NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The '78 is getting a rebuild

finallyavette

finallyavette

Zoom Zoom Video

No oiling problems, its spewing out a steady stream to all lifters, priming tool was just garbage. I started in on the jacks and shifted through all the gears, no vibrations so far. A little transmission fluid coming out of the yoke seal, not sure why.

One more warm up session and I'll torque everything one more time.

Video of the first time out of the driveway - carb was all in-cooperative and timing was retarded. I leaned it a bit and put the timing light on it, and all was good again with the world. Running @ 0 advance right now, will take it up to 8 degrees after I'm sure there are no internal engine issues.

My wife laughing ... LOL

The fuel pressure isn't stable with the mechanical pump and it's above the 6-8 psi recommended by Edelbrock, so a regulator and new filter soon.

I set car alarms off during the test drive around the block. Black Hookers FTW!!

I ordered glass pack inserts for the side pipes so I don't rattle the windows in the neighborhood too bad.

It's going to be hard to go 500 miles of driving like a snow bird then oil change. I'll take a leisurely cruise to see Doug soon.

:3gears:

I also need to figure out the slop in my steering column. Fun ...

Upgrades next year:

Aluminum Rad w/ electric fans

Fix anything I break in the next 6 months :facepalm:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• finallyavette

• Bromley's Corvettes

• LastC3

• Desertdawg

Bromley's Corvettes

Good job sounds like a hot rod. Your wife sounds real supportive lol. I bet I can help you with the steering sloop.

I don't think your going to drive by very many cops sounding like that either...:lol Nice to see it moving again!

Soundin pretty darn good .... Always fun wakin up the neighbors .... :edward:

This may be of some help with your steering column .... Pretty straight forward

Linky

I set car alarms off during the test drive around the block. Black Hookers FTW!!

Yeah....you've been here long enough. Enjoy your new tagline! :thumbs

I set car alarms off during the test drive around the block.

:thumbs

Has been great watching this project unfold. Hope to see you and the '78 at an event soon!

Very cool that's it running again! :rockon2: Had the same issue with my fuel pressure and the Edelbrock carb - they are overly touchy when it comes to that. Looking good!!! Adam

• 2 months later...
finallyavette

Bad news and good news I put on about 1500 miles and it gouged 2 bearings ... pulling engine back out and putting in an eagle crank like i should have done in the first place being a cheap ass to save a few hundred bucks just added a week of work booooooo will put up pics of the bearings - 6 of them are clean and 2 have a nice groove right down to the copper on the bright side that 5 speed is a blast ..

finallyavette

yes sir - honestly I think the bearings would have been fine for a long time

I didnt edge the oiling holes and I think a chunk of garbage got in there and got stuck briefly

the scrapes are literally like the width of a pen tip and outside of that the white coating is still there - so really no wear at all

big take away is make sure everything is clean before you reassemble - one floater and toast

We'll see how ambitious I get this time - I was looking at a different cam setup to make it more lopey

I think what I am going to do is keep the zz4 how I have it setup then find a new 350 block and over the next year or so build up a 450-500 hp small block to put in after I burn this one

the 5 speed tranny install was cake tho - hardest thing i thought was centering the bell housing

If anyone has a block sitting around that they dont need let me know

That sucks but up grades are always cool.

Bromley's Corvettes

I have a nice 383c.i engine I will make you a deal on. Its about a 475h.p set up alum heads and big cam and 10.1 and balanced and blueprinted. Its for my 81 hot rod vette project but will sell if I can get a fair price. Posted Image

• 4 months later...
finallyavette

Figured since I'm trolling around might as well update.

Drive train with the Tremec from Tom at Amp Performance is a blast. A Special thanks to Doug Bromley for helping out with questions and stuff. We've been up into the mountains and out to Roosevelt.

Since then I have blown out the rear brake calipers and rebuilt them, at least they were stainless lined. All I needed to do was clean the grime and polish and add new rubber rings. I held my own with a Taurus SHO the night those died.

I have been doing little mechanical things, car is almost new on all the stuff that counts.

This week the front fender and looks like a good bit of the clip is loose from the firewall. After close inspection, it appears it was in a collision at some point in it's life. I figured it had been in something when I pulled the engine and rebuilt the suspension.

Whatever Billy Bob repaired it used bondo as the panel adhesive and build up. I assume the heat from the headers and side pipes was just enough to make the bondo soft and break it down.

I started poking around and it the places you normally don't look there is 5 gallon of pink shit slopping out ....

I might pull the whole front and remove the bondo use actual Evercoat adhesive, or just take it off and buy a replacement clip for a grand.

It's been a damn fun time so far even with the problems, my wife keeps reminding me that I wanted a wrench turner.

Anyone got a good trusted body guy they can recommend? This turd is going to be burnt orange with a brown interior and black side pipes ....

finallyavette

I have a nice 383c.i engine I will make you a deal on. Its about a 475h.p set up alum heads and big cam and 10.1 and balanced and blueprinted. Its for my 81 hot rod vette project but will sell if I can get a fair price. :yesnod

Find me a 75-77 with a straight body to dump it in and we might have a deal :D

• 1 month later...
finallyavette

Back body together and touched up. I fixed the crack the previous owner put in the fender and the paint bubbles, now I got a low spot in the driver side fender I didn't notice. :facepalm:

Leaving it until I either find a a straighter body to put the engine and tranny in, or if I ever decide to pull the entire body off and really do something exciting.

Posted Image