NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Corvette Saturday 7/8/06

Guest 71airstrike

Guest 71airstrike

Well this guy...

Photo_13.jpg

has a new radatior and Ive offered to help him install it at my place.

If there are any others who want to drop by to

A: assist with the install

B: offer expertiese with the install

C: supervise (sit in a chair and drink beer while we work)

All are welcome.

for thoes who dont know I live at 6510 w westwind dr Glendale. Happy valley road and 67Ave.

Chris (Togo) I get up earley(6am), so what time do you want to start?

cheers

chad

I will come out most likely. I just purchused the same radiator and will need to intsall one of these days also.

if you get up at 6 am then i'll head over as soon as i wake up - usually between 7-8 (but if earlier, i'm out the door!

i'll stop by the store tomorrow and pick up a bunch of gallons of water - the fluid in my radiator is about 90%+ water only - as it has a hole in a heater hose (which i also hope to change that day) do you have a BIG drain pan? or should i just hope it all boils out when i shut off the car when i get to your place? :willy

Guest 71airstrike

I was thinking that we would let the car drain in the driveway. then we can push her back into the garage, jack her up, and start R/R.

I would advise against running 90%/10% mix antifreez/water. The antifreeze does help lube the water pump, and keep the boiling point of the water up.

I would suggest a 50/50 mix

just my 2 cts

cheers

chad

I was thinking that we would let the car drain in the driveway. then we can push her back into the garage, jack her up, and start R/R.

I would advise against running 90%/10% mix antifreez/water. The antifreeze does help lube the water pump, and keep the boiling point of the water up.

just my 2 cts

cheers

chad

they say that the 'additives' like water wetter and royal purple purple ice is more effective the less anti freeze you use - so it sounds like they encourage less than 50/50 - not that i planned on 90/10, i'm just saying that's probably what i'm at RIGHT NOW due to the heater hose leak i have (picked that hose up today!)

so i'll find out what what the total capacity is and adjust accordingly!

I would run 50/50 as that is what everything was designed to work with.

I'm not sure how "hard" the water is out here (tastes like ass btw) but I knew alot of folks that wouldn't use tap water in the radiators back east as the minerals would get in there and clog it up.

We are headed to Vegas otherwise I'd chip in...

I'm not sure how "hard" the water is out here (tastes like ass btw) but I knew alot of folks that wouldn't use tap water in the radiators back east as the minerals would get in there and clog it up.

water here is as hard as a stiff....well, let's just say it's pretty hard!

i plan on running purified bottled water - for 50 cents a gallon - i consider it money well spent!

i had to replace the intake manifold on my truck because i would only put tap water in (no antifreeze) and it rusted through the top!!!!

Desertdawg

Me Jammye and Sam are coming to town, I'm going to see if I can sneak in a visit.... :huh

Guest LT4ME

i plan on running purified bottled water - for 50 cents a gallon - i consider it money well spent!

i had to replace the intake manifold on my truck because i would only put tap water in (no antifreeze) and it rusted through the top!!!!

Buy distilled water, not purified. :)

just my 2 cts

cheers

chad

I have run the Vette and a few other vehicles (while in AZ) on straight distilled water and Redline's Water Wetter.

You could go with a 90/10 mix and should be just fine. Just make sure to use distilled (not filtered, not softened, not tap). Most radiator problems come from the minerals that are in the water, and AZ water has plenty of them in there.

You will get better cooling on straight water than with a 50/50 mix. You do however need another additive to lube the seals of the water pump and to break the tension of the water to help transfer heat from the metal to the water and back.

Now, if you plan on going somewhere where it may get below 32 degrees for a long time, then I would go back to a 60/40 or 50/50 mix.

EDIT: P.S. -- it's going to be a nice cool 86 degrees for a high on Saturday, and about 70 ish at 6 a.m.

I just washed the Vette and it was a bit cool out with the water running. :leaving

Buy distilled water, not purified. :)

got it! i am finding it harder and harder to find distilled water - but i'll keep an eye out tonight on the way home from dinner! :burnout

thanks for hosting chad - and thanks robert for lending a hand

and thanks phil for pointing and laughing :P

man, those calzones were something else, we gotta do that place again!

i'll check the fluid tomorrow and see what's up - it took a little longer than i expected - but like dchad said, we screwed around a lot - on the other hand, it was a little easier than expected.

Desertdawg

I sure hope I didn't scare you guys to much with Sam's monster V6 roar as I went by...... :P

I sure hope I didn't scare you guys to much with Sam's monster V6 roar as I went by...... :P

Probably quicker than an 80's Vette! :lol

Glad to hear it went smoothly and Chris (or his vette anyway) won't be leaking all over anymore. I guess things get done, even without Andrew pointing and 'supervising'. :D

M~

Oh and Chad-glad you were able to cure Robert's virus! :thumbs