NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Decision Making Time

Phoenix FRC

Decision making time  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Phoenix FRC

Hello,

Yep, like it says, I'm stuck but at least the car is in the garage.

SO I start the car this morning on my way to work late and about half way out of the garage the car shuts off...... The message center says "Service Column Lock". :banghead

I had to restart the engine 4 times to get the car back in the garage.

SO i'm looking thru the forums and see that this was a recall for all pre 2001's and my carfax doesn't indicate that it was done.. again... :banghead

Anyway...

I see PFYC has this little simulator, :thumbs so this is a really good option.

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Scre...ry_Code=VTOTHER

vt7006.jpg

or

My mother works for GM so I get GMS prices on parts, cost plus 10%.

Now I have not priced the Electronic Column Lock actuator yet but will do that directly.

Anyway, please vote and share opinions.

Thanks,

Guest intmd8r

I don't know a ton of specifics on this issue as it doesn't apply to my car ('04 A4), but I have seen A LOT of subjects about this on the Corvette Forum. Seems that that general concensus is that the recall doesn't work and that you need the CLB (Column Lock Bypass).

Now, again, that's about the extent of what I've seen, so I don't know if this actuator is the CLB they speak of, but apparently it's very cheap and easy to install and takes care of the problem by not allowing the column to ever lock.

Maybe trying doing a search over there, as I have seen this topic over and over again and that is always what the major response is.

That may not be much help at all, but hopefully it is! :D

Phoenix FRC
I don't know a ton of specifics on this issue as it doesn't apply to my car ('04 A4), but I have seen A LOT of subjects about this on the Corvette Forum. Seems that that general concensus is that the recall doesn't work and that you need the CLB (Column Lock Bypass).

Now, again, that's about the extent of what I've seen, so I don't know if this actuator is the CLB they speak of, but apparently it's very cheap and easy to install and takes care of the problem by not allowing the column to ever lock.

Maybe trying doing a search over there, as I have seen this topic over and over again and that is always what the major response is.

Good thinking....

Like this one

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015483

Thanks, they have links to install procedures etc. Great tip.

Later,

Good thinking....

Like this one

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015483

Thanks, they have links to install procedures etc. Great tip.

Later,

did you read this part?

Q Is there any solution for this problem?

A Yes; have the recall done if you have an A4 car or install a Column Lock Bypass (CLB) on MN6 & MN12 cars BEFORE the problem occurs. Once it fails, you may not be able to fix it without GM repair.

Phoenix FRC

Yep, I saw that.

The PFYC unit comes with that cig lighter thingy, that thing is a one time needed tool to release the ECL and from then on just the bypass unit will be used.

I don't remember if the Houston vette unit has that but again this is a good point to consider because it might be worth the extra money to get the tool device thingy....

Great tips guys, I appreciate it.

The first thing I bought for this car was the CLB, followed by a some new tires. :devil Anyway, you just remove the little dash panel under the steering column and plug into the harness. Never had any issue,...yet (knocking on wood). I kept getting the recall cards in the mail, but when I had the car in to the stealership for the leaking rear diff seal they tried to tell me I had to have their recall procedure done. I advised them not to touch it as I had taken care of it myself, so they supposedly noted it somewhere in the 'puter, and I haven't heard from them since.

:burnout

Phoenix FRC

I have found out that if the car has had the recall thing done then I'll have to have it removed to make the bypass work.

I'm trying to get the answer now.

My carfax shows the recall but it also shows the status as N/A and closed. The car is out of warranty so that might explain the closed status.

Later,

OK, this topic makes me nervous. I've had my 99 since May. I have had no problems with column lock at all, actually, the column does not lock.

Is there anything I should know or check to see what the status of mine is?

WOW! That is messed up about this issue for C5s. I never heard of this before, but I don't own a C5 with all the fancy gagets and frills either. I was very curious about this though and did some reading on the Corvete forum about this and was amazed. I saw the pic of the guys C5 wrecked (so he says) because of this issue while driving. I can't beleive this could happen while driving and GM not doing something about this a long time ago. HUGE SAFETY ISSUE!!

All I can say is...I would hate to be doing a low level, high speed pass down the interstate and have that error come across the DIC and the engine shuts down and whatever else it does (if that's even possible) in a turn. :jd I also read that just because you have the recall done doesn't mean the car is fixed either, that sux! :banghead ...Just my :2cents for what it's worth.

Don't feel bad Tom, a lady I work with just got a call 15 mins ago from her son-in-law who has on 03 C5. His is sitting in their garage and it's locked up. He was getting ready to call a wrecker to take it to the dealer. I told him about the CLB fix. He was delighted.

Guest UVETTYA
I have found out that if the car has had the recall thing done then I'll have to have it removed to make the bypass work.

I'm trying to get the answer now.

My carfax shows the recall but it also shows the status as N/A and closed. The car is out of warranty so that might explain the closed status.

Later,

Tom, I've read where some were successful in getting it unlocked, by yanking on the steering wheel while turning the key on, and never had trouble with it again. Might be worth a try.

I saw that technique as well on the forum as a (temp) fix to get you going. That only makes me wonder more about the issue if you can do that. (flakey system) I wanted to look around for a 02 Z06 to match my 82 only 20 years later kind of thing, but now I'm not sure if I want to do that.

:agree

I saw that technique as well on the forum as a (temp) fix to get you going. That only makes me wonder more about the issue if you can do that. (flakey system) I wanted to look around for a 02 Z06 to match my 82 only 20 years later kind of thing, but now I'm not sure if I want to do that.

:agree Last fall I sold my 96 and JUST bought a 01 Z06. Aside from the "Service Colomn Lock" and leaking differential that was fixed 1 month ago (now leaking again):banghead , its a great car :thumbs

Electronic Column Lock motor will cost you appx $250 and to install it is appx $200. Thats a lot to pay only to have it fail again... the motors are just defective. I suggest getting the existing motor unstuck, reset the Body Control Module, and install a CLB relay... DONOT use the GM "K" Harness... It is not reliable. The latest recall is 4006C (GMs 4th attempt)and removes the lock plate and installs a K Harness--DONT DO THE K harness!!! Some dealers will just remove the lock plate, most will want to do the whole recall.. then when you get home, pull the K harness and install the CLB...... C5's are fun

I just had my column locked up @ lunch about a month ago. The 1st recall was done on the car & obviously didn't work. Had it towed to the dealership & the removed the column lock mechanism removed. This is GM's answer & the 2nd recall. So, if you can get your car down to your nearest dealership they will do the work for FREE.

Jim :devil

Phoenix FRC

The guiy that sells the CLB says if the recall was done then you have to get GM to remove it or the CLB won't work.

So then i cann GM and give them the vin# and they say it was done on the car on 7/12/05 and the warranty is 12/12.

I bought the CLB and its coming but I find out after the fact that it won't work.

i called a GM service writer and she said GM might fix it but I have to tow my car to the dealership so they can look at it and decide if it is related to the recall first.

The main problem is that the new software will shut the engine off if the car starts to roll and that's what its doing. :banghead

Right now i'm really pi$$ed that I bought a Vette, it didn't make it 4000 miles and its dead.

I just had my column locked up @ lunch about a month ago. The 1st recall was done on the car & obviously didn't work. Had it towed to the dealership & the removed the column lock mechanism removed. This is GM's answer & the 2nd recall. So, if you can get your car down to your nearest dealership they will do the work for FREE.

Jim :devil

Look, if you're in a warranty situation, by all means...take it to the stealership. If you're not, just install the CLB and save yourself a lotta time, hassle and ca$h. No more worries. At least about that issue... :leaving

Edit: Oops, sorry to hear that PhxFRC. Be careful when they tow the car, C5's aren't that easy to load up...from personal experience.

Guest Kens06

IT isn't dead!!

1. Put the key in the ignition

2. Put your left hand on the right side of the steering wheel

3. Pull DOWN with hard constant pressure while cycling the ignition between OFF and ON...NOT START!!

4. After a few tries you should hear the solenoid retract and release the wheel!!

This procedure will free up the wheel 90% of the time!

Ken

PS a marginal battery with aggrevate the situation!

The CLB just keeps constant power to the solenod so it never engages the collar!!

Question:

If it's a solenoid this is causing the problem, why can't you just remove it instead of bypassing it? It seems that bypassing it still doesn't make it 100% effective. Again, it sounds like a "VERY FLAKEY SYSTEM" to me. I guess I would need to see a diagram on how it all works.

This is a very strange issue with C5s and I can't believe GM hasn't fixed the problem yet...since 1999 model...OMG!

IT isn't dead!!

1. Put the key in the ignition

2. Put your left hand on the right side of the steering wheel

3. Pull DOWN with hard constant pressure while cycling the ignition between OFF and ON...NOT START!!

4. After a few tries you should hear the solenoid retract and release the wheel!!

This procedure will free up the wheel 90% of the time!

Ken

PS a marginal battery with aggrevate the situation!

The CLB just keeps constant power to the solenod so it never engages the collar!!

:agree

Find out from the dealer which 4006 upgrade your car had... you will need the last 8 digits of your VIN.

If your fuel cuts off at 2mph then you most likely had the software fuel cutoff upgrade (pretty sure all '04s hade it from the factory. Fuel cutoff upgrade was never installed in my '01 & I just unplugged the ECL under the dash. That will not work for you... All you have to do is get your ECL UNlocked (jerking the wheel to the right HARD does usually work :ack . Then plug in the CLB. The CLB relay tricks the Body Control Module into thinking the ECL is alway retracted (unlocked) and allow fuel to flow. Once ECL is retracted and CLB relay is installed, instructions will guide you through the process of pulling fuse #25 to clear the BCM computer. Thats why everyone says to install CLB BEFORE your ECL motor craps out!!! My friend...I feel your pain... wait till your diff begins to drip... now there's a smokin good time!! :thumbs Don't waste you $$ putting in a new ECL motor... besides, GM will not pay for that!!! They would rather have you own a car with theft protection equal to my 1961 VW Dune Buggy!!! :lol:lol

Phoenix FRC

Ok Mark,

You really have my attention, I'm a little worries about what level of recall was installed in the car.

The guy at HoustonCorvette.com or whatever it ws said to have them GM un-install the recall.

He said some hardware recall work might short out or cause a problem.... Crap...

So I'm wondering if I have software or the K-harness thing some people have been talking about. or both.

I'm going to search the world over on CF and see if I can figure out what the K-harness thing looks like etc.

I just want to know that it will work with the recall work completed.

isn't this thie picture of it?

Are there other alternatives?

A Yes; there is a GM "Harness K" GM part no. 88952427, which GM installs on A4 cars; it's been said to cost ~ $85.50 + S&H from Fitchner Chevrolet.

img_0268_clb.jpg

This harness is installed leaving the Column Lock Motor active. However the Lock Plate inside the steering column must be removed or replaced. If installing on a MN6/M12, do NOT connect up the column lock motor harness side (C207 female receptacle).

Ok Mark,

You really have my attention, I'm a little worries about what level of recall was installed in the car.

The guy at HoustonCorvette.com or whatever it ws said to have them GM un-install the recall.

He said some hardware recall work might short out or cause a problem.... Crap...

So I'm wondering if I have software or the K-harness thing some people have been talking about. or both.

I'm going to search the world over on CF and see if I can figure out what the K-harness thing looks like etc.

Ok Mark,

ANY Chevy dealer can tell you what 4006 rev your Vette has. The guy at COH is right--- 4006C (the most recent fix) is the worst revision yet-- the K harness incorporates some cheap-ass parts that have a high failure rate. DO NOT allow that version to be done... you'll be sorry -----HMMM Chevy using cheap-ass parts???? Go figure :crazy

Just give your VIN# to any Chevy dealer. They will tell you (over the phone) where you stand. Of course, you can check yourself by looking at the ECL wire bundle under the steering column which requires minor dash disasembly. An Orange/Purple/Black/Green bundle is a pre-4006C harness (thats good) if you see a White wire instead of Black---Well thats not so good. However, if you have the 4006C revision, it is still under waranty until 2/2008. Just get the Vette flatbedded back to a Chevy stealer so they can replace the defective K harness. When you get home.... pull it out and put in your CLB relay

Phoenix FRC

The crazy thing is that I called a service writer today and all she could tell was that something was done on 7-12-05 and if I brought it in GM might pay for a new fix.

What I really want is to get that crap out of my car and install the simulator that will arrive at my front door Friday.

I'll scrub the information as much as possible tomorrow and see what I can.

This is a copy of the information I got when I bought the car.

http://www.azclubgp.com/pdxgtp/PDXGTP/Corv...uHT-records.doc

It calles out some harness kit so lik I said, I'll figure it out asap.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.. :thumbs:yesnod