NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Next generation blowers, electric?

Ted Y

I read an article recently about how BMW was looking at going back to a six cylinder with forced induction for the next M Series. It said they were looking at a turbo setup along with an electrically driven blower (ducted fan?) which could spin up incredibly fast to deliver low RPM boost until the turbos could spin up. It sounds very cool and cutting edge. Any thoughts on this? I think it's an awesome idea.

I have not heard of forcing air onto the turbine, that is interesting. The Mechatronik Division of EcoMotors has developed an electrically controlled turbocharger, using an electric motor to achieve high RPM rapidly. I have also heard that they are exploring the opportunity able to use the turbo to generate voltage through the same magnets and windings using the generator principle, allowing the alternator to disengage while cruising, increasing available power and economy.

It takes some pretty serious power (kW or HP) to pressurize a manifold as the article suggests. My bet is they only have half of the story.

haa ha ha No, unfortunately a leaf blower is an air mover, but not an air compressor. And before you say "Yeah, but a Roots blower is just an air mover, too", the Roots blower has tremendously low leakage rates compared to a fan found in a leaf blower. Plus, the HP found in largest electric industrial hand-held leaf blowers do not have near enough power to compress or move the air required to pressurize a running engine. so there, LOL

A roots or a screw type supercharger that provides instant boost at any RPM is the best recipe for perma-grin ever invented. :):3gears:

It's amazing just how much horsepower is consumed just spinning a roots style blower when making boost. WE have electric power steering on production cars now, and I've read that electric A/C compressors are in the near future...all which will get rid of the parasitic drag these devices have on an engine. But an electric positive displacement blower ? I've heard that the latest 465+ HP Hemi's of today couldn't even turn over a roots blower of a top fuel engine when in full boost.

To Victor: we actually have electric A/C compressors now. They are primarily used on hybrids so the A/C will still work when the engine is not running. They are hermetic, like the ones used in a refrigerator. To Ted: I also gleaned that they are using some sort of electrical centrifugal design. I am also not buying it, there has to be some pieces missing if they are looking at using that to make boost.

To Victor: we actually have electric A/C compressors now. They are primarily used on hybrids so the A/C will still work when the engine is not running. They are hermetic, like the ones used in a refrigerator.

To Ted: I also gleaned that they are using some sort of electrical centrifugal design. I am also not buying it, there has to be some pieces missing if they are looking at using that to make boost.

Aaahhh....makes sense.

It's amazing just how much horsepower is consumed just spinning a roots style blower when making boost. WE have electric power steering on production cars now, and I've read that electric A/C compressors are in the near future...all which will get rid of the parasitic drag these devices have on an engine.

But an electric positive displacement blower ?

I've heard that the latest 465+ HP Hemi's of today couldn't even turn over a roots blower of a top fuel engine when in full boost.

Considering that a top fuel car pumps enough air for 12+ gallons of nitro, through the blower in under 5 seconds at a 3 to 1 air/fuel ratio, it's an enormous requirement.

Well if the electric blower doesn't have enough power to force feed a manifold, perhaps they could use it to crush ice and make slushy goodness?

CH3NO2 is actually closer to 1.7:1. It is an incredibly needy fuel.

Well if the electric blower doesn't have enough power to force feed a manifold, perhaps they could use it to crush ice and make slushy goodness?

Indeed :)

supercharged88

I have not heard of forcing air onto the turbine, that is interesting.

The Mechatronik Division of EcoMotors has developed an electrically controlled turbocharger, using an electric motor to achieve high RPM rapidly. I have also heard that they are exploring the opportunity able to use the turbo to generate voltage through the same magnets and windings using the generator principle, allowing the alternator to disengage while cruising, increasing available power and economy.

you havnt heard of forcing air into the turbine? quite a few military vehicles are supercharged and turbo charged... mercedes and there old slk is supercharged and turbo charged. the charger would be the low end boost until the turbo takes over when it has spooled up.. i have been for a few years been looking into building my motor now in my vette to a supercharged twin turbo set up but not found someone to undertake the tunning aspect of it. so its possible..

I have not heard of forcing air onto the turbine, that is interesting.

The Mechatronik Division of EcoMotors has developed an electrically controlled turbocharger, using an electric motor to achieve high RPM rapidly. I have also heard that they are exploring the opportunity able to use the turbo to generate voltage through the same magnets and windings using the generator principle, allowing the alternator to disengage while cruising, increasing available power and economy.

you havnt heard of forcing air into the turbine? quite a few military vehicles are supercharged and turbo charged... mercedes and there old slk is supercharged and turbo charged. the charger would be the low end boost until the turbo takes over when it has spooled up.. i have been for a few years been looking into building my motor now in my vette to a supercharged twin turbo set up but not found someone to undertake the tunning aspect of it. so its possible..

Give me one example of air being forced into a turbine.

I am acutely aware of using a supercharger and a turbocharger in tandem, as I am also aware of using a turbocharger and a blower on the old two stroke diesel applications.

So again, I ask, give me one example of someone forcing air, not exhaust gas into a turbocharger turbine.

supercharged88

like i just said quite a few military vehicles do this... there is not valve to switch from the supercharger to turbo like there is in say a mercedes the charger feeds the turbo straight away.. i know ive worked on them many many many many times. when i was in the army.. m113- hemmits, pls and so on

like i just said quite a few military vehicles do this... there is not valve to switch from the supercharger to turbo like there is in say a mercedes the charger feeds the turbo straight away.. i know ive worked on them many many many many times. when i was in the army.. m113- hemmits, pls and so on

I am not sure we are on the page. I get that the supercharger is feeding the turbo, not a big deal, but it is feeding it on the compressor side, not the turbine side.

So, again, how are you getting air to the turbine side?