost as much, if not more, than adding power.

I haven't weighed my car yet, but the factory says a 2006 C6 Z06 1LZ car comes in at 3130 lbs.

My car is a 2LZ with NAV, and an aftermarket amp/subwoofer stereo system with sound deadning is going to add a bit more.

With my heavier repro Z06 syder wheels and lighter Nitto NT05's, I'm going to guess my car is around 3170-3190, or 40-60 lbs heavier than the lightest setup. I'll put it on the scale at Speedworld the next time I'm out there to get an exact number but I don't think I'm far off on my guess. My carbon fiber hood, roof, and halo, have multiple coats of clear on them so I think the weight savings on those parts is going to be negledgable. I'm not going to sacrifice creature comforts in my quest for weight loss, but on those occassions where I go to the track, I am planning to replace my seat(s) temporarily with light weight race seats.

So, what can I do to pull some weight out of FNBADAZ06 ?

I'm going to list the parts I've purchased that are going to be partially responsable for this weight loss, the replacement part's weight, and the weight of the OEM part I'm replacing. CAn I hit the magical 3000 lbs mark ?

AS the Budwieser commercial says.....Here we go !!!!

EXHAUST

OEM Manifolds--------------------------------------->25.80lbs/pair

B&B 1 7/8th coated longtube headers----------------->25.0 lbs/pair (pretty much a wash)

OEM Cats-------------------------------------------->20.40lbs/pair

Cat delete -------------------------------------------->20.40 lbs saved

OEM Mid section-------------------------------------> 19.4 lbs

Akrapovic Titanium X-pipe --------------------------> 9.0 lbs ....10.40 lbs saved

DRIVELINE

OEM LS7 Clutch/Flywheel-----------------------------> 56.5 lbs

LS9R Clutch w/alum. flywheel------------------------> 48.5lbs ....8 lbs saved

BRAKES

OEM Front Rotor-------------------------------------> 26.5 lbs (53 lbs pair)

Racing Brakes two piece /aluminum hats--------------> 17 lbs (34 lbs/pair) 9.5 lbs each, or 19 lbs/pair saved

SUSPENSION

OEM FRont/REar sway bars with endlinks -------------> 32 lbs for both

Pfadt Heavy Rate sway bars w/ links-----------------> 18.8 lbs for both 13.5 lbs saved

So far, approximately 71.3 lbs will be pulled from the car.......not bad :thumbs

I know you're a stylish pimp, but have you considered like a CCW drag pack set up of fats and skinnies? Rotating mass and all that.

More info......

OEM Driver Seat w/base------> 52 lbs

OEM Passenger Seat w/base------> 36 lbs

I can save 36 lbs by pulling my passenger seat when I race.

THe average race seat weighs in around 17 lbs, with the non-power base weighing 6 lbs.

So, using a race driver's seat can save me approximately 29 lbs...yanking the passenger seat saves 36 lbs.

That could save me an additional 65 lbs in race configuration :thumbs

71 and 65 would be 136 lbs pulled out of the car....sweet !!!! :thumbs

I know you're a stylish pimp, but have you considered like a CCW drag pack set up of fats and skinnies? Rotating mass and all that.

I have the C5 Z06 17x9.5 for the rears, with Hoosier 275/40/17 drag radials.

The tires are worn so the combo is going to be a bit on the light side, but they currently weigh 41.5 lbs each.

I'm thinking about a pair of Weld Racing RT-S high pad mounts in 17x4.7 for the fronts......13 lbs each !!!!!! :partygrnhat: Tom knows what the M & H 4.5/26-17 front runner weigh....they don't list the weight on their site.

OEM 18x9.5 Speedlines are approximately 22 lbs each

OEM 19x12 Speedlines are approximately 26 lbs each

OEM GY F1 EMT's 275/35/18 are 29 lbs

OEM GY F1 EMT's 325/30/19 are 36 lbs

So, if the OEM rear tire/wheel combo weighs 62 lbs each , my rear drag pack is saving 20.5 lbs per rear axle !!!!!

That's 41 lbs off the rear all by itself !!!!! :eek:

Add that to my hypothetical 136 lbs savings from above, we're talking 177 LBS...... not including the front runner setup :partygrnhat:

I should be approaching my desired targeted 3000 lbs race weight !!!!!

So that's a yes. You have obviously considered that! :smilelol I've heard some actually remove their front sway bars for passes too.

So that's a yes. You have obviously considered that! :smilelol

I've heard some actually remove their front sway bars for passes too.

Some remove the sway for better weight transfer, but so far, my car is hooking pretty solid with my current power output....but that looks to be changing in the not to distant future :edward:

How much of difference does 100 lbs make in ET?

Some say .1+ , but rotational weight has a more significant impact than dead weight.

I would love to be 3000 lbs with 530-550 RWHP and 500 RWTQ......I think I can hit that target. Can you say 5.4 lbs/HP ????? Hell yeah :partygrnhat:

Aren't you at the point of needing a roll cage...thereby adding more weight again? :lol

I passed that requirement a long time ago.....you need a rool bar at 11.49 .

Tom's roll bar setup come's in at 60 lbs IIRC. If I could snag an Akrapovic EVO Titanium axle back, that would shed 33 LBS from my ZR1 cans.

Just buy a supercharger and be done with all this weight crap. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE FASTER, BIGGER, STRONGER, LIGHTER. On second thought, just buy a ZR1. ha ha

Just buy a supercharger and be done with all this weight crap. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE FASTER, BIGGER, STRONGER, LIGHTER. On second thought, just buy a ZR1. ha ha

Don't want the heat soak and additional weight on the nose. While the look and sound of a Whipple would be sweet, if I ever went FI it would be turbo.

Shedding weight does wonders for cornering , braking, acceleration, etc.....especially un-sprung weight.

FYI...a 3000 lbs 550 RWHP Z06 would run circles around a ZR1 :edward:

Me likey......and they're csenter lock wheels :rockon2:

Posted Image

19x12 are stupid light.

How light, you ask ?

Posted Image

damn

So are you going to loose the weight and try to stay stock to set a record or will the need for more power get to you first?

So are you going to loose the weight and try to stay stock to set a record or will the need for more power get to you first?

The weight is coming off first.....the exhaust, sways, rotors, clutch, are already in my possession or in transit.

I would love to do all the weight loss stuff first, then go to the power. The bulk of the weight loss stuff won't affect my driveline warranty, but if my heads come off for testing/repairing for the guides, I'd go ahead and put the cam pieces in while the engine was apart.

I would love to see what you could run after the weight loss, but I don't blame you for wanting to save the bucks while it's already apart for repair if needed....

I would love to see what you could run after the weight loss, but I don't blame you for wanting to save the bucks while it's already apart for repair if needed....

We shall see. It's going to be interesting to see what impact the Katech LS9X clutch assembly is going to have.......8-9 lbs coming off the crank and the additional clamping force of the dual disk.....hhhmmmm.

My testing two years ago found that 100# is good for .12 ET. I found a solid tenth tonight tweaking the tune a bit more. Ran 11.43 in 2700 DA with a spinning 1.69 60', while 400# heavier than the 11.06 in 800 DA and 1.56 60'. Allow .2 for the DA, at least .1 for the spin, .38 for weight (rollbar/harness will stay), and I'm seeing easy 10's.

My testing two years ago found that 100# is good for .12 ET.

I found a solid tenth tonight tweaking the tune a bit more. Ran 11.43 in 2700 DA with a spinning 1.69 60', while 400# heavier than the 11.06 in 800 DA and 1.56 60'.

Allow .2 for the DA, at least .1 for the spin, .38 for weight (rollbar/harness will stay), and I'm seeing easy 10's.

Excellent !!!!

I will be removing my passenger seat and any other little things i can as well this winter. I am also liking the better rotors and etc victor is doing. However the cost of the exhaust system to me is to much for the gain.

I will be removing my passenger seat and any other little things i can as well this winter. I am also liking the better rotors and etc victor is doing. However the cost of the exhaust system to me is to much for the gain.

If I didn't get such an excellent price on the x-pipe, I'd still be running my OEM unit......but the titanium parts very rarely come up for sale used, and the x-pipe was never available as a seperate part. I'm lucky that the titanium x-pipe will work with my B&B headers. Their was a recent sale of a near new Akrapovic EVO over the axle system for $2000.....a system that runs over $3400 new. THat got snagged 15 minutes after it was posted.

Shaving weight can be a VERY expensive proposition :crazy

But cutting weight can have such a dramatic influence on performance across the board. :yesnod

Speaking of axle back exhaust systems, here's what's been posted of the various system's weight. OEM exhaust -----------> 50.2lbs (25 lbs per side minus vacuum motors) OEM exhaust------------> Akrapovic Titanium EVO Exhaust 21.2lbs (-33lbs) OEM exhaust -----------> LG GT4 29.2lbs(-21lbs) OEM exhaust------------> Stainless Works Axle Back Exhaust 30.2lbs (-20lbs) OEM exhaust -----------> B&B Bullets 34.2lbs (-16 lbs) OEM exhaust------------> GHL Exhaust 39lbs (-11.2lbs) OEM exhaust -----------> Akrapovic Stainless Steel: 39.2lbs (-11 lbs) OEM exhaust------------> Borla S type 44lbs -5.2lbs OEM exhaust -----------> Corsa Exhaust System 48.2 lbs (-2lbs) OEM exhaust -----------> B&B Fusions 52.2 lbs (+2lbs) I'm not willing to give up the bi-mode at this time, unless they were serious weight savers....tho I'm really impressed (and suprised) on how the Corsa's sounds on Mike's car with the longtubes.