NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Chuck Cow Tune?

mmacfn

Say what you want, I do not see any other aftermarket manufacturers assisting their customers under M-M.

Chad may be right about winning against GM and their huge bankroll and may prove hard to fight. K&N shouldn't have to do what they do either against the dealers. I have a tune in my Ford truck and was thinking about adding a Roush CAI kit that just so happens to be the same kit as Ford puts on their Cobra Stang and would hope that Ford wouldn't turn me down if my valve covers are leaking or a bad injector because of either mod. The mod I have is geared more towards gas mileage vs. all out power mod and does a better job than stock at the moment. Where I bought my truck in NM, the dealer was a "tune friendly" dealer and had no problem with you doing that as long as you didn't destroy the motor and have things hanging out of the block and say you have to warranty that now. Lots of diesel truck owners there and most have tunes. Again, I think it's all on what kind of dealer you have to contend with and their views on tunes and the community they live and sell vehicles in and how bad do they want to stay in business with the ranchers,farmers and everyone else at least in NM where I was. Here in the valley may be a different story because of the shear volume of potential customers. They can probably get away with doing whatever they want and still sell a ton of vehicles. So finally, I just wanted to provide some more info on this subject, not to say anyone is wrong here on what they are saying. I hope I never have to deal with a tune issue before my warranty runs out either. :eek On a side note, SCT may be another company that will fight for MM, not sure though.

Say what you want, I do not see any other aftermarket manufacturers assisting their customers under M-M.

Most likely the products other aftermarket manufacturers supply are either cut and dried voided warranty (cams, tunes, head work, ect.) or of no significant consequence (headers, mufflers, valve covers, etc.).

Usually a consumer knows full well they've stepped over the line when they opt for cams and tunes, so when they're denied warranty, they accept it.

The muffler stuff is not an issue that dealers really care about, so they don't void warranties for the petty items that aren't major contributors to a failure.

Since K&N is sold in almost anywhere car parts or supplies are sold, it becomes something average Joe Blow sticks on his car in hopes he can gain 15-20 HP or add 7 more MPG. When the poor schmuck starts to have idle issues and surging, he takes it to his dealer. The dealer can't tune out the problem and blames K&N that their system screwed up the MAF. So the customer gets charged for repair/replacement and bitches to K&N. K&N sends the customer a new unit and a check for losses. Then K&N files a suit and the dealer cuts his losses and sends K&N a check. K&N pins it on the wall as a trophy. Chances are the customer never goes back to that dealer again, even if the problem returns.

If you read between the lines on the K&N website about the issues they have had regarding MAF failure claims, you'll add up all the different responses and unfounded reasons, but come up about 6% short of all the claims. They'll never respond to questions about that last 6%, because those were legitimate claims that did ruin MAFs. Then in typical huge corporation style, the information never gets forwarded to the IT department to revise the website.

Any comparitive analysis of air filters usually shows K&N toward the bottom of filtration effectiveness. Max airflow and max filtration are at opposite ends of the scale. Effective advertising touts high performance, which is what sells the product.

Well As a 'Jeep Guy" my whole life who does all his own work, there is a reason we call them "stealer-ships". Their goal is to peg any failure of anykind on anything they can which avoids them having a warranty claim and allows them to make more money. Ive had yelling match arguments with stealer-ships who try and claim modifications ive made to the jeep were responsible for unrelated issues because of shoddy design or faulty parts made in china. One thing ive learned over the last 15 years of this with jeeps is that they are anything BUT honest. Is that everyone? No, but it is most certainly the majority since they have an incentive NOT to honor a warranty if they can get away with it. I dont trust them at all.

Most likely the products other aftermarket manufacturers supply are either cut and dried voided warranty (cams, tunes, head work, ect.) or of no significant consequence (headers, mufflers, valve covers, etc.).

Usually a consumer knows full well they've stepped over the line when they opt for cams and tunes, so when they're denied warranty, they accept it.

The muffler stuff is not an issue that dealers really care about, so they don't void warranties for the petty items that aren't major contributors to a failure.

Since K&N is sold in almost anywhere car parts or supplies are sold, it becomes something average Joe Blow sticks on his car in hopes he can gain 15-20 HP or add 7 more MPG. When the poor schmuck starts to have idle issues and surging, he takes it to his dealer. The dealer can't tune out the problem and blames K&N that their system screwed up the MAF. So the customer gets charged for repair/replacement and bitches to K&N. K&N sends the customer a new unit and a check for losses. Then K&N files a suit and the dealer cuts his losses and sends K&N a check. K&N pins it on the wall as a trophy. Chances are the customer never goes back to that dealer again, even if the problem returns.

If you read between the lines on the K&N website about the issues they have had regarding MAF failure claims, you'll add up all the different responses and unfounded reasons, but come up about 6% short of all the claims. They'll never respond to questions about that last 6%, because those were legitimate claims that did ruin MAFs. Then in typical huge corporation style, the information never gets forwarded to the IT department to revise the website.

Any comparitive analysis of air filters usually shows K&N toward the bottom of filtration effectiveness. Max airflow and max filtration are at opposite ends of the scale. Effective advertising touts high performance, which is what sells the product.

So out of the 100 times they are blamed, only 6 are not unfounded? Sounds like a reason to pin those checks on the wall to me.

Now if someone could only figure out how STFTs and idle RPM are related....

So out of the 100 times they are blamed, only 6 are not unfounded? Sounds like a reason to pin those checks on the wall to me.

Now if someone could only figure out how STFTs and idle RPM are related....

Really now. Would you buy a product that if it screwed up your car you knew it had a 6% chance of being caused by that product? And that the 6% was only derived from the small percentage that had problems who complained? It's unknown how many really had issues and either didn't care or understood what they needed to do to cure them.

I know full well that the original "lifetime" filter in my Vararam is crap for keeping out dirt and screws up the idle too. I chose the Vararam for the power, not filtration. I've since adapted a Donaldson filter to keep things clean.

A Donaldson, really? I thought you had to drive a friggin' bulldozer to use one of their filters. Are you using a light, medium, or heavy? I know we are steering this off of the CoW starting point, but I would like to hear more about this.

A Donaldson, really? I thought you had to drive a friggin' bulldozer to use one of their filters. Are you using a light, medium, or heavy?

I know we are steering this off of the CoW starting point, but I would like to hear more about this.

The original filter for all Z06, ZR1, and LS3 Corvettes is a Donaldson Powercore. I sorted through the depths of their website to find everyday automotive filters and found one that can be easily modified to fit the Vararam CAI. I lose .05-.06 ET compared to no filter, but it filters far better than the one Vararam supplied which is comparable to a K&N.

Roaming off topic either turns out bad or you learn things you never thought to ask about. :yesnod

• 4 weeks later...