NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

need ideas for our road trip honeymoon

Marco

We'll be heading out in the rv to experience America together as a married couple and need ideas for cool places to see since we have not ever seen America this way. We are leaving AZ any day and will go as far as Jimmy Buffets place Margaritaville on the Florida Keys. So help us out friends and post up. We will post up at your suggested place. woooo hoooo here we go! btw the ACE shirts will be representing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marco

• Desertdawg

• TheCMSH

• Big Poppa

Probably the most important question, are you taking the Vette? If so, you need Vette-friendly roads which will eliminate some routes I would suggest

Northern NM is pretty cool, and some fun winding roads if in a vette... Taos, red river, angel fire, etc make up the enchanted circle ... spent alot of summers in the area. If you decide to really go that way I could give more info Tim

What kind of time ? A: would be North thru western Colorado, spend some time in Durango, then off to Wine country palisades, then North to The Tetons and of course Old Faithful. Then East to Mount Rushmore. A complete view of the West with spectacular views and many areas to stop, do some fishing in Wyo thru the Wind River. B: Going East.... Why C: going along the southern route east again WHY Fly over to the East coast and go up thru Georgia and the east coast to Maine stopping along the way to see how the Evergreen East coast has many beautiful areas. D: of course you could always drive to the Corvette Museum.... But what ever you do really enjoy your selfs, and make it a great HONEYMOON..................

If you go through San Antonio, and I suggest doing it as quickly as you can... You gotta get some Texas Pride BBQ. Best I've ever had. It's just outside San Antonio in Adkins. Take the 1604 south 7 miles from I-10 and you're there. It's awesome. Tell Ray the cook that Big Poppa from Tucson sent you, it'll make him smile. http://www.texaspridebbq.net/

If you are willing to stray farther north... Bowling Green. Take a factory tour. It's bad ass. If you had the Vette, I would say do Deal's Gap (the tail of the dragon) as it's close to there. On your way through Memphis, stop at Cozy Corner BBQ. best BBQ beans I've ever had, and the rest is pretty awesome too. http://www.cozycornerbbq.com/

If you're staying south on I-10, everything sucks HARD until you get to San Antonio. But at least from there you will see signs of life. And green stuff. You can go to LG in Dallas... You can see Hennessey in Houston. England Green is also in Houston. You can go see the Houston Space center... In Houston hit up Goode Co. BBQ, or their seafood restaurant. They are both fantastic.

There's some good cajun as you go through LA. Hit up Red Jacket Firearms as you go through Baton rouge. Also in Baton Rouge is a place called TJ's Ribs. the ribs are pretty tasty, I've been there a few times. They are right off the 10 on south Acadian Ave. www.tjribs.com

If you go to New Orleans, stop at Deanie's Seafood in Metairie. DAMN that place is good!!!! http://www.deanies.com/

Other than that, I'd say hit up whatever racetracks you are close to. If you make the Atlanta area, go to road Atlanta. Totally worth it!!! If you're there on a race weekend, you can drive the track at the lunch interval. (see below...)

Posted Image

Stone Mountain, GA is a great stop, you can see 7 states from there, Gatlinburg TN or the Cumberland Gap, KY are nice places along with Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, SC for a golf stop. The old Spanish Fort in St. Augustine, FL is pretty cool and the worlds best roller coaster amusement park is Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH and its only and hours drive from the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Guest badbobs95

With the cost off gas---Tempe and back

Hey Bob, would you really go that far in a motorhome? Let's see, 4 MPG maybe, less if they're towing the vette. Don't forget to take Eddie's gas card with yall! Have fun, ya hear? Posted Image

Stone Mountain, GA is a great stop, you can see 7 states from there, Gatlinburg TN or the Cumberland Gap, KY are nice places along with Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, SC for a golf stop. The old Spanish Fort in St. Augustine, FL is pretty cool and the worlds best roller coaster amusement park is Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH and its only and hours drive from the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Damn dude...sweet all good....also look @ Destin FL, oysters and Yuengling Beer!!!

I say back to my home town kansas city missouri. best bbq in america, plus they have the jazz district, and I believe they have Walt Disney's bulding restored where he created mickey mouse, also they have the plaza. the plaza was the first out door mall in america, very beautiful too. they built kansas city to imitate Paris, France. they have fountians everywhere. man I miss home.lol

In no particular order. . . The River Walk in San Antonio, with the Alamo right there; Bourbon Street in New Orleans; The Gateway Arch in St. Louis - take the ride to the top if yer not claustrophobic and then visit the Budweiser Brewery right down the road from the arch; Talladega Speedway in Alabama; Great Smokey Mountains - I-40 between Knoxville TN and Asheville NC is spectacular scenery; Pompano Beach just north of Miami - white sand, and 80 degree water 4 feet deep a few hundred feet out; The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo - 72 ounce steak. FREE if eaten in one hour (with all the trimmings). Since this is your honeymoon, be sure to have sex at least once in each of the 48 states. We'll see ya when you get back in about 10 years. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Since this is your honeymoon, be sure to have sex at least once in each of the 48 states.

:facepalm: 48? I guess the highway to Alaska is closed...oh well! Hey, just float that barge over to Hawaii and catch 49 states anyway. Doh! :rockon2:

Since this is your honeymoon, be sure to have sex at least once in each of the 48 states.

:facepalm: 48? I guess the highway to Alaska is closed...oh well! Hey, just float that barge over to Hawaii and catch 49 states anyway. Doh! :rockon2:

I didn't think Canada would let Marc drive through. . . :LolLol: Does their RV have pontoons for the Hawaii trip?

Since this is your honeymoon, be sure to have sex at least once in each of the 48 states. We'll see ya when you get back in about 10 years. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

It's Marco...won't take THAT long! :smilelol

If you go near Tennessee, hit Memphis, Graceland, Nashville, and Bowling Green. All within about 4 hours drive of each other.

If you go near Tennessee, hit Memphis, Graceland, Nashville, and Bowling Green. All within about 4 hours drive of each other.

I'm gonna do that sometime. that would be a fun trip.

In no particular order. . .

The River Walk in San Antonio, with the Alamo right there;

Bourbon Street in New Orleans;

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis - take the ride to the top if yer not claustrophobic and then visit the Budweiser Brewery right down the road from the arch;

Talladega Speedway in Alabama;

Great Smokey Mountains - I-40 between Knoxville TN and Asheville NC is spectacular scenery;

Pompano Beach just north of Miami - white sand, and 80 degree water 4 feet deep a few hundred feet out;

The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo - 72 ounce steak. FREE if eaten in one hour (with all the trimmings).

Since this is your honeymoon, be sure to have sex at least once in each of the 48 states. We'll see ya when you get back in about 10 years. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Donna,

I like the way you think about including a stop at my graceland,Talledega. Will you marry me? lol!

If you're in Atlanta, stop at the Georgia Aquarium, it's seriously cool. They are the largest aquarium in the world. It's got over 8 million gallons of sea water. It's soo large, they have 2 Whale Sharks.

If you go to Bowling green , you can see the vettes being built...but don't go on a Friday...they only build 4 days a week at the plant ! did you guys know that ? I learned it on my tour last summer :)

Guest Sidewinder

Jim can't read. If you pass through Colorado Springs hit NORAD. Make sure you see the big springs the mountain sits on so it can survive a direct nuclear strike. Then go to the SATNAV room (use your AZ drivers license to get in). Then the chow hall, top notch grub. Don't worry about the guys pointin rifles at ya, that's how they say welcome.

Jim can't read.

If you pass through Colorado Springs hit NORAD. Make sure you see the big springs the mountain sits on so it can survive a direct nuclear strike. Then go to the SATNAV room (use your AZ drivers license to get in). Then the chow hall, top notch grub. Don't worry about the guys pointin rifles at ya, that's how they say welcome.

^^^^Yeah, this!^^^^^ I gotta stop trying to read the forum off my phone, the eyes don't focus well enough anymore for that. Kinda coincidental, I was going to suggest a Colorado route. Up through northern AZ, through Monument Valley up through southern Utah, then pick up I-70 eastbound at Grand Junction into Denver. That I-70 route is almost all along the Colorado River and its gorgeous

I got nuthin' You mean theres another coast in this country? Ok, how about: Top off the gas tank in Las Cruces New Mexico, that way you can make it through El Paso without stopping... Or take your passports if you do stop there.

Dwayne, you're a day late and a dollar short on that advice! LOL We've had quite the trip thus far: Get this... we are driving a 12 yr old Winnebago Rialta that has been baking in the sun for that many years! It probably had one oil change in that entire time. We just did the 2nd oil change before leaving AZ. Now, Marc's wondering if all the other fluids should have been changed. Argh! Thoughts on that anyone??! This RV had 5000 miles when we left AZ so Marc's dad never got out in it to see America as he had wished to do. So, here we are fulfilling Kirby's dream of seeing he country he so loved. We finally hit the road on Saturday late morning after discovering the dual LP regulator sprung a leak. After driving for an hour, we noticed the a/c wasn't too cold and had to stop at WallyWorld in Casa Grande to buy freon to recharge A/C. We then discovered the windshield wiper sprayers were dried out and broken. We made it to Camping World in Tucson and bought a new LP regulator and water cap. Thankfully Marco can fix anything! We were back on the road again. Driving along after leaving AZ, we stopped at WallyWorld in Las Cruces, NM. We needed a couple of folding chairs and stuff. Then off to Travel America 6 miles away to hit the dumping station. I went in to pay but NO wallet!! I called WalMart and by God's good grace, they had it! Back to WallyWorld...the long way! Marco headed west down the I-10 instead of east so you know how that goes.. No exit for miles!! We eventually got my wallet....phew!!! And believe it or not, Dwayne, I had my passport and used it as proof of ownership for my wallet!! It was Marco's idea to bring passports...weird. Driving down the road again on the way to wallet, the back shelf fell down on one side only hanging by the electrical wiring! So, the trip to WallyWorld wasn't such a waste. I bought wod glue and wood screws so Marco could go back to work on the rv! We don't want him to get all fat and lazy now, do we? LOL. Don't want him to forget HOW to work! LOL On the way out of Las Cruces we drove down Valley Rd towards Main St and suddenly heard the train warning and saw the red lights as the barrier starts falling....on us!! We were on the tracks! Thanks to Marco's quick reflexes he throws the rv into reverse and gets us off the tracks but we are still between the barriers! I thought we were in a Stephen King novel!! This town wouldn't let us get out alive!! We made it out and into El Paso. We stayed at a cute RV resort and got a good night's sleep. We are headed to BP's suggestion of Texas Pride BQ place outside of San Antonio. I thought it would be a great dinner place as e should be there by 5:30 or so. We will keep you all posted. Marco will post more later ;-) Hey, why does an iPad not work with the forum? It won't let me type in the reply box.