Wondering about power etc

mmacfn

Hey all So lately I have been wondering what sortof power to the wheels i should have in my automatic 2007. Here is what i mean. From a stop if i were to slam on the gas should the tires spin? On numerous occasions I have attempted this to get a gauge of the power with traction control on, off, in sport mode etc. but cannot seem to get more than a chirp out of the tires. I have also tried this with the paddle shifters with similar results. Ideas? Is this normal or is it just something I am doing?

Hey all

So lately I have been wondering what sortof power to the wheels i should have in my automatic 2007.

Here is what i mean.

From a stop if i were to slam on the gas should the tires spin?

On numerous occasions I have attempted this to get a gauge of the power with traction control on, off, in sport mode etc. but cannot seem to get more than a chirp out of the tires.

I have also tried this with the paddle shifters with similar results.

Ideas? Is this normal or is it just something I am doing?

I assume you are 100% bone stock. The best way to measure the power of your car and your ability to use it, is with the timeslip numbers at the dragstrip. Dyno HP is only useful to measure differences. i.e. before and after changes. You aren't driving that dyno drum on the street and if you can't put the power to the ground, it's useless.

A tune will unleash some of those horses GM has tied up. Letting it breathe cooler air and exhaling without as much restriction makes a big difference.

A less expensive option is trading me your apparently good tires for my worn Invos or waiting for a rainy day if spinning your wheels is what makes you happy. :lol

O7 - 400 hp With great tires a chirp is normal,lots of grip is a good thing. Cheapie or worn out tires you might get a decent spin,maybe even some smoke. Less traction = not so fast off the line. Tire temps, road temp, air temps, road composition all play a big part if you want or don't want spin time.... Cold tires, cold old pavement will be less grippy than un surfaced cement any day.

Good info! As usual! Loud, i do plan to do a tune and get everything tweaked in the future but for now, since i have a 60 000 extended warranty I dont want to risk voiding it. The second it turns 60 001 im gonna get it tuned for fun! I guess my surprised was that a 400 hp light vehicle would not spin the tires from a stop. While i understand the rear tires are huge I sortof expected it could do that. However, my knowledge of HP and ture spin comes from motorcycles... a totally different animal. It does remain bone stock only because of the warranty!

Good info! As usual!

Loud, i do plan to do a tune and get everything tweaked in the future but for now, since i have a 60 000 extended warranty I dont want to risk voiding it. The second it turns 60 001 im gonna get it tuned for fun!

I guess my surprised was that a 400 hp light vehicle would not spin the tires from a stop. While i understand the rear tires are huge I sortof expected it could do that. However, my knowledge of HP and ture spin comes from motorcycles... a totally different animal.

It does remain bone stock only because of the warranty!

What size are your rear tires ?

Loud, i do plan to do a tune and get everything tweaked in the future but for now, since i have a 60 000 extended warranty I dont want to risk voiding it. The second it turns 60 001 im gonna get it tuned for fun!

This always confuses me. Why the fun that you intend to do in the future, takes a back seat to the fear of breaking stock parts and having to pay for them. You're far more likely to break parts when the car is modded for more power, which is exactly why the warranty won't cover those mods. If you can't afford to fix problems without a warranty, you surely don't want to spend money on things that increase that risk. If the money is not the issue, then why wait to have the fun that you desire.

It seems like the same thinking that requires someone to force down that last piece of a crappy tasting pizza, because they want to get everything they paid for.

Well said Tom! Lets not forget to save room for desert after those last few bites of crapy pizza When you mod to add power especially big #'s you must be ready at least mentally to have to replace. Some parts. Remember you don't get something for nothing. SLAMMER

Stock nothing special.

Good info! As usual!

I guess my surprised was that a 400 hp light vehicle would not spin the tires from a stop. While i understand the rear tires are huge I sortof expected it could do that. However, my knowledge of HP and ture spin comes from motorcycles... a totally different animal.

What size are your rear tires ?

Ah if only life was so simple.

I drive my vette everyday. If something were to happen it would be an issue.

It isnt the money, it isnt the concern of breaking parts. It is that i have a paid for warranty to 60K which covers alot that could well go wrong with regular use. Recently ive used it twice and saved myself 3K. It is silly to have a warranty and then intentionally void it really. It isnt like i am not enjoyin the car and im not tracking it so why void a warranty that could save me thousands?

This always confuses me. Why the fun that you intend to do in the future, takes a back seat to the fear of breaking stock parts and having to pay for them. You're far more likely to break parts when the car is modded for more power, which is exactly why the warranty won't cover those mods. If you can't afford to fix problems without a warranty, you surely don't want to spend money on things that increase that risk. If the money is not the issue, then why wait to have the fun that you desire.

It seems like the same thinking that requires someone to force down that last piece of a crappy tasting pizza, because they want to get everything they paid for.

Ah if only life was so simple.

I drive my vette everyday. If something were to happen it would be an issue.

It isnt the money, it isnt the concern of breaking parts. It is that i have a paid for warranty to 60K which covers alot that could well go wrong with regular use. Recently ive used it twice and saved myself 3K. It is silly to have a warranty and then intentionally void it really. It isnt like i am not enjoyin the car and im not tracking it so why void a warranty that could save me thousands?

It's your car, enjoy it. The primary reason for the condition you are experiencing is caused by calibration tables in the PCM that pull ignition timing on aggressive launches. One day, when the warranty is gone, it is an easy fix to free up some ponies when you launch the car.

We could always meet up for some smoke lessons, it won't cost you more than a new set of rear tires is all...... :edward:

We could always meet up for some smoke lessons, it won't cost you more than a new set of rear tires is all...... :edward:

Two pedals, two feet. Use them. :)

Especially that 6 speed, it is not the strongest thing going by any stretch.

I've worked mine rather hard and still haven't had problems (yet) for 102K miles. Well over 300 launches and issues with underfill and overfill didn't kill it either. I put a cooler on and bypassed the radiator to keep the temps down, but then it became hard to get up to the 160-170 range for best shifting. Now I'm routing the return line back through the radiator to heat the fluid again.

Yeah, at your power level, you ought to be fine. The Z06 guys were breaking them like crazy in the first auto conversions. They had to go to a 4L80 to make them live.

Yeah, at your power level, you ought to be fine. The Z06 guys were breaking them like crazy in the first auto conversions. They had to go to a 4L80 to make them live.

They seem to live OK up to the 550-600hp area. It seems the 3-4 shift is the biggest problem when it changes to the smaller friction surfaces. There have been some good improvements since it was born, but not as much time and experience as the 4L80 of course. Since I'm running the 2.56 gear, I finish the 1/4 mi at the top end of 3rd which keeps me in that safety zone. The overall gear ratio is much better than the 4L80 unless that one has a mileage killing 3.90 - 4.10 axle. But you knew all this already. :lol

I'm hoping the C7 uses the 6L90 that can handle more.

It's not about spinning tires if you ask me. Do you get a nice tingly feeling in your happy sack when you hit the gas? If so, all good. If not, something might need to be checked. I would say these cars are designed with gearing to not spin the tires. It's a sports car, designed to grip and corner. It was not designed as a drag racer. If she GOES when you hit it...that's all that matters.

What you need to fix this problem is a Air-Intake-Supercharger-Turbo-FITS-ONLY-CHEVY-CHEVROLET :edward:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Intake-Supercharger-Turbo-FITS-ONLY-CHEVY-CHEVROLET-/251169548989?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2001%7CModel%3ACorvette&hash=item3a7adf2abd&vxp=mtr This is the lightest, most efficient, and powerful Air Intake Maximizer available on the market! It will literally feel like you have an electric shot of NOS! :3gears::LolLol:

hey alex i have 115 hp more than you and have not broke any thing yet. i did upgrade the clutch, if your worrying about braking parts dont do any upgrades drive easy you should be fine. otherwise do some upgrading and live with any parts that brake. above all have fun with it.

Smokin the tires by using the paddles? Umm .. I hope you aren't referring to 'nuetral drops' ..revvin it and dropping it into gear ..that is extraordinarily bad for automatics. They have a tendency to come apart or have a very short lifespan. And yes ..traction is guud as has been said above. If you truly want to do burnouts for laffs, put some water down. A lil tank of water, electric pump, a bit of hose routed to dump it right in front of the rear tires, a switch and you're set. That makes it easy on the drivetrain. -Frank aka GE

Hey

No i dont do neutral drops. Just tried it in auto and with paddles in S mode and traction control on.

Smokin the tires by using the paddles?

Umm .. I hope you aren't referring to 'nuetral drops' ..revvin it and dropping it into gear

..that is extraordinarily bad for automatics.

They have a tendency to come apart or have a very short lifespan.

And yes ..traction is guud as has been said above.

If you truly want to do burnouts for laffs, put some water down.

A lil tank of water, electric pump, a bit of hose routed to dump it right in front of the rear tires, a switch and you're set.

That makes it easy on the drivetrain.

-Frank aka GE